• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Intel O-1: Carrier "ships company" VS. "squadron"

Logico

Brett327 said:
That's exactly what a breakout Intel guy does. Just keep that mindset once you're in the fleet and you'll go far. Within the given limitations inherent in your position, you should always be probing and striving to make your product as good and as useful as possible to the end user.

Brett

Makes sense to me. By the way, what is a "breakout intel guy"? Do you just mean "breaking the mold" in a positive sense?

Thanks for your posts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Logico said:
Makes sense to me. By the way, what is a "breakout intel guy"? Do you just mean "breaking the mold" in a positive sense?

Thanks for your posts.
Breakout like breaking out of the pack, distinguishing yourself, being better than average, a cut above. ;) In a word - positive.

Brett

bbennett73

JackFrost said:
What needs to occur in order for a new Intel O to make the SEAL teams?

SpecOps recently decided to start taking first tour intel guys onboard the SEAL teams. Whether or not you get one of those spots depends on timing--when you class up and graduate from NMITC and when one of the teams is going to be losing their 1630. Also, if there are first tour 1630's in the fleet who agree to take back-to-back operational assignments and really want a SEAL team, they will have priority and will likely have negotiated the billet before new 1630's even get their commission. Some guys have agreed to take a hard fill billet for a year in exchange for a spot on one of the teams; some took all of the tactical and ground-based training they could while on their first tours to make themselves more marketable to the teams, and still others just lucked out and left NMITC for one of the teams.

So, less "divine intervention" required than in the past, but it's still not a common first tour. If you really want it, let the staff at NMITC know, as they are the ones who will be working with the detailer on behalf of you and your classmates.

Probably should've started another thread--sorry for the threadjack.

-BB

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
bbennett73 said:
SpecOps recently decided to start taking first tour intel guys onboard the SEAL teams.

Just a minor clarification: In the Navy SEALs are SpecWar not SpecOps. However, in the rest of the military unconvential warfare types (which actually includes more than SF, PJs, etc.) are SOF.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Just a minor clarification: In the Navy SEALs are SpecWar not SpecOps. However, in the rest of the military unconvential warfare types (which actually includes more than SF, PJs, etc.) are SOF.

True. SEALs = SPECWAR, but they are a subset of SOCOM and overall Special Operations Forces (SOF).

Note: SF = Army Special Forces. This is a close knit world and doors slam if you don't understand the subtle distinctions. And unlike fighter community, they disdain publicity. Nuff said HH-60H?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
True. SEALs = SPECWAR, but they are a subset of SOCOM and overall Special Operations Forces (SOF).
Right, but in the Navy if you say SpecOps, like the original post did, that means EOD types.

heyjoe said:
Note: SF = Army Special Forces. This is a close knit world and doors slam if you don;t understand the subtle distinctions. And unlike fighter community, they disdain publicity. Nuff said HH-60H?
I don't understand what you are saying. I can't include them in a list of SOF communities?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Right, but in the Navy if you say SpecOps, like the original post did, that means EOD types.

I don't understand what you are saying. I can't include them in a list of SOF communities?

Absolutely yes, and SOF and SPECWAR in particular does deploy with their SWCC. Intel, Comm, EOD and sometimes aviators in supporting roles. Not all of SOF are "door kickers". A hard charging Intel type would do well to try to "pledge" to this world.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Absolutely yes, and SOF and SPECWAR in particular does deploy with their SWCC. Intel, Comm, EOD and sometimes aviators in supporting roles. Not all of SOF are "door kickers". A hard charging Intel type would do well to try to "pledge" to this world.

Ohhhhh, I think I see what you are saying now.

bbennett73

HH-60H said:

Right, I should've said SPECWAR.

bbell

While on the subject of SPECWAR support, do any of you know about the possibilities of IWO's providing TCS to the Teams? I know that there is a training course at NAVSPECWARCEN for enlisted CT's for TCS, but how do IWO's factor in? I'm really interested in being as close to the pointy end of the spear as possible and this seems like a great opportunity if possible.

oztin79

New 1630 ensign here. Can't wait for the ridicule of the squadron. That should make a really awesome 2-year first tour. First tour's obviously a means to an end for every new ensign, and for me, I hope it's going to be the ground combat intel route (either with 1185ers or Marines).

When's the earliest I can start shaping this path and how do I do it? Would SWCC and SERE be in the pipeline? Thanks for the help.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
New 1630 ensign here. Can't wait for the ridicule of the squadron. That should make a really awesome 2-year first tour. First tour's obviously a means to an end for every new ensign, and for me, I hope it's going to be the ground combat intel route (either with 1185ers or Marines).

When's the earliest I can start shaping this path and how do I do it? Would SWCC and SERE be in the pipeline? Thanks for the help.

Will they never learn? ;)

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ridicule of the squadron? It's more like ridicule of the entire U.S. Navy. Even JAG's make fun of Intel weenies. Now why on Earth would a Power Point ranger need to go to SERE?