• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Uniforms Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
You young pups have likely never seen aviation greens. Maybe someone will post a picture of it for you.

Some Japanese dude has a site w/ pictures of Aviation Greens, Service Khaki, and other uniforms here. The page apparently didn't translate well, but the pictures are there.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
The Aviation Working Green uniform pictured on that Japanese site is pretty old -- basically a museum piece. The modern version has metal wings (not sew-on) and looks very sharp. There are (or at least were) good pics of it in the NEX uniform catalog.

The service dress khakis were pretty cool too. They are well-represented in "Flight of the Intruder." With the trend going toward less uniforms in the sea bag, all the cool stuff is going away....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Embroidered wings are, to my knowledge, still optional on certain working uniforms, including Aviation Greens. They still sell them at Abbott's, at any rate. And yes, all the historical uniforms are going away. Hopefully we'll at least keep our leather jackets for the time being.

Anyway, back on topic, does anyone have an opinion on the various "options" for the NWU?

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
nittany03 said:
Embroidered wings are, to my knowledge, still optional on certain working uniforms, including Aviation Greens. They still sell them at Abbott's, at any rate.

I'm sure you're right. But I've never seen them worn that way. I've only seen the metal pin-on wings like you wear on other uniforms. Of course, I've only seen less than 10 people ever wear that uniform, in my 8.5 years of active duty.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the NWUs go I prefer the woodland pattern as opposed to digital camo. Other than that I figure that more pockets = better and gray vs blue dominant color doesn't reallly make all that much of a difference.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
nittany03 said:
Anyway, back on topic, does anyone have an opinion on the various "options" for the NWU?

"Woodland" pattern is better than pixelated
Pointed collar is better than rounded
Cargo pocket is better than no cargo pocket
Tactical pocket is better than no tactical pocket
Blouse out is better than tucked in
Round cap is better than 8-point
Cotton T-shirt better than "performance" (whatever that is)
No-shine boot is better than shiny (the old aircraft maintenance officer in me talking)

Does anyone think that this new uniform (if it's implemented) will eventually be prescribed as the uniform of the day at shore/staff facilities the way BDUs are in other branches (instead of service khaki)? Consider the fact that it sounds like the NWU is being designed to be worn off-base (unlike utes and the other "replaced" uniforms).

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Grandmaster235 said:
The Aviation Working Green uniform pictured on that Japanese site is pretty old -- basically a museum piece. The modern version has metal wings (not sew-on) and looks very sharp. There are (or at least were) good pics of it in the NEX uniform catalog.

The service dress khakis were pretty cool too. They are well-represented in "Flight of the Intruder." With the trend going toward less uniforms in the sea bag, all the cool stuff is going away....

I was gonna say...I have a pic of my grandfather from Korea wearing that uni with the embroidered wings.

BTW..though I think the new unis are lame, I do like the 8 point cover more then that dumb Army type.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As Wink said, I would love to see the Dress Khakis again. They look so sharp.

I was told by a Marine Major, with extensive German WWII knowledge, that the current MARPAT is based off the WWII Wermacht pattern. Anyone hear that before?

d_bossart

Hmm, so now the airforce will be wearing a pointed cover like Marines and everyone will have digital cammies? :banghead_. I guess it was inevitable. The Air Force looks like some kind of blue Vietnam Special Forces and the Army uniform (laugh) looks like something out of Star Ship Troopers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
d_bossart said:
Hmm, so now the airforce will be wearing a pointed cover like Marines and everyone will have digital cammies? :banghead_. I guess it was inevitable. The Air Force looks like some kind of blue Vietnam Special Forces and the Army uniform (laugh) looks like something out of Star Ship Troopers.

Army looks like they want to be a Special SS... and by special, I don't mean elite.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
AWG's are awesome. We had a LT at school who wore them.. God I hope they never completely go away.

Oh yeah, and this new uniform SUX!!!!!..

But things are still not as gay as the army... they are in the process of moving away from flight suits and toward aviation BDU's... BDU's with our little arm pocket/pen holder. Their flight students do not even get flight suits issued anymore... LAME

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Fly Navy said:
As Wink said, I would love to see the Dress Khakis again. They look so sharp.

I was told by a Marine Major, with extensive German WWII knowledge, that the current MARPAT is based off the WWII Wermacht pattern. Anyone hear that before?

I always thought that MARPAT looks more like the Canadian CADPAT. Just me though. :icon_smil

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
rare21 said:
Now sailors can pretty much "disappear" while doing nothing in front of a bulkhead.

Us enlisted folk are already more than capable of that :D

But on the more serious side.

I think the uniform change acknowledges a serious problem seen in the enlisted ranks for some time. We are the only service that will not let you wear your working uniform off base. The Army, Air Force and Marines do not worry if they need to stop at a corner store or gas station or anywhere else on the way home. To some this may not seem like a big deal. But to many of the enlisted folk it's like we're second class sailors that should be seen working and nothing else. I have been in the Navy for 8 years and have hated the utilities ever since we got them. The dungarees before them were much better. At least then we had an identity, and it wasn't Jiffy Lube.

The new uniforms are somthing that will make us stand out as a member of the military. If they allow us to stop at the store at home they will be saying that we're not just part of the working class and they're not ashamed to be associated with us. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Oh, I like the digitals better too.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Notwithstanding the blue coveralls that have gotten pretty common as a shipboard working uniform for all ranks, the NWUs will erode the Navy tradition of leadership in khaki. The Navy is unique in that our leadership (E-7 and above) wear a completly different uniform from the troops. No other service so identifies their leaders. In the Navy our sailors can always look for the khaki and there is a person to take charge. A very large part of the CPO tradition is putting on the khaki uniform of a Navy leader. While the liberty khaki will remain for now (it will disappear if the NWU becomes a liberty uniform as suggested above), the presence of khaki uniforms on ship in the most demanding and dangerous environments will not be seen.

I'm for the eight point cover, pointed collar, blouse out, cargo pockets. But I'm really for not spending the money and using the current woodland BDUs if we must change.

Physicx

Banned
The Air Force is starting to listen.A General said that they might change due to all of the negatives about the way they look.Hopefully the navy does a pole like the AF to get everyones opnions.

Status
Not open for further replies.