• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New 3710.7U

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't speak for the 57 but when I flew the 34 I understood the single pilot thing was due to a single instrument source i.e. both pilots are looking at the same data. What about the 57/18/45? The 44 has two sources (one for each side) so there is a level of redundancy the 34 doesn't have. So not really the level of copilot mattered as much as the data being presented to that 2nd pilot.

That makes sense, but I'm waiting for a HT guy to chime in. My recollection of SOPs and things Wiener oriented are fading fast.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I can't speak for the 57 but when I flew the 34 I understood the single pilot thing was due to a single instrument source i.e. both pilots are looking at the same data. What about the 57/18/45? The 44 has two sources (one for each side) so there is a level of redundancy the 34 doesn't have. So not really the level of copilot mattered as much as the data being presented to that 2nd pilot.

Is it possible the single pilot restriction is due to a single visual source? In a tandem setup, the guy in back won't see the break-out before the guy in front.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

The way it was always described in IGS at NUW for the Prowler/Intruder was that both the aircrew could visually acquire the landing environment. Clearly we only had one set of instruments and only one source for them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm probably out to lunch, but IIRC all tandem cockpit aircraft (t-6/34/45/f18D w/ ctls in back) are considered single piloted....not sure why side by side seating would be considered single piloted if you have dual controls/instruments & both pilots were NATOPS qualed....maybe just SOP?

SF

^^Concur. The tandem rule has to do with being able to "visually acquire the landing environment," which apparently one can not do adequately from the backseat.

Brett

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
^^Concur. The tandem rule has to do with being able to "visually acquire the landing environment," which apparently one can not do adequately from the backseat.

Brett
Interesting...back in my E-6 days, on low ceiling/vis/at mins approaches, we would have one guy fly the approach and one guy look for the runway...if he saw it he would take the controls and land. We found the inside/outside scan degraded the approach profile. This is a simplified explanation of the responsibilities but you get my drift.FWIW, I still feel "less than single piloted" with a stud while using dual piloted rules/mins in the T-44. I would still like to hear form the 18/57 dudes too.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That makes sense, but I'm waiting for a HT guy to chime in. My recollection of SOPs and things Wiener oriented are fading fast.
Well, I double checked my RWOP (2008- current) and sure enough it spells out that IP-IP the TH-57 is considered multi-piloted for weather criteria. (The 2006 version says the same thing too, but I couldn't find a couple even earlier editions I have packed away somewhere... yep, I'm a packrat.) Wingers don't count towards dual pilot though (the short explanation is the student syllabus doesn't include a proper NATOPS check so they're technically not qualified in model- "safe for solo" is a different animal). Honestly I can't remember one way or another if there have been precedents of more restrictive squadron SOPs/wing-directed read-and-initial restrictions/etc., not to say that couldn't or hasn't happened, just nothing comes to mind. Hope that helps.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I double checked my RWOP (2008- current) and sure enough it spells out that IP-IP the TH-57 is considered multi-piloted for weather criteria. (The 2006 version says the same thing too, but I couldn't find a couple even earlier editions I have packed away somewhere... yep, I'm a packrat.) Wingers don't count towards dual pilot though (the short explanation is the student syllabus doesn't include a proper NATOPS check so they're technically not qualified in model- "safe for solo" is a different animal). Honestly I can't remember one way or another if there have been precedents of more restrictive squadron SOPs/wing-directed read-and-initial restrictions/etc., not to say that couldn't or hasn't happened, just nothing comes to mind. Hope that helps.

I must be remembering wrong or just misheard something in IGS. The latter is certainly likely, since I didn't really listen in there anyway. On the T-34 side, it was single-pilot all the time, presumably because of the tandem seat thing. I guess that begs the question as to what minimums you should be following if the IP is in the back and breaking out at mins. Do they have "half-pilot" mins?

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Did you guys see the ASAP reporting part? It is now mandatory for all pilots to complete after the flight. The paperwork mountain just got a little higher.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did you guys see the ASAP reporting part? It is now mandatory for all pilots to complete after the flight. The paperwork mountain just got a little higher.

It's actually been mandatory for a couple of years now. Whether it's actually completed is a whole other issue.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
From the guy who taught IGS for a few years at NUW, we put it out (and this was based on the AF's uber super duper IGS course in TX) that both pilots needed to be able to see the PRIMARY flight instruments. In the Prowler both the pilot and E1 could see the EFIS, E1 had an "instrument rating" and the crew could shoot approaches under the umbrella of being dual piloted. The Hornet (deltas) or rhinos (foxtrots) are not considered dual piloted because the primary flight instrument is the HUD and the backseater can not see it - and yes I know you can pull various things up on your MFDs in the back but apparently it doesn't count.
definition per the 3710T & U... Single-Piloted Aircraft. Any aircraft that has only one set of flight controls or a tandem cockpit, or any aircraft that has two sets of flight controls and instruments and is being operated by only one pilot who meets the requirements of the NATOPS manual for that model aircraft.

with that definition, unless I'm f'd up... any tandem seat aircraft is considered single piloted. Any side by side seated aircraft is single piloted if it doesn't have two sets of controls & two NATOPS qualed pilots.

Not sure why tandem cockpit aircraft with two sets of controls & instruments with two NATOPS qualed pilots is considered single piloted... it can't be due to aft vis for the backseat pilot because, as Gator brought up, how would the rules work with an IP in the trunk of a T-34/6/45 with a student in the front. The student isn't NATOPS qualed. My guess it has to do with crew coordination with side by side seating vs tandem seating.

SF

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I know it was in the 3710T & is in the 3710U, but could somebody define the boozing rules.... 12 hours bottle to flight planning ... when does flight planning start?

for some flights, flight planning could start days prior to the actual flight... hell, submitting a weekend cross country request several days or a week prior could constitute flight planning. Planning a det or transpac starts months prior...

what was wrong with 12 hours bottle to brief & free of effects?

whatever

SF

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If that's the case, we basically can never drink, and that's bullshit.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Not sure why tandem cockpit aircraft with two sets of controls & instruments with two NATOPS qualed pilots is considered single piloted... it can't be due to aft vis for the backseat pilot because, as Gator brought up, how would the rules work with an IP in the trunk of a T-34/6/45 with a student in the front. The student isn't NATOPS qualed. My guess it has to do with crew coordination with side by side seating vs tandem seating.
SF

Well unless I'm mistaken, all the T-34 students are in the back seat for their instrument flights with the IP up front. And if I remember right, the wx mins are pretty high for their normal flights. And the T-45 starts the same way with the stud in the back for the instruments. We didn't sit up front for instrument flights until after our first instrument check.