• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs AF

Status
Not open for further replies.

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
My last ANAV instructor was a C-141 driver with exceptional military bearing and in the opinion of a bright eyed, know jack-sh*t ensign, a top-notch pilot. On the other hand, I hated to fly with him. I could grease the brief, look damn good getting into the air, pop an unexpected and prieviously unbriefed approach, and get little more than a nod; same scenario if I was over my time estimates and channeling the "force" to determine the winds. While I never worried about getting a hunk of butt taken out, I had a hard time figuring out if I was improving, sucking or having an outta body experience. I truly liked getting Marine or hard core Navy guys because they would let you now real quick how little you prepared for this hop. The sheer fear of facing a snarling, K-bar toting Captain, or prior BT, "Frog" LT made me feel like the Red Baron himself if I managed not to pink the flight.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
bch said:
Something else to think about. Where do you think you are going to get the most leadership training, AFROTC or BDCP? BDCP has no real involvement in your leadership development prior to OCS. And I am sorry to say it, but in 13 weeks,you are not going to learn as much about the navy and how it works and how you should work in the navy, but in ROTC you will.

That's BS. OCS does a fine job of teaching officers what they need to know. If you think ROTC is better just because they stretch it over 4 years of agony, then so be it. I know who gets the most CASH MONEY! :p

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
You young pups don't remember this but about 9-10 years ago, we were getting issued flight suits out of AF stocks. Big leg pocket so your cover didn't stick out, zippers on the sides for that quick package check and sewn-in creases. We all just kept patching our old Navy ones until the supply sytem caught up.

Rumor was that Gen McPeak's (AF Chief of Staff) wife was the driving force behind these "sharp" bags.

And remember, if at an AF O'Club and you feel that you really need a scarf, toilet paper works 4.0 as a substitute.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
yeah, general's wives to tend to screw things up... have you seen the AF's dress uniform lately? it's atrocious...

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Good thing they starch their flightsuits and really shine their boots. Starch sure does add to the fireproofness of the nomex and to the comfort! What was I thinking not doing this from the getgo?! And boot polish, however cool it looks when you're showing off for the Skipper will burn and burn given the right temps. "He burned to death in his cockpit, but by God, he looked sharp!" Great job realizing what matters in the air. Oh, and PT gear?! I haven't met one AF guy that PT's or works out or whatever they call it. Our flight schedule even mandates that AF STUDS/IPS get at least 1 hour of PT a day "if their schedule permits it." The AF guys must really be flying ALL the time. No sweaty time costume for them! Yay for UNSATness!

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
JG5343,

Strongly stated, but true...not that I'm a statistical expert on the subject, but I went to USNA ( and proud of it), had buddies from ROTC, OCS that could in short...kick a@#! I don't think it matters much where you get the nod, in fact, from what I saw in myself, being a four year "veteran" (he he) only served to make me ask the question, "How much longer is this going to go on?" Instead of being fresh out of OCS, both guns blazing, I had a false sense of "knowledge" that probably made me sound like the biggest dilbert to hit the pavement. Besides, ( and hopefully my Boat School bros won't hate me forever...) a guy who had a life in college, paid bills, worked part time jobs, rented apartments has gotta have a stronger sense of reality than some dude whose had someone doing his laundry for four years.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
Blacky start posting when you know something other than the academy. How about the Navy tradition of having your suit sleeves rolled up and then slid up the arms. Along with having their main zipper undone halfway down your chest, and to top it off, scuffed up boots. Call me crazy but I think that would be more of a burn hazard than our boots catching on fire from too much shine. Give me a break dude. Apparently its Navy tradition to look like sh*t in your flightsuit.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Future Herc Driver said:
Blacky start posting when you know something other than the academy. How about the Navy tradition of having your suit sleeves rolled up and then slid up the arms. Along with having their main zipper undone halfway down your chest, and to top it off, scuffed up boots. Call me crazy but I think that would be more of a burn hazard than our boots catching on fire from too much shine. Give me a break dude. Apparently its Navy tradition to look like sh*t in your flightsuit.

i'd love to see a picture of you with the Benny Hill theme song in the background.

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
Never been in a fire, but I'm guessing at least 60% of the time it wouldn't matter much either way. Besides, one of the best DH's I ever saw was a guy who looked like a stevedore half the time, one of the sharpest looking DIVO's I ever saw rarely left his stateroom. being dishevelled as principle, not practice isn't very professional, but then again, clothes never make the man..he he

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
airpirate25 said:
Never been in a fire, but I'm guessing at least 60% of the time it wouldn't matter much either way. Besides, one of the best DH's I ever saw was a guy who looked like a stevedore half the time, one of the sharpest looking DIVO's I ever saw rarely left his stateroom. being dishevelled as principle, not practice isn't very professional, but then again, clothes never make the man..he he

Actually, Nomex works pretty well for short term exposure to fires.

Knew one guy (former B/N, Flash may know him) who was in a flight deck fire. Hot pumping with canopy open, fuel hose broke. Bad burns to his face and and fingers where his gloves had the tips cut off. Other than that not that bad.

Knew a RIO who jumped out of a Tomcat that exploded. (That thread is around here somewhere) who had burns where his sleeves where rolled up but OK otherwise.

I may roll up my sleeves around the squadron but always flew with them rolled down and gloves on. I was the B/N in this and despite the fact that we never had flames in the cockpit, it definitely reinforced my habit pattern.

a6500.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I knew the guy who got burned. Pretty cool guy, just a little disconcerting looking at his face.

As for the Air Force vs Navy bit, I have had more than enough experience with our sister service. My boss right now is an AF Lt Col (not LCOL or LTC, and they actually make that distinction in the five sided madhouse I am in) and I have 3 more stting within 25 feet, and a newly promoted Col to go with them. While some of our AF brethren do stupid stuff like iron their flight suits and put creases in them and then show up to the club and try and pick up the new Lt Intel O who needs Jenny Craig, almost all of the guys I flew with in EA-6's were SH. Including the Major who had been in 24 years and had flown T-33's, RF-4's, F-16's, F-4's and MQ-1's (anyone care to guess?). They laughed at our disorganization and we at their scarves and rules, then we got drunk and passed out.

Every time I deal with those guys though, I am glad I am in the Navy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
ALWAYS look for the adam's apple, "man hands", hairy knuckles, 5 o'clock shadow, and do a package check.

Not that I've ever been somewhere that somethign like that would be required... :devil_125

Air Force guys also iron their flightsuits...

In addition to being briefed to flee the scene of any accident even if you were in the back seat of a cab, because they would make you pay for it. The Gunny who welcomed us to Thailand also told us to look for that little bump in the throat and do a package check "the best looking babes in the bar are dudes". I took that advice to heart, especially the package checks.....and the girls really did not seem to mind, "you like me sailor?"........... uhhhhh, yeah ;)

Clux4

Banned
Flash said:
In addition to being briefed to flee the scene of any accident even if you were in the back seat of a cab, because they would make you pay for it. The Gunny who welcomed us to Thailand also told us to look for that little bump in the throat and do a package check "the best looking babes in the bar are dudes". I took that advice to heart, especially the package checks.....and the girls really did not seem to mind, "you like me sailor?"........... uhhhhh, yeah ;)

Not to threadjack, but i know this particularly guy on one of my cruises that picked up a dude on three consequtive nightes. His excuse was, I was drunk men. Everytime he always found out when he was already in the room with them. Pathetic fellow !

Status
Not open for further replies.