• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs Air Force

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I will cut some slack here. I had Ooh-rah coming out my ears in high school. Just temper it all with a little realism. It isn't all gun kills on MiG-25s. Being in the military is a little like being a cop. A lot of paperwork in between hooking up bad guys. Only a few get to chase the perp accross the crowded city square. To paraphrase "So I Married an Axe Murderer," not so much Serpico, more Fish from Barney Miller. The military has some great things, but if you think it will be a living video game, you'll be in for a shock.

G

GunsVF-103

Originally posted by av8tor
I know everyone has a fantasy life, mine is to party like a rock star, but after reading your bio your starting to scare me.

well, If I've managed to scare ppl, then I feel I have accomplished my Daily Objective....lol

Originally posted by phrogdriver
I will cut some slack here. I had Ooh-rah coming out my ears in high school. Just temper it all with a little realism. It isn't all gun kills on MiG-25s. Being in the military is a little like being a cop. A lot of paperwork in between hooking up bad guys. Only a few get to chase the perp accross the crowded city square. To paraphrase "So I Married an Axe Murderer," not so much Serpico, more Fish from Barney Miller. The military has some great things, but if you think it will be a living video game, you'll be in for a shock.

You can tell phrogdrivers one of the old dudes here when you realize you have no idea who the F those guys he mentioned are.
Or maybe I've just been living under a rock?
Merry Christmas all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
"So I Married an Axe Murder?" Come one...Mike Myers...."Head, doun, now!" Sheesh. Don't worry, you'll catch up on your movies during cruise.
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, and what's the planned date for the first operational VF-1 squadron? 2020? What's gonna be the minimum NSS cutoff for robot fighters?

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ Well you'd also have to factor in the transforming robot variable when calculating your score. I mean, sure you can fly but can you make your robot (in human form) moonwalk? Clearly Mr. "Guns" has a distinct advantage over us all...we might as well give up and go home, I mean, just look at that website.

USMC1371

Good Lord, that is about the cheesiest thing I have ever read. I especially love the part where a complete airframe had to be overhauled at Top Gun because his majesty Martinez stressed it too much. Oh and congrats on saving the Kitty Hawk from the Chinese, if the Silver Star, DFC, and Navy Cross weren't enough for you, I'll be glad to buy you a drink.

x-wing

about guns......no comment

Soo what would you guys say too someone saying

"if you want too fly, join the air force after all it is the "AIR" force"
they do have a point......
I like the idea of landing on an aircraft carrier but the air force sounds prett ygood too

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Autobots or Destructicons?

You guys forgot the part of your score that included changing 6 planes into one huge robot. Team concept.

On a similiar note I hear that motorpool and combat engineers will now have to master combining 6 pieces of construction equipment into one large robot.

This just in...Optimus Prime has replaced Gen. Richard Meyers as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ Decepticons...close though. And it will be neither for as we all know, Voltron was the founder of the robot-made-of-multiple-smaller-yet-equally-kick-ass-robots combat theory.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
To back up to x-wing's last post I'd say that the USAF generally doesn't offers as good a chance of getting a flight slot. The USAF is right for some people. It does have a lot of plusses, mostly as far as quality of life, e.g. housing, food, etc. It also is missing a lot of what makes the Marines and Navy special. You just have to educate yourself to find the right answer for you.

C130_girl

C130 girl
Got a question for the aviators. Why did you choose to apply to the Navy and not the Air Force? I've wanted to fly for the Air Force since I enlisted and I've only looked into the AF until recently. Now that I've done more research I realized that it really doesn't matter who I fly for... both are amazing branches with awesome planes, but the Navy is more relaxed with PRK. So PRK was my reason and I was wondering what everyone else's reasons were for picking the Navy.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
both are amazing branches with awesome planes

I'll debate that one on any day of the week. But I chose the Navy because I was originally going to be an NFO. I thought that a job as a FO would be much more rewarding than a Nav on a big Air Force jet (or Herc or ...). Now that I've dealt a lot with both services, I would say that the Navy produces better free-thinkers (or should I say flexible-thinkers) thanks to the culture differences between the two. Whereas the USAF has a policy in order to make sure they have a policy, the Navy tends to have a policy only when necessary (can only speak for the tailhook aviation side). Even in dealing with that policy, it seems that in the Navy the mission comes first; not the policy. In my own squadron, I would say that we go even further when the Skipper flat out said that our SOP was more of a guideline for shore stuff rather than really applying to our deployments.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Two reasons:
1) As an NFO, I knew that WSO's are 3rd class (at best) citizens in the AF.
2) Singapore...enuff said.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I'm only a student... but I went Navy because my dad was in the Navy and they offered me the ROTC scholarship. I don't think I even applied for the Air Force. I didn't decide aviation was for me until after I'd already done a year of NROTC.

Predictions for this thread:

1. Someone will post the Bob Norris letter.
2. Various rants on Air Farce being lame, not as fun, not as hardcore, etc
3. Some sort of dig on their priorities about QOL and such
4. Random "don't leave out the Marines" comments.