• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New CNO?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This and the CJCS transition will start a domino effect of Flag job changes. Will be interesting to watch.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili.../12/john-richardson-cno-top-officer/27191563/

This kind of surprises me, I don't know of anyone not retiring from the NR position.
ADM Richardson has apparently been walking on water since he was a 3-star COMSUBFOR, if not sooner. The only thing I know of him is his manifesto, "The Design for Undersea Warfare," which is when everyone started to talk about how great this man was. There is a push for him to be the next CNO so that he is the guy to make the big decisions on the SSBN-X acquisition program.

Not only is he being considered for CNO, he's only been head of NR for 3 of his 8 year term.

exNavyOffRec

ADM Richardson has apparently been walking on water since he was a 3-star COMSUBFOR, if not sooner. The only thing I know of him is his manifesto, "The Design for Undersea Warfare," which is when everyone started to talk about how great this man was. There is a push for him to be the next CNO so that he is the guy to make the big decisions on the SSBN-X acquisition program.

Not only is he being considered for CNO, he's only been head of NR for 3 of his 8 year term.

I haven't heard much about him, but the little I have from people I know say it is all good

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...There is a push for him to be the next CNO so that he is the guy to make the big decisions on the SSBN-X acquisition program.

I was reading about this in Foreign Policy this morning, but it doesn't compute for me. Push by whom? I'm sure the SubFor guys would like that, but I don't think the President polls the Navy when he's considering the nomination for CNO.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard rumblings that some in the nuc community are bothered by this; they don't want want NR to become a stepping stone for other 4-star jobs.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard rumblings that some in the nuc community are bothered by this; they don't want want NR to become a stepping stone for other 4-star jobs.

That's because of Rickover's legacy, where DNR is essentially "Shadow CNO for Submarine Stuff".

Only the sub dudes could possibly regard one of their own becoming CNO as a step down...

exNavyOffRec

That's because of Rickover's legacy, where DNR is essentially "Shadow CNO for Submarine Stuff".

Only the sub dudes could possibly regard one of their own becoming CNO as a step down...

well, really how many flag officers get to be a 4 star for 8 years, to me that is impressive.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SSBN(X) uber alles - including ships, aircraft, and people.

Yeah, between the SECDEF's supposed lukewarm support of CVN's and this latest rumor I am a bit worried about what that means for the rest of the Navy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But Carter will be well on his way by the time any meaningful decisions are made WRT CVN force structure - not to mention the statutory piece of that. OPNAV understands the manner in which its bread is buttered.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But Carter will be well on his way by the time any meaningful decisions are made WRT CVN force structure - not to mention the statutory piece of that. OPNAV understands the manner in which its bread is buttered.

I think he could still make an impact even in his short amount of time.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I was reading about this in Foreign Policy this morning, but it doesn't compute for me. Push by whom? I'm sure the SubFor guys would like that, but I don't think the President polls the Navy when he's considering the nomination for CNO.
I don't know how the CNO is groomed and selected, which is why I was ambiguous. I just know that I started hearing this rumor of NR -> CNO about 3-4 months ago.
Every submariner is a member of the nuke community, but not every member of the nuke community is a submariner. Lots of LDOs, retired guys, and civilians exist within the organization.

Quite frankly, most career submarine officers are not that hard up about the whole nuclear power thing. It's simply the way we get from point A to point B to do the important stuff.

Last edited: