• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Neil Armstrong passes

Citation3

Neil-Armstrong-american-flag.jpg

Godspeed. A true American hero when America needed one.

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink." - Armstrong family statement.

jmcquate

Contributor
It's amazing how he kept life privite for so long after he left NASA. He moved backed to Ohio and didn't talk to the press. He was a prof at UC when I was there as a student. I remember seeing his name on the course listings. The news was sad to hear on the radio today.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

KBayDog

mckayla-moon-landing-0812.jpg

Seriously, though: Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo - every swinging Richard involved with those programs are American heroes. To accomplish what they did, on their aggressive timelines (not to mention that they essentially made everything up on the fly with nothing but their brains, slide rules, and titanium balls) will probably never be replicated...at least, not in any of our lifetimes.

Fun fact: Nobody born after 1935 has walked on the moon. Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17) is the youngest of the bunch at the age of 77.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
387122_10151112112614284_520890825_n.jpg

It was an honor to meet him when he flew out to the Ike in 2010.
I wish we had achieved another similar milestone before his passing.

Yup... that's about the same look on the face I had when I met him and shook his hand for the 1st time when I bumped into him in a nearly empty ballroom while he was preparing for his presentation the following day.

He was wearing a blue tie with a Naval Aviator Wings of Gold pattern when I did (clearly Naval Aviation was near and dear to him after all these years), so the only think I could come up with was "Nice tie! FLY NAVY, sir!"

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
So... who's gonna admit that they were the squadron who got to do the missing man flyover today?

Are they doing another one at Purdue on Monday?

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Mods: feel free to combine my posts into a single one, sorry for the spamming, but update:

Looks like VFA-106 and the Blue Blasters (VFA-34) got the honor. Wonder who the actual flight crew was. Anyone willing to admit?

Wonder who's doing it on Monday at Purdue...

576957_10151172275501772_348631412_n.jpg