• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New API Class up policy

HueyCobra8151

pilot
There is nothing better than going to ridiculous lengths for pointless chest candy. Wear that lead sled with pride!

IRfly

None
Marine pool is a little/lot different. Other than not having to deal with the pettiness that I perceive to be the Navy A-Pool (sorry guys, perception is a bitch) the class up priorities are different.

It goes in this order:

1. TBS class
2. Report Date
3. Completion of API class-up prereqs(API, NOMI, etc)
4. TBS class rank

There are 7 to 9 a week pushing right now with about 160 to 180 in the pool. Do the math and you're here for awhile.

Phone muster <0800 every day, and then a 10 minute COB muster at the end of the day. There are PLENTY of stash billets, but still not everybody is stashed. Some are pretty heavy and time intensive (AMS Plt Cmdr comes to mind). Other are pretty quick and easy (Paint Ball FEX AI).
Does having a higher rank mean that you class up sooner or later?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
You'll have to take DIVOLC before classing up...

Did they change the sequence so that DIVOLC is done before IFS now? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere in the mess of pool announcements, that people are going to start doing DIVOLC after they finish their initial check-in stuff...I've been on station three weeks and am doing DIVOLC next week...IFS to follow, I'm assuming.

If I'm wrong (which is on par with my track record right now :D) I'll hush up.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Guess what.....the policy a year ago was to make you do BOLTC (or DIVOLTC whatever) before you classed for API. Yet there were quite a few of us single anchor studs that made it out of pcola w/o the "qual". Don't worry, they will find you, probably during the last two weeks you are in primary waiting to select no less :)

Just sayin that there are no hard and fast rules to A-pool, API, Primary or whatever. Your experience can and will be different than those of us who have gone (even) shortly before you. Worry not....it won't matter. And I honestly still stand up for the guy who wants to class up quickly. Sorry but there is nothing great about being a useless ENS with absolutely no flight school experience out in the big A pool. All you are doing is wondering and maybe trying to get a head start if you are overly motivated. I wanted to class as fast as possible, did just that, and have absolutely no regrets. The better time to be in a pool was before primary, or better yet after you selected into advanced. You will have a lot more freedom of movement in either case, and most likely a better quality of life in the pool.

navybrooks

just a thought

wouldn't have made more sense to make this change between the classes of 2008 and 2009 so that we aren't "screwing" people that have been on board for a long time?

phrogpilot73

And I honestly still stand up for the guy who wants to class up quickly. Sorry but there is nothing great about being a useless ENS with absolutely no flight school experience out in the big A pool. All you are doing is wondering and maybe trying to get a head start if you are overly motivated. I wanted to class as fast as possible, did just that, and have absolutely no regrets. The better time to be in a pool was before primary, or better yet after you selected into advanced. You will have a lot more freedom of movement in either case, and most likely a better quality of life in the pool.
What the fuck are you talking about? Any free time getting paid as a commissioned officer is good. Period. It ain't happening again, unless you put in for leave.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Age matters?

Along with the "new" class up policy, other gouge has put out, specifically about age requirements.

Apparently there is an instruction on age requirements that some are interpreting as upper limits for winging. The gouge being thrown around is that we "cannot have passed 29th birthday for single anchor STUDs and 31st birthday for double anchor STUDs".

Those who fall into this category (myself included) are very familiar with the age requirements for STA-21 and OCS commissioning (which we've already met: thus bars on collar), but this is the first time I've heard of an upper age limit for winging which would contradict the commissioning limits in some cases.

So, to all ye "aged" students and all salty Aviators: Is there a CNTRA instruction, or any other instruction for that matter that discusses upper age limits for winging?

Because of this age discussion, it sounds like we older ENS's will be classing up for API sooner rather than later to avoid potential age problems...... That is if there is an instruction that states an upper age limit for winging......

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
So the new policy hosed me. I was on the list to start tomorrow as of Wednesday, thats not so anymore. More getting paid to work out for me.

Python

pilot
Contributor
So excuse my ignorance...but will this shorten or increase the wait to class up overall? Also, if I skip IFS, how will that be affected in this formula?

torpedo0126

So excuse my ignorance...but will this shorten or increase the wait to class up overall? Also, if I skip IFS, how will that be affected in this formula?

The commissioning date versus time on board won't shorten anything in the grand scheme, its just going to change some people around. So some people will go faster and others will wait.

HOWEVER, what will speed things up is their decision to increase the pilot slots up to 21-30.

Your going to wait at least 1.5 months when you get down here, so don't waste $6000+ on trying to get flight time so you don't have to take IFS. IFS will give you something to do and eat up some of that time.

If you want to really speed things up, volunteer for Vance. You can pick your class-up date. My friend loves being in APool and is thinking of volunteering for Vance and asking to class up in September.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

If you're still 3+ months from commissioning, don't even worry about it. Policies may well have changed by the time you get down here. At this point, there is NO WAY to estimate how long you'll be in the pool. Just take it in stride and relax.

Skipping IFS will obviously shorten your time waiting for API, but again...this system is too complicated, too out of our control, and too constantly changing to make any kind of remotely educated guess as to how long things will take.