• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need depth perception test

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Hello all, I'm in the final stages of completing my OCS packet and my recruiter just informed me that MEPS did not conduct a required depth perception test when I went in for my medical exam. My recruiter recommended that I do not go back to MEPS to complete the depth perception test, and instead do it somewhere else. Others on Reddit said that I will likely be required to go back to MEPS so I am hearing conflicting information.

Does anyone know if I have to go back to MEPS or can I get it done at an independent ophthalmologist?

Thanks in advance!

exNavyOffRec

Hello all, I'm in the final stages of completing my OCS packet and my recruiter just informed me that MEPS did not conduct a required depth perception test when I went in for my medical exam. My recruiter recommended that I do not go back to MEPS to complete the depth perception test, and instead do it somewhere else. Others on Reddit said that I will likely be required to go back to MEPS so I am hearing conflicting information.

Does anyone know if I have to go back to MEPS or can I get it done at an independent ophthalmologist?

Thanks in advance!
This has gone back and forth, N3M has accepted civilian eye checks, then strictly said no, then sometimes yes and sometimes no. It is your money to spend and it could be worth it or it could not be. If I was your recruiter I would ask N3M and say MEPS didn't do this test will you accept a test from XXXX.

Average Monke

So I just asked my recruiter and she said she had multiple people do it on the civilian side, which it sounds like could be hit or miss. I believe my insurance should cover the exam so I might take my chances and go to MEPS if it does not work out.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So I just asked my recruiter and she said she had multiple people do it on the civilian side, which it sounds like could be hit or miss. I believe my insurance should cover the exam so I might take my chances and go to MEPS if it does not work out.
Have your recruiter verify with the medical folks that this is OKAY.

NOT COOL asking someone to pay out of pocket for an exam that won’t be accepted.

Average Monke

Have your recruiter verify with the medical folks that this is OKAY.

NOT COOL asking someone to pay out of pocket for an exam that won’t be accepted.
After double checking with my recruiter I got an eye exam with a local optometrist (depth perception was within limits). I dropped off the results this morning and my recruiter just called me back to confirm that the results were updated and accepted my N3M. The exam itself only cost me $10 and my medical insurance covered the rest.

Not sure if other recruiters do this, but it worked for me!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
After double checking with my recruiter I got an eye exam with a local optometrist (depth perception was within limits). I dropped off the results this morning and my recruiter just called me back to confirm that the results were updated and accepted my N3M. The exam itself only cost me $10 and my medical insurance covered the rest.

Not sure if other recruiters do this, but it worked for me!

Glad it worked, seems like the eye exam rule has shifted back allowing civilian exams.