• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Neat Field CQ Picture

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ghost119 said:
....Are there any rules againse duct taping a video camera to the top of the control panel, dash, whatever you guys call it, or next to the HUD?
The only "real rules" were don't take a CAT shot to the beach with a tennis racquet visible on the glareshield. Bad for morale on the flight deck ... :)

But cameras??? That's why we used to have B/N's ... in addition to being an extraordinarily competent male secretary ... they could, with a camera, document for posterity "how great thou art .... " (just kidding, B/N's ... and you know it ... so don't jump me in the parking lot :) )

CarrierLanding.gif

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
God damn, I thought the GW was going to look "small", but that's just TINY (yes I know the animated plane is not to scale).

beau

ah...102!!!...that jet has sticky a throttle that will not adjust.....sucks for him! one of our IP's took it away from one of our studs a couple of days ago....bless him!!!

We keep saying that we are going to talk to Mantainance about that one ...or write up a gripe...but they say its still with in limits...sooo...arm workout!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, because when they test it, they JAM the throttle back and forth "Works fine!"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
God damn, I thought the GW was going to look "small", but that's just TINY ....
Yeah, it's actually the "Bonnie Dick" ... a.k.a. USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31... a 27-Charlie type Essex boat. Same as the Lexington that we initial CQ'ed on .... small decks ... jets ..... those were NOT the days ... :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
okay fine, you won. But do they allow you to get a copy of that?

Of course, we record every flight on our personal tapes. You can keep the tape, it's not secret squirrel or anything. It's just a video camera that looks through the HUD.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a friend (same guy who punched out of the EA-6B in my recent post) who had our F-4 metal-smiths build a glare shield camera mount for him. It was rock solid, withstanding many cats and traps.

He flew a lot of Alpha Strikes over North Vietnam, and always had the camera mounted. He had a lot of fantastic and spectacular footage, around the boat and on his many air strikes. He edited and spliced, and finally had one long, awesome movie! Only got to see it a couple of times, though. Tragically, it was all later lost in a PCS move.
----------------------

Same squadron – we had a CO who thought it would be fun to put our wives/girlfriends in the back seat of an F-4, and do high-speed taxi runs down the NKX 12,000 ft. runway, one Sunday afternoon.

My girlfriend-of-the-weekend and I never got passed the hold short line. The first two F-4's returned with hot brakes, one having actually gotten airborne. And the third had to take the long field gear. The skipper wisely shut it all down before I could give my girl her high-speed thrill.

Ah, the good ol' days.;) It's a wonder any of us ever survived.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Catmando said:
.....He edited and spliced, and finally had one long, awesome movie! Only got to see it a couple of times, though. Tragically, it was all later lost in a PCS move.
----------------------
......first two F-4's returned with hot brakes, one having actually gotten airborne. .
I REMEMBER that F-4 airborne date ... big sh!tstorm at the time, as I recall.

We had one B/N -- Fred -- who was cinematically gifted ... he took endless rolls of 8mm film --- did his darkroom thing --- made it all into a GREAT movie, complete with sound, etc. in the days before digital. Grumman thought it was so great, they bought all rights to it and used it as a Grumman, Vietnam time frame promo "movie".

Carrier ops, day, night, CUBI, Yankee, ALPHA strike, AAA bursts, hot/active SAM shots, losing the XO of VA-195 while on a stike, BDA, the whole 9 yards. Called it "The Summer of '72" .... a play on words ... and on the Hollywood movie. He used that movie theme for the background opening/closing scenes ... good stuff --- mood stuff.

Fred's in this picture ... taken on the CUBI Fleet ramp, summer '72 (what else?). Six of the guys in this picture are no longer with us. Fred died early from cancer. A good man. RIP, Brother ....

http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://www.imageshack.us/

gyrene

Marine SNA
down in Kingsville the wives are heading out tomorrow to the NOG to give us some roger balls and take some video footage.

fly, when are the white tails heading over to Cecil?
we're headed over in two groups. the first group is hook down tuesday with the second going out hook down on thursday.
31 students total, it's a huge class.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gyrene said:
fly, when are the white tails heading over to Cecil?

We're all trunking jets out there on Sunday. Bounce at Whitehouse on Monday. Hookdown Tuesday and Wednesday.

the first group is hook down tuesday

Oh god save us... 16 from Meridian, 31 from Kingsville. Tuesday will be a busy day at the boat!

NavyLonghorn

A4's, I used to bounce at the NOG in my C12, and they had FCLP there quite often, it looked similar, and I wasnt sure where Navy flew, thats why I asked.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NavyVance said:
A4's, I used to bounce at the NOG in my C12, and they had FCLP there quite often, it looked similar, and I wasnt sure where Navy flew, thats why I asked.

Sorry ... no excuses.

I will, however, still accept your offer of a beer when in the Territory .... :icon_rast

NavyLonghorn

Oh, and I was gonna be slightly annoyed too. Cause poor little aux-fieldless VT-35 gets booted the hell outa the NOG whenever the 45's show up.