• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Uniforms Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

pilot
Grandmaster235 said:
WINNER!

Extremely unlikely that he would have transferred to a community with no pin.

Well done.

Counselor,

"extremely unlikely". . sounds a lot like reasonable doubt. I could also "guess" that he is not under arms and is covered indoors and that his skivvy drawers aren't labeled. I liked ThisGuy's enlisted explanation. .

Hence, therefore, consequently, without futher ado.. . . .NOT GUILTY.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Grandmaster235 said:
Thanks, ea6bflyr, for tracking down the best pic of the Aviation Working Green Uniform. It looks even better with the garrison cover though.

OK, quiz for all the uniform geeks out there. The "Captain" model on the right in this picture (http://news.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/041018-N-0000X-001.jpg) is out of uniform. An official GM235 no-prize goes to the first poster who can identify why.

Heh, I was looking at the fact that his laces weren't uniform. Don't know how many times I saw people get hit for that one in boot camp. But that was 8 years ago don't know if they still do that....

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
turtle_sc said:
Just to clear up the "performance" shirt issue....unless I'm mistaken it is the same type of undershirts you wear for football. It's kind of stretchy and wicks away moisture. They are actually pretty comfortable to wear. Many poice officers wear them under their BP vests.

This is just my thoughts... could be completely wrong...

But I doubt the shirt is like Under-Armor, navy is so big on not wearing CNT's, coraframs (sp?) and the like, due to the melting action under extreme heat. I would be willing to bet it is something that will not melt during a fire...

again just my thought... If I am wrong, I hope they change that.

Pags

N/A
pilot
bch said:
This is just my thoughts... could be completely wrong...

But I doubt the shirt is like Under-Armor, navy is so big on not wearing CNT's, coraframs (sp?) and the like, due to the melting action under extreme heat. I would be willing to bet it is something that will not melt during a fire...

again just my thought... If I am wrong, I hope they change that.

maybe if you were doing gate guard, they'd let you wear the poly-pro top...but if you were in an area that you might catch on fire (shipboard, line), you'd have to wear cotton.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This just in. I was corresponding with another salty old dude, and he put me in touch with one of the original 18 voting members of Task Force Uniform. This all started in March of 2003. He and a Seabee MCPO suggested staying with the current desert and woodland cammies with very minor changes, like the Navy emblem on the pocket. Their goal was to give the sailors a warrior look, more durability and fewer uniforms in the seabag at little cost. It took them a week, but by the time they voted the uniform suggested was in fact the current non digital cammies with minor mods. This guy is shocked at the NWU appearance since it is not what they suggested. He doesn't have any idea where the design came from. That my boys, is your Navy in action.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Pags said:
maybe if you were doing gate guard, they'd let you wear the poly-pro top...but if you were in an area that you might catch on fire (shipboard, line), you'd have to wear cotton.

Maybe we should all just wear loin clothes... :D

badger

Delurking to solicit some opinions....

Item 1: Everyone likes the idea of utilities for the durability, reduced care, and comfort, but how the camouflage pattern conforms to naval tradition is debatable. Would the reservations about the NWU go away if TFU proposed a plain blue/gray/khaki utility style uniform?

Item 2: The process through which TFU solicited inputs on these uniforms was by survey. 70% of the Navy is E-5 and below, and 60% of respondents said they wanted camouflage. Out of over 180 khakis assigned to this ship, I can count on one hand the number who like the idea of camouflage. Granted, giving the bluejackets some say in the uniforms is desirable, but should we let the first and second term Sailors make the call on which traditions stay and which go? If so, what happens in five or ten years when the next crop of Sailors say they want something else?

From the perspective of the surface force this move to camouflage is pure "me too" from a MCPON who's looking to build a legacy. You'll never get all Sailors in one working uniform, because we work in too many places. Whether it's in the field with the Seabees or NSW, on a flightline in Iceland or in a machinery room on a ship, Sailors will wear different uniforms at work based on what they do. One of you guys said it yourself: you'll just wear your flight suits and service khakis if you don't like the final product of TFU. I've heard of whole wardrooms and chiefs' messes on ships planning to go to the fire-retardant coveralls if these cammies get approved, too. So much for one Navy-wide working uniform.

Standing by for counter-battery fire....

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
badger said:
Delurking to solicit some opinions....

Item 1: Everyone likes the idea of utilities for the durability, reduced care, and comfort, but how the camouflage pattern conforms to naval tradition is debatable. Would the reservations about the NWU go away if TFU proposed a plain blue/gray/khaki utility style uniform?

I didn't love the colors when I first saw them, but the idea behind them (dropping paint on them) seems sound I guess. Maybe plain colors would look better, but would they be as functional?

Item 2: The process through which TFU solicited inputs on these uniforms was by survey. 70% of the Navy is E-5 and below, and 60% of respondents said they wanted camouflage. Out of over 180 khakis assigned to this ship, I can count on one hand the number who like the idea of camouflage. Granted, giving the bluejackets some say in the uniforms is desirable, but should we let the first and second term Sailors make the call on which traditions stay and which go? If so, what happens in five or ten years when the next crop of Sailors say they want something else?

Which traditions are those? Dungarees? Already gone (the traditional style anyway). Coveralls? Not exactly a 'tradition.' Other uniforms? Are they going away (I can't remember)?

Look, I can remember wearing the old dugarees, and while I was always proud to be in the Navy, that uniform was embarrassing. A military uniform shouldn't be embarrassing, should it? Sure the khakis don't like it, they have nice uniforms to wear. Of course the 60% said they wanted new uniforms, anything is better than what they've got. As a chief would I be thrilled about swapping my khakis for the new utilities? No way! Would it look right for E-6 and below to wear the planned utilities and the E-7 and above to wear khakis? I doubt it. Perhaps if the E-6 and below wore a solid color utility the khakis could keep their current uniform without it looking silly? I'm not sure if it would work, or if it defeats the purpose of the whole switch, but it's one idea.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, how many from the wardroom are on their third tour or more? There were plenty of 20 year first classes on my boat who wouldn't have liked to be lumped in with the "giving the bluejackets some say in the uniforms is desirable, but should we let the first and second term Sailors make the call on which traditions stay and which go" comment.

Keep in mind that although I really, really hated that uniform, I never heard anyone say they were getting out of the Navy because of it. If things stay the way they are people will just keep on living.

From the perspective of the surface force this move to camouflage is pure "me too" from a MCPON who's looking to build a legacy. You'll never get all Sailors in one working uniform, because we work in too many places. Whether it's in the field with the Seabees or NSW, on a flightline in Iceland or in a machinery room on a ship, Sailors will wear different uniforms at work based on what they do. One of you guys said it yourself: you'll just wear your flight suits and service khakis if you don't like the final product of TFU. I've heard of whole wardrooms and chiefs' messes on ships planning to go to the fire-retardant coveralls if these cammies get approved, too. So much for one Navy-wide working uniform.

Standing by for counter-battery fire....

When it all comes down to it, the lower enlisted guys would like a newer, better uniform. The khakis would like to keep theirs. Why can't the uniform team work with that?

badger

VarmintShooter said:
I didn't love the colors when I first saw them, but the idea behind them (dropping paint on them) seems sound I guess. Maybe plain colors would look better, but would they be as functional?

Sailors should get organizational clothing or disposable coveralls while painting, period. The rest of the time they should be encouraged to keep their uniforms clean, not to wear something that will hide the dirt.

VarmintShooter said:
Which traditions are those? Dungarees? Already gone (the traditional style anyway). Coveralls? Not exactly a 'tradition.' Other uniforms? Are they going away (I can't remember)?

Coveralls are going away, and this cycle of changing every five years is exactly what I want to avoid. Whatever Big Navy comes up with should be something that Sailors in the force today can expect to still have in their seabags when they retire.

VarmintShooter said:
Look, I can remember wearing the old dugarees, and while I was always proud to be in the Navy, that uniform was embarrassing. A military uniform shouldn't be embarrassing, should it? Sure the khakis don't like it, they have nice uniforms to wear. Of course the 60% said they wanted new uniforms, anything is better than what they've got. As a chief would I be thrilled about swapping my khakis for the new utilities? No way! Would it look right for E-6 and below to wear the planned utilities and the E-7 and above to wear khakis? I doubt it. Perhaps if the E-6 and below wore a solid color utility the khakis could keep their current uniform without it looking silly? I'm not sure if it would work, or if it defeats the purpose of the whole switch, but it's one idea.

I don't like dungarees/utilities and I'm not wedded to the "wash khakis", either. From the Sailors I've talked to, 99% of the problem is with the Palestinian Police pattern camouflage, not the style of uniform. If TFU offered a utility-style uniform in blue, with officers and chiefs having the option to wear a khaki version, most of the grumbling would be silenced.

VarmintShooter said:
Oh, and just out of curiosity, how many from the wardroom are on their third tour or more? There were plenty of 20 year first classes on my boat who wouldn't have liked to be lumped in with the "giving the bluejackets some say in the uniforms is desirable, but should we let the first and second term Sailors make the call on which traditions stay and which go" comment.

I'm on a big-deck, so half of the wardroom is past their second tour, and the vast majority of PO1s should be past their second enlistment. I didn't intend to lump them in with the 1st & 2nd termers.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
I think we mostly agree on everything.

badger said:
Sailors should get organizational clothing or disposable coveralls while painting, period. The rest of the time they should be encouraged to keep their uniforms clean, not to wear something that will hide the dirt.

It's not just painting. If we weren't painting we were doing other dirty work, meaning that we'd be in either organizational clothing or disposable coveralls all the time. Coveralls were a great compromise (except when we weren't allowed on the mess decks with them on), so a dark blue material might work for a new uniform. I can't count how many ruined shirts I had from loading missiles, cleaning in and around the gear, or any number of other dirty jobs that we were tasked daily to do. Not complaining, just pointing out that junior guys do dirty work a lot of the time, meaning they either wear a uniform that will handle it, or they spend time changing clothes several times a day to avoid ruining their uniforms.

Coveralls are going away, and this cycle of changing every five years is exactly what I want to avoid. Whatever Big Navy comes up with should be something that Sailors in the force today can expect to still have in their seabags when they retire.

Agree.

I don't like dungarees/utilities and I'm not wedded to the "wash khakis", either. From the Sailors I've talked to, 99% of the problem is with the Palestinian Police pattern camouflage, not the style of uniform. If TFU offered a utility-style uniform in blue, with officers and chiefs having the option to wear a khaki version, most of the grumbling would be silenced.

Best plan I've heard.

I'm on a big-deck, so half of the wardroom is past their second tour, and the vast majority of PO1s should be past their second enlistment. I didn't intend to lump them in with the 1st & 2nd termers.

Point was that a lot of guys in blue are past their second enlistment. Just didn't want to see their veiws downplayed.

Biggest thing is to not change the uniforms unless we can find something that will be around for a lot of years. Easier said than done though. :thumbdn_1

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
All I can say is the Marines upgraded their cammies now everyone wants to be cool like us. Why can't everyone just accept the Marines will always look the best, just like they have for 229 friggin years. Oh, by the way, the digital cammies kick ass in my opinion. No pressing, no shining boots. Why do you need to shine the boots that your just gonna kick someone's head in with anyway? -HAPPY B-DAY USMC! (I know it's a few days late)

TransAmatt

I was recently up at Wright-Patterson AFB and saw a few people wearing the new BDU's. I thought the fit was much better that the current woodland ones. With the new AF uniform you have the OPTION to tuck in your blouse. Half of the people were wearing desert boots since the air force was short on the grey ones that go with the new uniform, which I thought were ugly anyway. A Lt. I talked to said the "performance" undershirts were like underarmor and comfortable. Last name goes on one side and "US Air Force" on the other.

I think the Marine Corps has it right. Go with one pattern and make different colors to match your enviroment. No one color scheme will ever work in all enviroments. I think that the pattern and color of the army uniform is probably effective but that is about all they got right.

LIFTER

yep

this makes me glad to be a devil dog.

nothing but simple, classy, dignified uniforms across the board.

not to mention the best looking (without a doubt)

Status
Not open for further replies.