• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Gun for Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok folks, I'm looking at getting a new handgun for my wife. I'm not looking for something she can use for self-defense....yet. I want to find something that she can learn on. She has never shot a weapon in her life and I don't want to scare her away by giving her more than she can handle up front. I'd like to get her something that is fun to shoot and build her confidence with. Additionally, I have a 10 month old daughter that I'd like to raise with firearms being a natural part of her life. When the time is right, I want to put her on the range as well.

Can you guys recommend a good handgun that my wife can use to learn on? For the record, she's left-handed in case that makes a difference.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII. Both fine .22 pistols suited for everyone from beginner to expert and as customizable as you like.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yup, second the Ruger; no recoil, cheap ammo. You might also consider a wheel gun in the same caliber. Ruger makes one with both a .22lr and a .22magnum cylinder for the same gun.

A gun for your wife........ :icon_tong

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII. Both fine .22 pistols suited for everyone from beginner to expert and as customizable as you like.

Agree on both of these. If you wanted to get a walther P22, they are farely cheap and there is tons of fun stuff that is available for them. Going with a .22 pistol will also enforce good technique without having to deal with the shock of recoil. The #1 reason in my experience that people have a hard time being accurate with a handgun is that they are anticipating the recoil.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I'd go with a walther P-22. very conventional .22LR in a standard semi-auto configuration, manual safety, good sights.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ruger Mk I or II, Walther 22 ... both good little weapons to learn on. Never shot a Buckmark. I would pick the Walther .... better ergonomics (not a big deal with .22 LR, but there it is ... ) and the Ruger is a b!tch to takedown and clean for the "occasional" shooter ...

We shot the Ruger in the Navy Rifle/Pistol team in the '80's .... it was a low cost substitute for practice instead of the 1911A1. It was also a b!tch to takedown and reassemble for competent guys .... so what do you think it's gonna' be for a beginner ???

Revolvers are always good ... good quality pistols are better.

Just be careful she doesn't get really good and use it on you, Steve.

ruger5.JPG

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, I was thinking that a .22 of some sort would be good. That's what I first shot when I was younger. Very little recoil, and just downright fun to shoot. I'm thinking I might get a .22 handgun and even a .22 rifle for my wife and daughter to learn on. I don't think my wife would appreciate shooting my .30-06 at this point.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Am I the only one who saw the title of this post and though Steve had an interesting trade in mind?:)

Carno

Insane
I taught my girlfriend to shoot with an H&K USP Compact 9mm, and it was fine for her.

But I guess a .22 probably would be better to learn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.