• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New 3710.7U

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Well unless I'm mistaken, all the T-34 students are in the back seat for their instrument flights with the IP up front. And if I remember right, the wx mins are pretty high for their normal flights. And the T-45 starts the same way with the stud in the back for the instruments. We didn't sit up front for instrument flights until after our first instrument check.

You're in the back because you can't go under the hood in the front seat. Gotta be able to see and avoid traffic.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well unless I'm mistaken, all the T-34 students are in the back seat for their instrument flights with the IP up front. And if I remember right, the wx mins are pretty high for their normal flights. And the T-45 starts the same way with the stud in the back for the instruments. We didn't sit up front for instrument flights until after our first instrument check.

The weather mins are for solos, not for Fams in general. I've taken off on a Fam flight while in the back seat KNOWING I was going to go IMC. I even filed an On Top. One time, on a Fam 2, we launched into a ~800/something solid overcast. As we punched through, it was CAVU above. I was hoping it was going to clear as we went into the working area, but no dice. After a couple of Level Speed Changes and no sign of the area below us, we went back to shoot an actual approach back to Whiting. There's plenty of times you, as an IP, fly instruments/approaches while in the back, and that's not even counting the bizarro world of ITU instructing.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the T-34 you don't do what we did in T-6 land for fams where you file an IFR clearance out to the MOA and cancel on top, regardless of the cloud deck? IIRC, for our contact flights if we couldn't see the ground we were prohibited from doing spins and aerobatics, but we could do everything else in our MOA box.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the T-34 you don't do what we did in T-6 land for fams where you file an IFR clearance out to the MOA and cancel on top, regardless of the cloud deck? IIRC, for our contact flights if we couldn't see the ground we were prohibited from doing spins and aerobatics, but we could do everything else in our MOA box.

Generally, no. More than half of Fams for SNAs is down low, so you need to have good weather, or at least weather that's good enough. We had the same rules for spins, but SNAs require a lot more time in the pattern than a SNFO.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, makes sense. I remember now the Whiting guys were generally working in the alert area below the Gator MOA.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nobody worked in MOA's in Corpus, though I think that was because we worked out over the water in alert areas. Either way we were always VFR unless doing RI's or something where we normally filed stereo plans unless going on the road.