• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Neil Armstrong passes

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
I was lucky enough to meet Neil Armstrong a couple of years ago at USNA when he visited us along with some other Naval Aviators. He was a very well spoken individual.

I remember one of the questions to each Naval Aviator was: "What was your favorite aircraft to fly?"

I remember Neil Armstrong said he really loved flying the F8F Bearcat. It must have been pretty neat to have flown all of those planes and been a part of the space exploration program.

Hopefully I'll be able to attend his memorial service next week at the National Cathedral although there is a LONG waiting list.

Attachments

• Grumman_F8F.jpg
    Grumman_F8F.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Pap

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
One morning, Buzz Aldrin or Michael Collins (I can't remember which) came into the office to get started on work. Neil was sitting at his desk, working on some paperwork, and just looked up for a second to say "good morning" before going back to his writing. Buzz/Michael went to the NASA shift lead to ask what was going on that day, and was told by the NASA techs that the missions were scrapped today because about an hour ago Neil Armstrong was running a test flight on the Lunar Landing Module when it's equipment failed and it plummeted to the earth and exploded in a giant fireball. Neil had almost died, but had somehow managed to eject a mere 200 feet from the ground and parachuted to safety with only minor injuries. When Buzz/Michael protested that he'd just seen Neil two seconds ago, the NASA guy was like, "Oh, yeah… he's filling out the after-mission report."

Awesome...