• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Enlisted Commissioning website by Mustangs for future Mustangs

OC/EMC

You don’t walk in a room reppin’ “Mustang in da house… Mustang in da house, whoop, whoop!” or something./quote]

oops...that would explain a lot.

As an earlier poster eluded to, the "fleet perception" of what a Mustang is, from my experience, is that of a CWO/LDO. If you had enlisted service, regardless of length, and then was commissioned via whatever other means, then you are simply referred to as a "prior". I think the present day understanding of who is a Mustang is different than that of its original conception. I imagine that it differs from this explanation as you go from community to community as well.

In any event, it mostly about what are you doing now, not what have you accomplished in the past, wearing a different uniform.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
One of the guys I used to work for got picked up for LDO as a first class and at the ceremony, another LDO passed on a big statue of a Mustang in honor of the tradition. I believe that the phrase originated from guys who were 'spot promoted' for courageous acts during war, but has grown to mean any officer that was enlisted. I think the Mustang website lists eligibiliy as a good condcut medal, but either way I think that a Mustang is a CWO/LDO thing. I think it equates to the fact that everyone is authorized to wear brown shoes, but only aviators do it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I agree w/Brett. On "da boat", only LDO/CWO dudes refer to themselves as Mustangs. Anyone else...just a prior E.
On another note: A great callsign for that crusty old pilot or NFO in your squadron who still looks and acts like he is enlisted:
MOPED
Most Obvious Prior Enlisted Dude

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
Kind of a constructive question: why would someone want to go to a newly-developing website that focuses on commissioning in the Navy for prior enlisted when AirWarriors already exists and it covers that and more?

Seems kinda like driving a golf cart to work when you have a Chevelle in your garage.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Eh....I am sure that their hearts are in the right place and it sounds like a fine idea. I hope it works out for them.
I just think the term "Mustang" is (in my limited experience) only used by the LDO/CWO community.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I gotta say, mostly I am referred to as a "Prior"...I don't usually bring it up unless someone asks, it helps me blend in with the herd...

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
The general time was 4 years which used to be the time it would take to get a good conduct medal. But in 95 (+/-1 year) they changed it to 3 years. I only think of Mustangs as LDO/CWO. Even with my 8.5 years enlisted I don't really consider myself a Mustang just, I consider myself a pilot. Yes I know you can be both. I just think of Mustangs as still working in their rate so to speak.

BTW Training commands do not make you a prior. No fleet time = just a regular douche bag. Kind of like the difference between an E-5 and a 2nd class.

ICE COLD BEER

"In the Navy, a Mustang is an Officer who has promoted up from the ranks of Navy enlisted personnel through an in-service procurement program, with no interruption of his/her active duty status. It is also understood that the Mustang Officer was a career Sailor, and normally wears one or more Good Conduct Medals.
Thus, the Navy Mustang is either a Navy Limited Duty Officers (LDO), a Chief Warrant Officers (CWO), or commissioned through the Direct Fleet Accession, Seaman to Admiral (STA-21) program, or through the Enlisted Commissioning Program including OCS. In the past, there were other programs leading to a commission, such as NESEP, or the Naval Flight Officer program, but these have since gone away."

I find it appalling that for the number of prior enlisted O's posting on this thread this many of you have blatantly forgotten where you came from. That is part of the problem with naval leadership today. Those of you who are prior E's were selected to be an o because someone out there thought you’d make a good officer simply based on your enlisted performance, don't disappoint them. Unless you graduated from the academy then you are no thorough breed officer and nor will you ever be. If you are prior e and fit the quoted description above then guess what, you are a Mustang like it or not. You are the second best thing the Navy has to offer their subordinates as leaders second only to USNA graduates. Get over your selves people and except who you really are and be proud of the honor badge bestowed on you. Enlisted people respect you; I hope you do not disrespect them by disrespecting your selves and where you came from.

Dog pile if you wish, but you cannot show your as*** any more than you already have.
Rant/ over

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
For the record, Marines refer to most priors as Mustangs, not just CWOs and LDOs. I have yet to meet anybody who refers to themselves as a mustang on a regular basis. That would be pretty lame.

To join the Marine Corps Mustang Association (a legit institution) all you need is to have served enlisted and as an officer...and have $40. No time constraints.

No...I am not a member:sleep_125

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
"In the Navy, a Mustang is an Officer who has promoted up from the ranks of Navy enlisted personnel through an in-service procurement program, with no interruption of his/her active duty status. It is also understood that the Mustang Officer was a career Sailor, and normally wears one or more Good Conduct Medals.
Thus, the Navy Mustang is either a Navy Limited Duty Officers (LDO), a Chief Warrant Officers (CWO), or commissioned through the Direct Fleet Accession, Seaman to Admiral (STA-21) program, or through the Enlisted Commissioning Program including OCS. In the past, there were other programs leading to a commission, such as NESEP, or the Naval Flight Officer program, but these have since gone away."

I find it appalling that for the number of prior enlisted O's posting on this thread this many of you have blatantly forgotten where you came from. That is part of the problem with naval leadership today. Those of you who are prior E's were selected to be an o because someone out there thought you’d make a good officer simply based on your enlisted performance, don't disappoint them. Unless you graduated from the academy then you are no thorough breed officer and nor will you ever be. If you are prior e and fit the quoted description above then guess what, you are a Mustang like it or not. You are the second best thing the Navy has to offer their subordinates as leaders second only to USNA graduates. Get over your selves people and except who you really are and be proud of the honor badge bestowed on you. Enlisted people respect you; I hope you do not disrespect them by disrespecting your selves and where you came from.

Dog pile if you wish, but you cannot show your as*** any more than you already have.
Rant/ over

WTF? Slow down, Turbo! You're out of line, and you've just opened a can of whoopass upon yourself. I award you no points and may God have mercy upon your soul.

And who the eff are you anyway to be talking to anybody like that; whether they are USNA Gods or 2nd Best Mustangs or OCS Street Urchins?

HueyCobra8151

pilot

Rant/ over

You are that guy...way to go.

By the way, who the fuck put you in charge of determining what commissioning source produces the "best thing the Navy has to offer their subordinates as leaders"?

Here's a tip: There are shitty mustangs and good mustangs, just like there are shitty academy grads and good academy grads.

At least we can agree that there are NO good NROTC grads (haha, I kid I kid, and just to prove it: Bam, smiley ;))

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

I find it appalling that for the number of prior enlisted O's posting on this thread this many of you have blatantly forgotten where you came from. That is part of the problem with naval leadership today. Those of you who are prior E's were selected to be an o because someone out there thought you?d make a good officer simply based on your enlisted performance, don't disappoint them. Unless you graduated from the academy then you are no thorough breed officer and nor will you ever be. If you are prior e and fit the quoted description above then guess what, you are a Mustang like it or not. You are the second best thing the Navy has to offer their subordinates as leaders second only to USNA graduates. Get over your selves people and except who you really are and be proud of the honor badge bestowed on you. Enlisted people respect you; I hope you do not disrespect them by disrespecting your selves and where you came from.

Rant/ over

Gee, thanks for clearing that up for us. I guess we have no fucking clue since we aren't out there leading sailors and kicking ass in the fleet while you are deciding who makes the best leaders.