• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New RIOT Trainer

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
So I was in the CBT lab at Whiting yesterday, messing with RIOT before my sim. Apparently there is a new version (5.whatever) that incorporates the GPS. Anybody know where to download this version of RIOT? I looked at CNATRA and TRAWING 5, but they still have the old 4.4 version. Thanks!

anant

i checked out the link above but seems i need to sell my windows vista and buy a xp instead. moreover the page seems to have expired for me. nyways seems like got to download the old version

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Do you guys still have microsims that are basically MSFS rigged up to some goofy controls designed to simulate a T-34? They fly like crap, but if you can stay on parameters, you'll be good in the sim and amazing in the plane. I used those before every BI/RI sim, that's what got me through Primary.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Do you guys still have microsims that are basically MSFS rigged up to some goofy controls designed to simulate a T-34? They fly like crap, but if you can stay on parameters, you'll be good in the sim and amazing in the plane. I used those before every BI/RI sim, that's what got me through Primary.
They still have them.....time is better spent in the actual sim. GPS in the T-34 is a POS, know the basics and you should be alright, concentrate on RADIO instruments.

Kycntryboy

pilot
GPS in the T-34 is a POS,
Compared to what we have? Ha... I'll take that shit, at least I wouldn't have to manual type in every waypoint, you get the airport, approaches and the freqs. Plus, the GPS did help you with SA on NAV 5? you could see airports as you past them in flight.
I do agree with FLYTPAY though, if you know your proceedures the GPS is just icing, and you'll be set for advanced.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Compared to what we have? Ha... I'll take that shit, at least I wouldn't have to manual type in every waypoint...

Can't speak for the Rhino, but the Hornet ain't that different. 60 waypoint database, and beyond that you're typing it in.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Another training aid: Microsoft FSX. If you have a computer that can run it its pretty darn good. You wont have a T-34 to fly but you can get online in a private session with a buddy share or fly a separate aircraft and fly almost any approach in the U.S. with your pubs. You obviously wont be able to do aircraft specific stuff like specific power changes and exact T-34 airspeeds, but it will help with the big picture and show you where you are most likely to get task saturated and screw up. Also if you can fly forms in FSX with a friend you'll definitely be able to do it in the plane with a trim wheel no problem. The only downside is you need a decent computer and a decent joystick. If you have the money I recommend it.

utak

Hello all,

Hate to bump this thread, but is there any other alternate downloads for the RIOT Trainer? The link that's given above does not seem to work anymore and I'm really looking for the version that has the T-6 featured in it.

sniksnak

Flew Hornets when the Navy still did that
pilot
They still have them.....time is better spent in the actual sim. GPS in the T-34 is a POS, know the basics and you should be alright, concentrate on RADIO instruments.

FLYTPAY is right - if you really want to improve in the T-34/T-6, spend your time flying the actual sims vice a computer game. while the RIOT trainer was somewhat helpful to me when starting out in BIs/RIs, the time i spent learning in the sims was a major part of my progression in primary. IMHO, the sims (while not the same as real flying) translate a lot more to the aircraft than do video games.