• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New CNO?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's not enough to make fun of someone for being wrong if you can't prove WHY they're wrong.
Not a proof per se, but this made me raise an eyebrow...

I fail to follow Mr. Lehman's logic here:

Worst of all, if the job is seen as a steppingstone, a fraying of the zero-defects culture may begin and the possibility of a nuclear accident within the U.S. Navy may increase. The consequences of a nuclear incident would be devastating and would threaten the Navy’s ability to continue to operate its current reactor designs.
Is he really arguing that a future NR Chief will accept more risk and allow practices that lead to reactor accident simply because he maybe possibly one day can be promoted to CNO? I'm pretty sure that having a blemish like that would preclude one from being selected as CNO or even serving the rest of his term as NR.

Not only that, we frequently complain of the oppposite in practice - commanders who are too risk-adverse and apply draconian/cumbersome/time consuming policies to CYA because failure will derail a career.

In fact, ADM Richardson is the supposed father of the 'brief-walkthrough-certify" practice for EVERYTHING where sailors spend 2-3x longer preparing and getting permission to do their job than actually doing it. Nothing like a long line waiting outside maneuvering because everyone has to spend 10 minutes briefing every single MRC they plan to do, regardless of whether or not it affects reactor safety, and another 10 minutes pretending to do it before actually getting a yes.

Would that be one of the policies Mr. Lehman deems as unsafe for nuclear reactor operations that ADM Richardson instituted just to get promoted to CNO? It seems that Mr. Lehman is not very familiar with ADM Richardon's track record as a flag officer, and is just speculating about a slippery slope.

I feel that Admiral Richardson will do a good job.
So does President Obama, and that's the only real opinion that counts.

Last edited:

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Ruh roh.... Maybe Shorty or DCNO will live to see another shot at the head-shed.

"The Navy is reviewing allegations that President Barack Obama’s nominee to become the next chief of naval operations violated laws barring federal employees from lobbying the public when he urged attendees at a symposium to contact members of Congress in support of a new nuclear submarine program....."

"One expert, Kenneth Gold, who directs the Government Affairs Institute at Georgetown University, said anti-lobbying laws seek “'to prohibit exactly the kind of acts that these admirals are being accused of.'” - Politico

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ruh roh.... Maybe Shorty or DCNO will live to see another shot at the head-shed...."One expert, Kenneth Gold, who directs the Government Affairs Institute at Georgetown University, said anti-lobbying laws seek “'to prohibit exactly the kind of acts that these admirals are being accused of.'” - Politico

Eh, that is a pretty broad reading of the law even from an 'expert' but it could be enough to sink the nomination though I am doubtful.