• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Intel O-1: Carrier "ships company" VS. "squadron"

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Just go into the job with your eyes open - those who seem to get most disillusioned are the poli-sci types who think that squadron life will be a bunch of guys sitting around debating geopolitics, or discussing tactics.
Im a poli-sci major looking for an Intel slot and I hate those people who eat sleep and breathe CNN (or whatever news network). I had to deal with those types in my Forensics matches and they are real Pretentious A-wholes.
They are shocked when "most recent bowel movements" (sometimes with accompanying photos...) are a hot topic, or seem surprised that a bunch of grown men still think farts are funny. And maybe that should be the biggest filter for new squadron spies: If you don't think farts are funny, you're headed into a tough assignment....
I think Intel would be right for me!

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Ridicule of the squadron? It's more like ridicule of the entire U.S. Navy. Even JAG's make fun of Intel weenies. Now why on Earth would a Power Point ranger need to go to SERE?

The ridicule of the squadron is not inevitable - only highly probable. If you can demonstrate that you are a) not a buffoon, b) are thick-skinned, c) have something substantive to contribute to the mission and the ready room, and d) are loose with your wallet in bars, then you too can be "one of the guys". Unfortuantely, it's tough to check all those blocks as a non-salty O-1.

As far as JAG ridicule goes, that's like kids in the "in school" special education program picking on the short school bus kids.

As far as SERE for spies, it's useful as a confidence builder, leadership test, and weight loss program. :icon_tong

oztin79

I appreciate most of the replies to my added subject in this thread. As far as SERE goes, I would've gone to Marine OCS if the Corps guaranteed intel slots. I'm more interested in ground combat intel than living on a ship. The ground's where I'm trying to go, wearing Navy butter bars.

So, I ask anyone who’s willing to help instead of just cracking jokes about fat-assed intel JOs (I haven't been to NIOBC yet, so sorry if I'm not really grasping the quips)... (1) How do I get attached to a SpecWar or Marine unit as a 1630 officer, and (2) when's the absolute earliest I can start navigating toward this goal? Thanks in advance.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I appreciate most of the replies to my added subject in this thread.
My feelings are hurt.

oztin79 said:
As far as SERE goes, I would've gone to Marine OCS if the Corps guaranteed intel slots.
I fail to see the correlation b/t SERE and the Marine Corps

oztin79]I'm more interested in ground combat intel than living on a ship. The ground's where I'm trying to go, wearing Navy butter bars.
Not sure if your recruiter forgot to mention to you, but the Navy has a long tradition of sailing the ocean blue wonder. Wouldn't the Army have been a more appropriate service if you're really interested in ground combat intel?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think it's time to be a little realistic as to what you should expect during your Navy Intel career.

Eyeball

The intel officer community manager told me that 75% of newbie intel O's go to a squadron while the other 25% go to a carrier as ships company.

There's also the possibility for ship's company on a big deck amphib. If you have to go ship's company, that's the way to go. I never saw our intel bubbas do much of anything, and when they DID give briefings, they got very little grief, if any at all.

CDumas821

I appreciate most of the replies to my added subject in this thread. As far as SERE goes, I would've gone to Marine OCS if the Corps guaranteed intel slots. I'm more interested in ground combat intel than living on a ship. The ground's where I'm trying to go, wearing Navy butter bars.

So, I ask anyone who’s willing to help instead of just cracking jokes about fat-assed intel JOs (I haven't been to NIOBC yet, so sorry if I'm not really grasping the quips)... (1) How do I get attached to a SpecWar or Marine unit as a 1630 officer, and (2) when's the absolute earliest I can start navigating toward this goal? Thanks in advance.

As a 2nd tour 1630 looking into many of the same questions, here are my answers:

Question 1: Attachment to SPECWAR/USMC
As a first tour JO (non-LDO), you will likely not be assigned to a SEAL/SPECWAR billet. As a reference, check out www.npc.navy.mil, get a login if you don't already have one and review the intelligence section of the site. If you have problems with this course of action, here is the long and short of it: you must be at least a second tour O-3, within 18 months of your PRD you must make you intentions of SPECWAR known to the 1639 JO detailer, have a letter of reccommendation from both your department head and CO, have scored better than Excellent Low on the past two PFAs (with a letter from your CFL certifying said results), and finally interview with a former/current SPECWAR N2 assigned to you by the detailer.
As far as being attached to a USMC unit, the closest you will likely get is serving as ship's company on an LHA/LHD. There are some IA billets that exist out there and I'm sure that if you're willing to volunteer, someone will take you up on the offer!

Questions 2: Timeline
For IA billets, let your department head know of your interest today, if you'd like.
For USMC ESG billets: Ask the detailer
For SPECWAR: Wait until your second tour to begin the above mentioned process.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a 2nd tour 1630 looking into many of the same questions, here are my answers:

Question 1: Attachment to SPECWAR/USMC
As a first tour JO (non-LDO), you will likely not be assigned to a SEAL/SPECWAR billet. As a reference, check out www.npc.navy.mil, get a login if you don't already have one and review the intelligence section of the site. If you have problems with this course of action, here is the long and short of it: you must be at least a second tour O-3, within 18 months of your PRD you must make you intentions of SPECWAR known to the 1639 JO detailer, have a letter of reccommendation from both your department head and CO, have scored better than Excellent Low on the past two PFAs (with a letter from your CFL certifying said results), and finally interview with a former/current SPECWAR N2 assigned to you by the detailer.
As far as being attached to a USMC unit, the closest you will likely get is serving as ship's company on an LHA/LHD. There are some IA billets that exist out there and I'm sure that if you're willing to volunteer, someone will take you up on the offer!

Questions 2: Timeline
For IA billets, let your department head know of your interest today, if you'd like.
For USMC ESG billets: Ask the detailer
For SPECWAR: Wait until your second tour to begin the above mentioned process.
Good post.

oztin79

Dam Neck's kept me busy, so I havne't checked this thread in a few months. Thanks, CDum, for your constructive post. I was recently attached to a VFA.

I don't know how well-known this is, but there are in fact NSW/NECC billets open for 1630 Ensigns like myself as N2 assistants. Makes sense to me. While a lot of "salty" sailors in here feel like they have to remind me that I joined the Navy and therefore shouldn't expect ground combat environments, I encourage them to check out the mission transformation Navy's quickly undergoing (see "SEA POWER 21"). In many ways, this is a different Navy than the one they joined, and seems to be becoming more like the one I think I joined. Navy focus on specwar will only expand since al Qaeda hasn't yet acquired a battleship fleet (at the time I'm writing this, anyway). Navy's apparently starting to breed NSW 1630s from a young rank in order to specialize them almost exclusively in specwar. My first tour narowly misses this movement. Either way, I'll love what I do! Ooooh rah!

SEA DOG FROM THE DEEP,
BLOOD THIRSTY WAR MACHINE,
READY TO FIGHT. READY TO KILL.
READY TO DIE, BUT NEVER WILL.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Ridicule of the squadron? It's more like ridicule of the entire U.S. Navy. Even JAG's make fun of Intel weenies. Now why on Earth would a Power Point ranger need to go to SERE?

Besides I liked the JAG's they kept me out of doing all of the shit work that the Wing makes all the Fallen Ensigns do..... I dont think Id get a squadron tour anyway. The joy of Reserve Intel and then go work on the Fleet Staff!! I know I cant wait to get my 1635 and then go back over to work with NATO. :icon_mi_1

ViewAskew

New guy here.

Anyways i read through this whole post, there is some exelent info here. I am an IS1(AW) 10years of Navy Intel Under my belt. This is what i have learned and taught my newer 1630s

Basic rules for 01-02 1630
1. you aren't as smart as you think you are..not yet, listen to you Senior enlisted ISs they will help you, it's their job

2. the N2 is always right, once more the N2 is always right especially in front of the skipper, do not question him or her

Billets

Unfortunately for new 1630s some of you go to a squadron, this is no place for a rookie, A ship is a good thing...you may hate it because the SWOs don't like you much but in the long run it will make you a damn fine 1630. When i was Fresh out of Dam Neck i went to 5th fleet, best thing i could have ever done. But still i missed out on learning what i needed to about systems at sea.

i loved doing OPINTEL in navcent it was by far the best job i have ever had, I went to STRATCOM and did the joint thing, then i went to Vp squadron. I had a great time, but the Brown Shoe Navy is alittle different than the black shoe navy. The Crews only listened to me because i proved myself the second i walked in the door. My 1st divo there did the same and she kicked ass there. the 2 that followed her in my tenure did not and they got eaten alive. One was the typical geek that knew everything, he found out pretty quick how wrong he was. I tried to save him but he wouldn't listen. the last one tried to be the alpha male in the hanger...he left with P as a senior LT.

As for SERE, i went loved it, some intel guys do get to fly like i did. Once again i always went that extra 2 miles and they helped me help them so to speak. Break out and the Navy is all yours

i work at SOCOM now, also no place for rookie, but for your 2nd tour it would be a good idea!!

Mike IS1(AW)