• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I finally got around to watching Thirteen Lives last weekend, after watching The Rescue when it first premiered a while back. Honestly, I thought the documentary was a much better telling of the story, and some of the more amazing aspects - eg, the girlfriend of one of the lead divers just happened to be from the same small country town where the boys were from - were stranger than fiction. The way they filmed the doc really conveyed the claustrophobia and physical stress of cave-diving, more strikingly than the movie.

Plus the 'first name only' guy who showed up to help facilitate things with the government...fit, short hair, mentions he speaks fluent Thai, has been through dive school, knows a lot of senior government officials, and they snap at the cameraman to stop filming him. Dude had Agency written all over him, I was surprised they left him in the doc.
I'll have to check out the documentary.

number9

Contributor
Echo 3 on AppleTV+ is pretty badass. Lost of CAG/SOF goodness. From the guy who did Hurt Locker/Triple Frontier.
Just started this. I really like the actress who plays the lead character; she was an excellent series called Rubicon on AMC that never got its due and was canceled after one season.

I've never heard of Triple Frontier, so I'll add it to the list.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mrs Fester and I just got into watching The Diplomat, and four episodes in it's easily one of the best shows I've seen in a long while.

Kerry Russell is a career Foreign Service Officer who gets unexpectedly tapped to be ambassador to the UK when a crisis between Britain and Iran suddenly erupts. It's sort of like The West Wing but in a minor key (ie, lots more swear words and a lot more cynical but same clever, snappy dialogue) and if Aaron Sorkin actually knew anything about how politics and diplomacy work. I've read that the writers spent about two years doing research and brought on a lot of State, IC, and military folks as advisors, and it shows.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mrs Fester and I just got into watching The Diplomat, and four episodes in it's easily one of the best shows I've seen in a long while.

Kerry Russell is a career Foreign Service Officer who gets unexpectedly tapped to be ambassador to the UK when a crisis between Britain and Iran suddenly erupts. It's sort of like The West Wing but in a minor key (ie, lots more swear words and a lot more cynical but same clever, snappy dialogue) and if Aaron Sorkin actually knew anything about how politics and diplomacy work. I've read that the writers spent about two years doing research and brought on a lot of State, IC, and military folks as advisors, and it shows.
Agree. Started two nights ago. Mrs Wink insisted. I did not have high hopes. Would not have watched without being pushed into it by the wife unit. But like nearly everything she has pushed me into, it was a good call.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Agree. Started two nights ago. Mrs Wink insisted. I did not have high hopes. Would not have watched without being pushed into it by the wife unit. But like nearly everything she has pushed me into, it was a good call.

I was stiff arming this one as "Kerry Russell reprising her 'The Americans' roll" kind of thing. She and (her husband) Matthew Rhys did such a great job in that show. I was thinking this would be disappointment. But I'll give it a shot this weekend.

On another note- The Mayor of Kingstown on Paramount Plus is really good. Season 1 is GREAT, season 2 is slow- but being about to binge it will help a lot. I'm really hoping Jeremy Renner recovers well (it seems that he is) and that this show gets the greenlight for season 3.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I was stiff arming this one as "Kerry Russell reprising her 'The Americans' roll" kind of thing. She and (her husband) Matthew Rhys did such a great job in that show. I was thinking this would be disappointment. But I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Yeah Netflix isn’t exactly making a big todo about it. I wouldn’t have even heard of it except for reading a short blurb in one of the international affairs wonk sites (Foreign Policy, maybe?) about how it was surprisingly good and pretty accurate and the State/Foreign Service types were all chattering about it.

The only big implausible bit - career FSOs don’t get plush gigs like the UK, those go to political friends and big donors - they dispense with pretty quickly in the first episode.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had to giggle at that (in the show) given the previous U.S. ambassador to the U.K. was the implausibly-named Woody Johnson.
While it is true that the UK (or Canada, or Ireland, etc) ambassadorships don't usually go to career FSO's , they don't always go to politcal donors or allies. The UK frequently saw NAVEUR move from his HQ across Gosvner Square to the Ambassador's office in the Embassy. Off the top of my head, at least 3 times since WW II.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While it is true that the UK (or Canada, or Ireland, etc) ambassadorships don't usually go to career FSO's , they don't always go to politcal donors or allies. The UK frequently saw NAVEUR move from his HQ across Gosvner Square to the Ambassador's office in the Embassy. Off the top of my head, at least 3 times since WW II.
Edit: So I got curious and did some research. Memory was wrong about past NAVEUR Commanders becoming the ambassador. Seems it only happened once. ADM Crowe. My bad. But also learned far more career diplomats have served in the post, especially in recent years.

When I served on NAVEUR staff in the early 90s, HQ was off Bond Street adjacent to Grovsner Sq across the park from the Embassy. The building was leased for $1.00 per year from the royal family. It had been Eisenhower's HQ during WW II. In the drawing room where we would sometimes had Quarters there was a painting of the General over the fire place. In The Diplomat there is a picture of Eisenhower in the Ambassador's office that looks just like to one in the old NAVEUR Hq.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Watch the fist 3 episodes. State isn't IC, like this show promotes.
I’m getting it going and I agree. Moreover, I have to chuckle at the notion that State was doing all this great stuff in Afghanistan. Sadly, the people sent to Afghanistan and Iraq might have been genuinely sincere, but they were also wildly self-obsessed and equally incompetent. It actually put me off think of State as a good department with smart career employees.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ve been watching FUBAR. It is well written, fast, and quite funny. Kind of reminds me of a modern, high action Get Smart.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Silo on Apple TV is shaping up to be really good. I bought the book "Wool" that it's based on.

It's tough to give a proper synopsis without giving spoilers- but imagine a post apocalyptic world in which everyone lives in a huge (10,000 people and 142- 40ft stories) underground silo. The outside world is believed to still be toxic, and the history of the Silo was deleted 140 years ago in a rebellion.

Kind of like Fallout, but not really. And Fallout is getting an Amazon series this fall.

Edit to say I really enjoyed the Diplomat. The cast does a great job. You have to suspend your disbelief, but I think it's a good show.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
+1 on Diplomat - between Kerry Russel and the cool faux Marine One - Westland Sea King HAR.3 done up in HMX livery (UK civil registered as G-SEAK) :)

1685515481732.png

1685515542048.png

1685515588928.png

Last edited: