• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Surface Warfare Officer?

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
In all honesty, every designator is going to have its pros and cons. At the end of the day, I'd take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt and make the SWO experience yours. Don't go into with a tainted perspective as a result of the opinions of others. That's a pretty surefire way to end up miserable, IMO.

JWL

What do you like about being a SWO DH? The command opportunity?

Also, is it safe to assume that SWOs travel more than most other military communities?

LetsFly

The service commitment for SWOs is about half of what it is for pilots - at least out of USNA. When you think about signing a minimum of 10 years of your youth away that becomes a significant factor for a lot of folks.

Python

pilot
Contributor
The service commitment for SWOs is about half of what it is for pilots - at least out of USNA. When you think about signing a minimum of 10 years of your youth away that becomes a significant factor for a lot of folks.

I can't think of a better way to spend my 20s.

desertflyer

I don't understand why so many communities bash each other. I'm sure it's just good fun in the Navy, but from the outside looking in, it honestly kills the Navy's ability to attract talented individuals do to jobs that need to be done. I see people bashing on SWOs and NFOs all day long in here, and it does play a factor in whether people decide to join the Navy. Even as a pilot you need good SWOs and NFOs, so why does everyone constantly bash them and the profession? If you don't believe it makes a difference, just take a look at the current state of the Navy. Short on pilots, short on NFOs, a 40% attrition rate in flight school, and ships crashing into merchant ships. Maybe if everyone talked about the benefits of being a Naval Officer, rather than just ragging on every other community, the Navy could attract more individuals to apply and ultimately increase the quality of officers all around.

Just my .02 cents, I feel it needs to be said.

Last edited:

Python

pilot
Contributor
I don't understand why so many communities bash each other. I'm sure it's just good fun in the Navy, but from the outside looking in, it honestly kills the Navy's ability to attract talented individuals do to jobs that need to be done. I see people bashing on SWOs and NFOs all day long in here, and it does play a factor in whether people decide to join the Navy. Even as a pilot you need good SWOs and NFOs, so why does everyone constantly bash them and the profession? If you don't believe it makes a difference, just take a look at the current state of the Navy. Short on pilots, short on NFOs, a 40% attrition rate in flight school, and ships crashing into merchant ships. Maybe if everyone talked about the benefits of being a Naval Officer, rather than just ragging on every other community, the Navy could attract more individuals to apply and ultimately increase the quality of officers all around.

I'm not sure if you've been seeing the OCS threads, but there are still vastly more applicants than available spots. Retention might be an issue, but accession definitely is not an issue. Plenty of talented people are attracted to this job and apply.

I promise, ships crashing into each other has nothing to do with the communities giving each other shit. It's all in good fun and just like many stereotypes in life, theres always a little truth built in.

desertflyer

I'm not sure if you've been seeing the OCS threads, but there are still vastly more applicants than available spots. Retention might be an issue, but accession definitely is not an issue. Plenty of talented people are attracted to this job and apply.

I promise, ships crashing into each other has nothing to do with the communities giving each other shit. It's all in good fun and just like many stereotypes in life, theres always a little truth built in.

I've seen the threads where the Navy is accepting 60-90% of applicants. Isn't it usually more competitive?

Last edited:

croakerfish

pilot

If shit-talking is enough to turn you away, this isn't your line of work anyway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
a 40% attrition rate in flight school,

Hardly.

The Navy, and specifically the officer corps, is a group of professionals doing professional work. Some communities take that a little more seriously in maintaining some standard than others. Shit talking is one tool used to enforce that standard before things get more formal.

If you've seen the shenanigans that the Surface Community has executed first hand over the years, and specifically those that have put aviators in harm's way, you'd understand why we poke at them. The far more depressing part is when you're actually on the ship and you give them shit and they don't even realize the gravity of the shit-giving.

If shit-talking is enough to turn you away, this isn't your line of work anyway.

As croakerfish said, the Navy is a team sport, so it's not going to be hand-holding and hugs 24 hours a day. If I'm bringing up the rear of whatever evolution that's being conducted, I WANT someone to tell me, and not just get a pat on the butt and a "good job."