• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Neil Armstrong passes

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Surprised they didn't use NASA T-38s

From what the news reported, Naval Aviation was at the request of the family. That's what he would have wanted as a combat Naval Aviator himself.

The big question I have is: How many JOs did the skipper(s) of VFA-106 and -34 SHOVE aside and send on a CCX to Key West or wherever to enjoy themselves so that they could fly THIS missing man?... :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VFA squadrons don't have IPs, and no, there would most likely be an O4/O5 in the lead for something this important.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Well when we do big flyovers in the P-3... no wait, we don't do them. I made sure to give a wink to the moon tonight in honor of the legend himself.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
In the key of the "Hannukah Song" by Adam Sandler:

"Chuck Yeager... NOT a Naval Aviator!"

Robin Olds & Chuck Yeager are Honorary Naval Aviators. Somehow, in addition to being great sticks, they avoided the leadership/team destroying attitudes the USAF is so very famous for.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Robin Olds & Chuck Yeager are Honorary Naval Aviators. Somehow, in addition to being great sticks, they avoided the leadership/team destroying attitudes the USAF is so very famous for.

Well, I specifically meant that he's not a tailhooker, anyway. Every STUD who's CQ'd has 1 more trap supposedly than Yeager ever has had.

Chuck Yeager is not well liked by many from what I hear and read.

Someone once told me that when younger Air Force test pilots were deciding who would fly him in the back of an F-15D for the 50th Anniversary of the breaking of the sound barrier, they all drew straws... to LOSE.

I think some of that has to deal with the cutthroat egotistical rivalry among some of the test pilots. One of my instructors who knew and was friends with them both alleged that Chuck Yeager essentially danced over the grave of Scott Crossfield after he died few years back...

There is also story of Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong flying a flight together while at the NASA HSFS (High-Speed Flight Station) out of Edwards AFB and Neil supposedly getting them stuck in the mud on the Rogers Dry Lake Bed, which Yeager constantly poked in the eye of Neil about for the rest of his career whenever mention of how great a pilot he was ever mentioned.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
There is also story of Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong flying a flight together while at the NASA HSFS (High-Speed Flight Station) out of Edwards AFB and Neil supposedly getting them stuck in the mud on the Rogers Dry Lake Bed, which Yeager constantly poked in the eye of Neil about for the rest of his career whenever mention of how great a pilot he was ever mentioned.

Armstrong's version of events was much different (as I recall from reading First Man) and basically blamed Yeager.

Too bad. So much history and talent between the two, yet evidently they couldn't stand each other.