• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Caught the first 3 episodes of both Tulsa King with Sylvester Stallone and Star Trek Strange New Worlds on the flight home - both were superb and I will sign up for Paramount+ to watch those plus Yellowstone.

Note: noticed that the Enterprise’s warp nacelles both rotate inward - does that mean starships do not have a critical engine?

GroundPounder

Note: noticed that the Enterprise’s warp nacelles both rotate inward - does that mean starships do not have a critical engine?
I'm not a Star Trek geek, but for some reason I started watching YouTube videos where people take 30 minutes to explain some weird engineering flaw or anomaly on Star Trek spacecraft. Somewhere, someone knows the answer to your question and can give you a date of the first use, and what ships have ( will have ? ) the feature. The good thing is that they don't have to worried about being interrupted by their girlfriend will doing research.

1690374928775.png

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Caught the first 3 episodes of both Tulsa King with Sylvester Stallone and Star Trek Strange New Worlds on the flight home - both were superb and I will sign up for Paramount+ to watch those plus Yellowstone.

I really enjoyed Tulsa King more than I thought I would.

If you haven't seen Picard or Discovery yet, they're both definitely worth it as well (and only available on Paramount+).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you haven't seen Picard or Discovery yet, they're both definitely worth it as well (and only available on Paramount+).

I liked Picard and Discovery well enough, but I found them both really uneven in quality. And prone to coming up with interesting original takes on characters and stories and then either watering them down to nothingness or abandoning them altogether. Disposing of a character like Gabriel Lorca after a single season should count as a war crime, and I enjoyed Burnham and Stamets a lot more when they were in “Don Draper-esque arrogant dicks but really good at their job” mode rather than the chipper team players they made them into. And Picard was on an interesting path with their first season “crew of lovable Chaotic Good rogues just fucked up enough to be relatable, operating just outside the law” schtick, and then said fuck it, it’s now the TNG Reunion Special.

I don’t know if there’s an “official” trope name for it, but I think of it as the Skywalker Effect: no how vast and complex a franchise universe becomes, somehow writers will always end up tying everyone and everything to the same central 2-4 characters.

I could never get into Strange New Worlds. I get that the idea was to recapture the Original Series vibe, but it always felt like they were trying too hard. Like really well-funded cosplayers. Which is a shame because Anson Mount should be way bigger in Hollywood than he is.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with your take on Picard. Season 2 more or less bored me, but I really enjoyed the reunion on the last season. On a bit if a tangent, I listened to Frakes, Spiner and Wheaton on the “Inside of You” podcast. They were all on different episodes, but it was really great to hear their perspectives on the shows. Frakes has remained involved with all the series as a director, so his takes were most interesting. He, Spiner and McFadden are in their 70s, which kinda blew me away.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To say Picard S3 is even the same show as the previous 2 seasons is disingenuous. Terry Mitalas respected the mess he was handed as showrunner (and writer), but Mitalas came from the TNG era of Trek production, so he knew what worked and what the bulk of fans want (basically, not the JJ Abrams universe). Disco and Picard S1&S2 ratings were absolutely abysmal because so many of the fans left (myself included). Season 3 was so successful because Mitalas "got it," unlike Alex Kurtzman and his ilk.

Mos

None
Just enjoyed watching Ewan and Colin McGregor - RAF Centenary, which came out in 2018 at the 100 year anniversary of the RAF. It's on Prime. Not a very deep or extensive documentary, but has some good interviews with pilots from different periods of the service's history, and pays homage to some lesser known heroes.