• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs. Air Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

KState_Poke22

You guys have probably heard this a hundred times before but here it goes again, sorry...

I'm in between my freshman and sophomore years at Oklahoma State and am doing AFROTC next year but I'm considering doing the BDCP. Either way I want to fly. I was just curious about some of the less than obvious differences (flight school, selection process, lifestyle etc...) between AFROTC/flying for the Air Force and doing the BDCP/flying for the Navy.

Also, what kind of grades, test scores, and activities in college will I need to get selected as a pilot through BDCP?

I appreciate any feedback you guys have to offer.

jride200

Also, what kind of grades, test scores, and activities in college will I need to get selected as a pilot through BDCP?

The Navy is a bunch of drunken sailors, even the pilots; positive grades, test scores, and activities are not required. (Heavy sarcasm) Lets not beat around the bush, you want to know if it is easier to get a flight spot in the Navy, right?

Please consider the CULTURAL DIFFERENCES, as these outweigh all others.

And please use the search function first.

KState_Poke22

The Navy is a bunch of drunken sailors, even the pilots; positive grades, test scores, and activities are not required. (Heavy sarcasm) Lets not beat around the bush, you want to know if it is easier to get a flight spot in the Navy, right?

Please consider the CULTURAL DIFFERENCES, as these outweigh all others.

And please use the search function first.

Thanks, way to be an a-hole about it. I'm actually trying not to let the ease of getting a pilot spot affect my decision about which service to enter, which is why I asked about the other things. It doesn't necassarily matter which is easier because I'll work as hard as I have to or harder regardless of the difficulty.

And about the search, I didn't really see anything that had difference between Navy and Air Force.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks, way to be an a-hole about it. I'm actually trying not to let the ease of getting a pilot spot affect my decision about which service to enter, which is why I asked about the other things. It doesn't necassarily matter which is easier because I'll work as hard as I have to or harder regardless of the difficulty.

And about the search, I didn't really see anything that had difference between Navy and Air Force.

Dude, it took all of 20 secs to find a ton of threads on the Navy versus Air Force. Here's one that's even titled "Navy vs Air Force"

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136614&highlight=navy+vs+force

Anyways, if you want to be successful in Naval Aviation, you'll need to grow a lot thicker skin, what jride said wasn't sh!t to what you'll catch in a squadron.

KState_Poke22

Thanks insane, finally someone who's relatively courteous in this thing. There's a big difference between being in the Navy and posting on a message board.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thanks insane, finally someone who's relatively courteous in this thing.
If what has been posted so far hurt your little feelings, then I can tell you right now the Navy is not for you.

There's a big difference between being in the Navy and posting on a message board.
WTF does this mean? That you are too lazy to do what was suggested and try the search function? Being in the Navy magically makes that button work?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Thanks insane, finally someone who's relatively courteous in this thing. There's a big difference between being in the Navy and posting on a message board.

Realize that while this is a message board, former/current Officers and recruiters frequent this site. For many of us, the rules in the fleet regarding how we address our superiors still hold true here. Also, as with any message board, there is a culture that as a new user you need to consider. Here, we enjoy a laugh here and there when one of us does something erroneous. As we speak, I'm sure someone is carefully gleaning my post for a spelling/grammar error to get under my skin. With that said, please be more cautious of how you address the users here and get a grasp of this board's culture if you want help. It is give and take man.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Realize that while this is a message board, former/current Officers and recruiters frequent this site. For many of us, the rules in the fleet regarding how we address our superiors still hold true here. Also, as with any message board, there is a culture that as a new user you need to consider. Here, we enjoy a laugh here and there when one of us does something erroneous. As we speak, I'm sure someone is carefully gleaning my post for a spelling/grammar error to get under my skin. With that said, please be more cautious of how you address the users here and get a grasp of this board's culture if you want help. It is give and take man.

Just for that you get negative rep........;)

KState_Poke22

First, I actually didn't see the search button, its the first time I've been to this site.

Second, tiz, I wasn't exactly in everyone's favor before I said that because it was my first time here and I'm expected to know everything about it.

Third, Burton, I'm not too sure what you mean...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You guys have probably heard this a hundred times before but here it goes again, sorry...
This is the key point. We have heard it a hundred times and we've answered it a hundred times. We get tired of answering the same question over and over because a new guy want instantaneous gratification instead of doing a little research.

First, I actually didn't see the search button, its the first time I've been to this site.
When you join any site like this the first thing you should do is spend a fair amount of time reading the site. If you have any questions, try the search function. Try your question in 5 or 6 different forms to insure that the right key words get searched. Then after you have done your homework, ask a question if you did not find the answer. It's called common sense.

.....favor before I said that because it was my first time here and I'm expected to know everything about it.
It's called self-help and initiative. These are qualities officers are supposed to have. If you want things spoon fed to you without effort on your part, you shouldn't be an officer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll work as hard as I have to or harder regardless of the difficulty.

I'm just wondering why you would choose to do this. This seems very blackshoe. Smiles in effect.

Rasczak

Marine
what is it with these posts? Instead of asking AF vs Navy,
search and look up "Life in the Navy" and then go to an AF board and search "life in the AF".

Status
Not open for further replies.