• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Enlisted Commissioning website by Mustangs for future Mustangs

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

My friend who was recently selected into OCS from the enlisted ranks has hit the ground running with a great website that I want to share with everyone in the AW community. It's a website geared specifically for Mustangs and future Mustangs to receive and share info on STA-21, OCS, LDO, and CWO commissioning programs. It's an information exchange forum created by Mustangs for Mustangs. It's called NavyOCSMustangs.com

The link is http://www.navyocsmustangs.com/

This is a brand new website and it is up and running, and it is need of your questions and answers.

I want to be clear that this is by no means infringing on Airwarriors, which is an outstanding place to find information with many aspects of commissioning programs and information regarding post-commission programs and job fields. NavyOCSMustangs.com is a added resource and a forum for helping other enlisted service members achieve a commissioning who might have questions about program specifics. We are servicing enlisted members that have specific questions regarding the various commissioning programs available specifically to enlisted ranks. It is geared ONLY for the STA-21, LDO, CWO, OCS and OTC Newport Navy enlisted-bound folks that will be, or hope to be, gaining a commissioning into the Naval Officer Corps.

It's a free webpage and we'd really appreciate it if you'd take a second to look it over. Thank you for your time and help with this and have a fine Navy day!

http://www.navyocsmustangs.com/

- MH53EflyGuy
FY08 STA-21 Pilot Select

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Time for the immediate threadjack...I had an argument in OCS with another Prior-E about this...do you need a minimum time in to be a "Mustang"? i.e. I was enlisted for 2.5 years before getting picked up for OCS and was told I need 4 years to be a Mustang. I argued that I had been through Great Lakes, I qualify.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Time for the immediate threadjack...I had an argument in OCS with another Prior-E about this...do you need a minimum time in to be a "Mustang"? i.e. I was enlisted for 2.5 years before getting picked up for OCS and was told I need 4 years to be a Mustang. I argued that I had been through Great Lakes, I qualify.

As far as we are concerned, if you swore in and went to boot camp, you're more than worthy of being able to check out the website!

I understand you cannot be an O-1E pay grade unless you have 4 years of enlisted service. That is something I have not read for myself, but that would be a great question to ask in the website!

http://www.navyocsmustangs.com/

- MH53EflyGuy

user_online.gif
progress.gif

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
This is just my personal opinion of course, but I think if one has earned > or = E-5 prior to commissioning than it's kosher. I personally don't use the phrase because it sounds pretentious and I cringe when I hear stories about midshipmen at the academy referring to themselves as Mustangs. I in no way condone ever referring to one's self as a Mustang for the the reason stated above.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is just my personal opinion of course, but I think if one has earned > or = E-5 prior to commissioning than it's kosher. I personally don't use the phrase because it sounds pretentious and I cringe when I hear stories about midshipmen at the academy referring to themselves as Mustangs. I in no way condone ever referring to one's self as a Mustang for the the reason stated above.

I don't think I've ever referred to myself as such...it was more of a semantics argument (we had too much free time at OCS)

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
I don't think I've ever referred to myself as such...it was more of a semantics argument (we had too much free time at OCS)

I think it's important to SWO's in that community, but I have otherwise only on rare occasions heard someone use this as a reference to a prior enlisted "O". I was around Pilot's my entire time as an enlisted, and I suspect that it wasn't a popular nickname amongst the cool call signs that they all had.

MasterBates

We normally called the "mustangs"

Dirty Ol' Bastard, Old fart, Gramps, and such, if they were already old as shit.. And they didn't have a better callsign like Scuba or Whacker.

FMRAM

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were one of those guys. At some point in my navy career (trying not to point out anyone that could be recognized), I worked for an LT that had some prior enlisted service. This guy was a real dick and was not liked by either the E's, the O's or the Goat Locker. This gentlemen wore one of those Mustang belt buckles and it pretty much summed up his attitude "I'm better than you because I'm an officer and not only that, I'm better than the other officers because I went though the tribulation of being enlisted". I keep this guy's example fresh in my mind so that I don't become like him. He is a great example not to follow.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I could care less what one wants to call themselves, but at least on the Marine side, it is annoying to no end to see someone (FENIAN) who went through Boot Camp one summer, OCS Juniors the next summer, and OCS Seniors the next summer refer to themselves unceasingly as "Mustangs." They have absolutely no knowledge of what the Marine Corps is outside of initial accession training commands...

/rant off

FMRAM

threadjack successful. LOL

The OP used the term "Mustang" 8 times in his post including hyperlinks. Picklesuit didn't threadjack, he simply addressed the fact that there was an elephant in the corner of the room. :D

Shpion1

Contributor
Have 5 1/2 years Enlisted before starting college under ECP. Never called myself a Mustang although others have. Didn't care much for the guys that got picked up for BOOST in Bootcamp and insisted they were mustangs. But their choice.

In 20 years and 10 days of Active Service, best officer I ever worked with/for was an Academy Grad. Worst one was a "Mustang" that couldn't delegate worth a crap and insisted on showing everyone how to do their job.

Among the times when prior service as an E came into play, I'd say the most important one was at the check in interview with my first Skipper, HSL squadron CO who told me: "That Good Conduct Medal and your previous time only means one thing. You don't get to screw up!!!"

Captain Coz

pilot
Contributor
Have 5 1/2 years Enlisted before starting college under ECP. Never called myself a Mustang although others have. Didn't care much for the guys that got picked up for BOOST in Bootcamp and insisted they were mustangs. But their choice.

In 20 years and 10 days of Active Service, best officer I ever worked with/for was an Academy Grad. Worst one was a "Mustang" that couldn't delegate worth a crap and insisted on showing everyone how to do their job.

Among the times when prior service as an E came into play, I'd say the most important one was at the check in interview with my first Skipper, HSL squadron CO who told me: "That Good Conduct Medal and your previous time only means one thing. You don't get to screw up!!!"

I agree with what you said. I was a E-5 with 4 1/2 years and never called my self a Mustang although many called me that. I was extremely proud of my enlisted time and much of any success that I may have had as an officer was due to my enlisted years. Bootcamp does not make officer a Mustang but it is that time in the fleet as both a Junior Enlisted Striker and your leadership roles as a Petty Officer that do. Some of the finest officers I ever served with and under were former enlisted and some of the worst officers were former enlisted. A former enlisted has an advantage with the enlisted when he checks into a unit but it does not take them long to figure you out and then the respect you get is the respect you earn.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two issues here: "Mustang" and "prior."

Traditionally in the fleet, Mustangs are the LDO/CWO dudes. I was a first class with >8 years enlisted service and I have never referred to myself as a Mustang, and I don't know anyone with a similar background who does.

Second, as far as I'm concerned, unless you've served in a fleet billet (I.E. something other than a training command), you're not a prior. This goes for all you (mostly) non-white guys who got picked up for BOOST after boot camp, or nuke power school morons who were ushered en mass to a commissioning source before hitting the street in your respective rates.

That's how most people view it.

Brett

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
The general conscience is that you must have served 4 years enlisted service and have been promoted through a commissioning program; others say a minimum of a good conduct. But regardless… People say “I’ve never referred to myself as a Mustang” well I hope not, then you would be thought of as “that guy”, someone who lacks personal character or distinctive characteristics so he or she uses a superficial title in order to craft a personal identity for themselves – just my personal observation.

Those who run around advertising “I’m a Mustang, I’m a Mustang” are normally the ones who have no personal life and few friends (if any) and could be found (while on deployment overseas in liberty ports) going out on liberty by themselves – very, very sad!

Being called a “Mustang” is a badge of honor highly respected by enlisted and officers alike, and should be warn proudly (irrespective of what others think), but warn discreetly. It’s an earned recognition, that is it! It’s not a club or a friggin’ college fraternity. You don’t walk in a room reppin’ “Mustang in da house… Mustang in da house, whoop, whoop!” or something.

You are recognized through the ribbons you wear (good conducts, etc), warfare devices (EAWS, EXW, ESWS, etc), etc, etc. Anything beyond that is drawing useless attention to your dull and meaningless lifestyle.

Sorry for the rant!