• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Starting a new thread to see how much interest there would be for Navy to Marine transition for strike slots or Navy to Marine exchange program. Not many details yet but it might be in the works.....

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
RumorBuster said:
Starting a new thread to see how much interest there would be for Navy to Marine transition for strike slots or Navy to Marine exchange program. Not many details yet but it might be in the works.....

A little birdie told me there's something veryyyyy interesting in the works.......

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please tell me they'd have to go through at least TBS, if not OCS too.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Hmmmm. Definitely not OCS. TBS depends. And that's all I'm gonna say for now.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rumors of this flying through the Cobra RAG as well may be seeing some Ensigns around. I dont believe it yet but we'll see.

megrey06

Kingsville
I'm just in API, but one of the instructors mentioned yesterday that they are looking at lat-transferring 88 Ensigns into the Marine Corps pipeline. One would assume that they would have to go to TBS, but we all know what assuming get's you. Anyway, just the latest that I've heard.

-Matt

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a female Ensign in primary who went helos and then went to TBS, now flies for USMC.

Chubby

Any gouge on when they might be trying to transfer these guys/gals over (time wise), and at what stage of flight school they will be at? What committments they will incur, etc.? Thanks.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
RB,

I think that a Exchange Program/Tour would be the way to go. We do exchange tours with the AF as well as PEP Tours with Numerous countries. I dont understand why the Navy and Marines dont do this. If the Corps is hurting for strike guys right now, then ease the pain by filling the slots with Navy exchange tour studs. Ease the shortage by letting some of us Navy types do a tour or two with Marine squadrons. Its feast or famine and I'm aware the Navy has excess pilots around right now while the Marines need pilots. Exchange tours would be the way to go. Transfering Navy guys to the Corps would take more time and money. New uniforms, TBS, etc, etc. With exchange tours the Marines could get guys right away and the Navy would alleviate a backup in the pipelines.

thumper

I think that is an interesting idea (I think TBS should be mandatory, though). Would helos be involved as well, I wonder?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be very interested to hear details of what they're planning, but right now methinks I need to worry more about getting jet grades than what I'd do if I got them . . .

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I'm an api stud now too, and, provided I have the grades, would be 100% interested in doing whatever I could to get a strike slot.

Would I still be a navy type, a la fleet marine force guys wearing marine uniforms, or would I do an inter-service transfer? I would love to hear more info.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Word is that a number of navy strike guys will be offered an interservice transfer, AND F/A-18s. They will be Marine Lts--TBS TBD. Navy helo students will have cobras and Marine 53s on their selection cards. Some will seek greatness, but others will have greatness thrust upon them, i.e. some will volunteer, others will be in for a big surprise. The helo bubbas will remain squid ENSs and JGs, and return to the Navy in 4 years.

The Navy has too many students and the Marines too few--somebody decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Our long-term supply of rocks is also TBD. We have some many fingers in so many dikes we're going to have to start using our toes.

This is supposed to happen soon, as in the next few months.

reapergm

So what does that mean for people like me who are applying for air slots? I dont like the idea at all? Why would they need Navy guys to switch over? If they are low on spots, I know TONS of new Marine Lts, and applicants who would kill for a strike spot. Does that kill the chances for someone like me in getting selected into OCS under an Air contract? And if I get in...will I be steered towards helos or other aircraft b/c Navy pilots are in 18s?
I understand that we are sending troops over left and right to Iraq. If we need more strike...we need more strike and thats that. So I can totally understand then using Navy if they have pilots to give. It means more support for troops. Thats a good thing. But my OSO told me that they have a record # of qualified applicants, so is it time frame?
I agree with Squeeze though. I will be mad if I go through all the Marine training to be a Marine if the transfers are immediately given the title. They need to atleast do TBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.