• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New CNO?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
He hasn't been thrilled since women were allowed in combat roles.
:rolleyes: That doesn't really add much.

Am I to presume that you would discredit subsequent opinions / expressions / work by Lehman because you and he had/have a fundamental disagreement on one issue?

This problem you alluded to - did that prevent him from performing admirably as part of the 9/11 Commission?

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
:rolleyes: That doesn't really add much.
You're right, I could have been more succinct.

91sn32Q.jpg

But really - Lehman is continually fighting losing battles, to say nothing of "this is the hill you want to die on?" I guess it does sell papers.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
But really - Lehman is continually fighting losing battles, to say nothing of "this is the hill you want to die on?" I guess it does sell papers.
Are they really losing battles or just the opinions of a man you disagree with? Those are two very different things, no? Or is the problem that he is an unabashed conservative holdout from the Reagan years? One of these days we'll do an experiment around here and post an article of his without the name attached. It will be interesting to see what kind of response it gets, and then again after the name is added.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Can I hazard a guess at your opinion of Jim Webb? One might argue that he and Lehman couldn't be on further ends of the political spectrum from one another, and yet there's this - strikingly similar in tone.

"old men yelling..." such a dismissive and smug way of describing people of a different generation who see things differently.... Wait... Wasn't there a thread around here somewhere where people argued about stereotyping millennials?

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are they really losing battles or just the opinions of a man you disagree with? Those are two very different things, no? Or is the problem that he is an unabashed conservative holdout from the Reagan years? One of these days we'll do an experiment around here and post an article of his without the name attached. It will be interesting to see what kind of response it gets, and then again after the name is added.

He has a reliable point of view but I wouldn't be so sure not knowing his authorship would really change someone's mind on what folks thought of his pieces.

Ironic for a guy who got wings but never went to flight school.

exNavyOffRec

I think it is a bit overwrought, one Admiral leaving early isn't going to be the end of Navy Nuclear Power as we know it.

It won't be the end but I do feel some of what he is saying, the 8 year term prevents the "what is this guy looking for" growing pains from occurring every few years, and given the 8 year rotation they have a good idea about who the next guy will be well in advance, the people now in play for NR are those that until a few weeks ago never had a shot, it will be interesting to see who ends up taking the NR position.

I do find it interesting how he talks about Rickover the way he does considering he is the one that essentially pushed him out the door.

I feel that Admiral Richardson will do a good job.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do find it interesting how he talks about Rickover the way he does considering he is the one that essentially pushed him out the door.
This occurred to me as well, and he really dances around that inconvenient little detail in the editorial, too.

As much as I think there's a time and place for "old man yells at cloud" mockery, RLSO has a point. It's infected our public discourse to the point where reflexive snark has replaced the ability to rebut someone point-by-point. It's not enough to make fun of someone for being wrong if you can't prove WHY they're wrong.