• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Uniforms Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have been on an Aircraft Carrier, most of the personnel on the flight deck wear the Cammie trousers with the flight deck jersey. It only makes sense to implement a better utility uniform that can stand the test of time and this is what most of us that took the survey stated. (Yes I participated) I'm not too impressed over the colors though. I prefer the 8 point cover over the Army looking cover.
ea6bflyr

kaiangel

Everyone keeps saying that khaki is going away. It says that it is replacing working khaki, not service khaki. Also, aboard ship E-7 and above is distinguished in coveralls by gold lettering and a khaki belt. I really don't see much of a difference here. I spent 7 years enlisted and went through the change from old dungarees to utilities. So I can totally see why most enlisted people would be thrilled with this uniform. One of the greatest things about getting commissioned was the better uniforms. Enlisted people need a working uniform that actually makes them feel like they are in the military. If this uniform does that, then it will be a welcome change.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Grandmaster235 said:
OK, quiz for all the uniform geeks out there. The "Captain" model on the right in this picture (http://news.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/041018-N-0000X-001.jpg) is out of uniform. An official GM235 no-prize goes to the first poster who can identify why.

The first thing that jumped out at me is that he's got a Seabee pin without a CEC collar device in place of his left eagle collar device. However, he coulda gotten that pin as a JO then lat transferred to a community w/o a warfare device, so yeah...I can't pick anything else out.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
kaiangel said:
Everyone keeps saying that khaki is going away. It says that it is replacing working khaki, not service khaki.

This is true. Most of the people here (including me) aren't saying that service khaki is "going away" or being replaced. Rather, there is legitimate speculation that sometime down the road, the NWU may be prescribed as the uniform of the day not just on ships, but also at shore/staff commands, squadrons, etc. Service khaki would still exist as a uniform, but would be prescribed less frequently and at fewer activities.

This speculation (and most posters here have appropriately framed such comments as speculation) is based primarily on the fact that the NWU is being designed as a uniform that can be worn off base, like the army's and air force's fatigues. This is a fact, not speculation. Liberty wear is a major "sea change" in the Navy's working uniform concept, so it is reasonable to hypothesize that we might be seeing a shift toward that army or air force uniform concept where BDUs are the predominant uniform prescribed at most commands (even offices and other non-deployable units). Even though it's all conjecture at this point, I (and apparently others here) think it's an interesting conversation. But then, I'm a uniform geek.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Thisguy said:
The first thing that jumped out at me is that he's got a Seabee pin without a CEC collar device in place of his left eagle collar device. However, he coulda gotten that pin as a JO then lat transferred to a community w/o a warfare device, so yeah...I can't pick anything else out.

WINNER!

Extremely unlikely that he would have transferred to a community with no pin.

Well done.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Grandmaster235 said:
WINNER!

Extremely unlikely that he would have transferred to a community with no pin.

Well done.

What's the unofficial prize? (I'll admit the only reason I got that was because I'm trying to lat xfer to the CEC...) :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I forgot to think outside the URL box....DANG. (For what it's worth: I did come up with the answer about 2 minutes after THISGUY posted the answer {DANG IT AGAIN!!})
ea6bflyr

Good question GM235!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
It is about time the junior enlisted guys got new uniforms! I can remember being very proud of being in the Navy when I joined up (10 years ago with the old style dungarees), but being completely embarrassed to have to wander around in my bellbottomed prison garb. I never wore the new utilities, but have heard complaints about them as well. As much as I like the uniform setup I now have, the uniforms need to change for the sake of those who don't get to wear khakis.

As far as the new uniforms go ...

I like the round hats, wonder what a performance t-shirt is (and how much it will cost), don't shine my boots often anyway, and can't make up my mind which style I like (woodland or digital).

They are all better looking than the new Air Force uniforms (look like a hawaiian shirt if you ask me).

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Grandmaster235 said:
OK, quiz for all the uniform geeks out there. The "Captain" model on the right in this picture (http://news.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/041018-N-0000X-001.jpg) is out of uniform. An official GM235 no-prize goes to the first poster who can identify why.
Thisguy said:
What's the unofficial prize? (I'll admit the only reason I got that was because I'm trying to lat xfer to the CEC...) :)
It's a no-prize.

Therefore, no prize.

It is, however, official.

Good luck on the transfer!

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Just to clear up the "performance" shirt issue....unless I'm mistaken it is the same type of undershirts you wear for football. It's kind of stretchy and wicks away moisture. They are actually pretty comfortable to wear. Many poice officers wear them under their BP vests.

zuggerat

why are all the new uniforms going blue and not vegetation colors (minus the MC)? Is every service planning on drowning their members? And the no shine boots look like they're right off the shelf at Kmart

antucker63

Contributor
Why do people think that this uniform is going to cause people to drown or not be found if they fall overboard? Do you know what color our underway coveralls are now? And if you fall overboard, unless you fall during an evolution, your chances a pretty slim anyway. Those coveralls are harder to spot in the ocean than these would be hands down. Being enlisted, I think that these uniforms are a good idea, utilities suck and were a bad idea from the start. They are uncomfortable, expensive, and fall apart to easy. I dont love these new uniforms, but they are way better than what I have now.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems like the enlisted (or prior) guys like the idea of new uniforms. I have no fleet experience myself so I can't really say whether the new ones would be better or not, but based on others' comments anything else would be an improvement. But seriously, can we (all forces, not just Navy) please not have uniforms that DON'T look like the GI Joe figures on the toy aisle of Wal-Mart??? The only new stuff I like is the digital cammies the USMC designed. IMO the rest is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.