• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New planes not as sexy?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
WTF? We left the pattern 2-3 times in 9 months. Sounds like an improvement. Flying with Jeff again?

Nope, no more flights, just a sim with Jeff where I learned a lot. Some guys flew with him to Florala today. I've done 2 river runs and flown down to St Augustine for a low approach, so I guess things are better.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'd love to fly something that you can keep the cockpit doors open while you fly.
Perhaps not a "door" ... but as soon as we got away from the field ... every Teenie-Weenie solo (B model) was flown like this:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is why I miss my HUEY, and wanted to go to Fallon SAR. Damn EFM.

(we took the doors off totally)

I may have been a fighter pilot, but I unfortunately never had much opportunity to really ply my Air-to-Air trade . . . as much I desired.
Thus, I always harbored a secret desire to crazily hang out of the open door of a jinking and engaged, HAL-3 Huey, with a mini-gun in my hands, and a-blaze'n away . . . 6,000 7.62 rounds-per-minute at the enemy. . . yeah!
But given those little known and 'under-respected' HAL-3 guys life expectancy, it is just as well I didn't trade them jobs. But they must be remembered.

I was most fortunate to know two (not all made it) Navy, in-country, HAL-3 pilots after the war. Other than Cunningham, they both on average, had more and higher (and really, really deserved) decorations than any Navy Pilots in Vietnam that I ever knew. For the Navy, theirs was a unique, unusual, and dangerous mission that has never been adequately acknowledged.

But their doors were wide open, and I would have loved the ride!

Check 'em out:
http://www.seawolf.org/
http://www.airwarvietnam.com/hal3.htm

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dunno...but some old ones were:
f4silkao9.jpg

One of my absolute favorite A/C... Unlike most of my "generation", it was the F-4 that got me interested in flying...

I know a HAL pilot... one of the greatest guys I know... HAL and CSAR guys have some of the best stories...

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I'd have to put my vote for the SU-27 as the best looking modern airplane. It combines some of the most elegant features our airplanes. It has the widely spaced engines and twin vertical fins like the F-14, the blended wing-fuselage interface like the F-16, and the large LEX's like the hornet. I think its best feature is the arched appearance of the forward fuselage--almost like a serpent ready to strike. The only thing I don't like about it are the landing gear. The trailing link style on the F-18 are the best looking gear IMO.
su-27-34p04.jpg

Huggy Bear

pilot
Man! I love the hornet - been married to her for almost seven years - but she never was a looker. She's reliable and faithful - if too gangly. For pure looks I'd take a viper a flanker or fulcrum. They look dirty and fun. But how does that old song go "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, take an ugly girl and make her your wife."

JIMMY

I'd have to put my vote for the SU-27 as the best looking modern airplane. It combines some of the most elegant features our airplanes. It has the widely spaced engines and twin vertical fins like the F-14, the blended wing-fuselage interface like the F-16, and the large LEX's like the hornet. I think its best feature is the arched appearance of the forward fuselage--almost like a serpent ready to strike. The only thing I don't like about it are the landing gear. The trailing link style on the F-18 are the best looking gear IMO.

the 16 has LEX too :)

edit: srry, im just bored.

Bernie Kosar

I've always liked the looks of the SU-27... the SU-47 is also pretty (or maybe it just looks cool because of the swept-forward wings)

http://www.flymig.com/wallpaper/1024x768/Su-47.jpg

http://www.ural.ru/gallery/news/techno/air_mil/su-47.jpg

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
But how does that old song go "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, take an ugly girl and make her your wife."

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife.
So from my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you!​

Jimmy Soul, "If You Wanna Be Happy," I believe. :D