• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Surface Warfare Officer?

Michael Martinez

I know this is an aviation site, but I'm really just trying to figure myself out. I see alot of experienced and wise veterans who went through similar situations on this forum, so I'm just seeking guidance.

what is The typical assignment for an incoming SWO?

I know that the needs of the Navy will always ovrerrule preference, however once officers start progressing do they have more say in their field?

and lastly, do Jr. SWOS usually need a TS right away, or is that more of a senior thing? I know special assignments require special information, but are they common?

I'm a HS Junior

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When and if you ever need one, the Navy will make sure you get one. It's not something you need before hand or something that will make you more competitive...focus your initiative towards more fruitful ventures and let this one go.

ben4prez

pilot
I'm not, I just don't know where to get one and I might miss the scholarship deadline. I'm kind of confused
I'm happy to link you up with peers who are SWOs -- not many to be found on this site, but I can get you in touch with some junior people who may be able to answer your questions.

confusion is a part of growing up -- believe me, I was there once. during NRTOC freshman orientation, the seniors asked what I wanted to do in the Navy. I told them I wanted to fly F-22s. Whoops...

Anyway, happy to help -- please send me a private message with your email address and I will get you in touch with the right people.

ben4prez

pilot
When and if you ever need one, the Navy will make sure you get one. It's not something you need before hand or something that will make you more competitive...focus your initiative towards more fruitful ventures and let this one go.

I wonder what would happen if instead of rolling in hot on aspiring naval officers, we mentored them instead...a little kindness goes a long way. perhaps give him guidance on finding more "fruitful ventures" rather than dismissing his aspirations out of hand.

just a thought.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I'm happy to link you up with peers who are SWOs -- not many to be found on this site, but I can get you in touch with some junior people who may be able to answer your questions..

I can also help with this. PenguinGuy (the husband) is a SWO junior officer. He is a ROTC grad who went SWO. We also have friends here who commissioned SWO from the USNA and OCS. Between all these people, most of your questions could find an answer.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder what would happen if instead of rolling in hot on aspiring naval officers, we mentored them instead...a little kindness goes a long way. perhaps give him guidance on finding more "fruitful ventures" rather than dismissing his aspirations out of hand.

just a thought.

Multiple questions on security clearances raised some hairs. I think this kid is asking because he legitimately doesn't know/understand the process, which is fine, but we've seen here in the past people who talk about this a lot generally have…..issues…..

azguy

None
SWO LT here. I've got to say man, your question is very vague. As a new SWO, you will be a Division Officer on a ship for your first four years...on two different ships. Upon reporting aboard, you will learn to drive the ship, fight the ship, and lead a division of Sailors.

I've had a great time as a SWO. Tons of experience to be had- not that we get more responsibility, we just get it a lot sooner than anyone else. I had the keys to 100+ long range missiles as a LTJG with 3 years in the Navy.

Feel free to PM me, but if you have general questions, ask in the open so we can answer them for guys in your shoes in the future.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep.

OP- if you want a TS, keep your nose clean. You need a poly to take a poly to get the "good stuff."
I'm not sure what "good stuff" you're referring to, but taking a polygraph is very, very rare - even for the esoteric special read in programs. YMMV, but if you're suggesting that a polygraph is required for TS or anything most people can expect to work with, then that's bad gouge.

azguy

None
I'm not sure what "good stuff" you're referring to, but taking a polygraph is very, very rare - even for the esoteric special read in programs. YMMV, but if you're suggesting that a polygraph is required for TS or anything most people can expect to work with, then that's bad gouge.

That was mostly a tongue-in-cheek jab at a guy who is posting repeatedly about clearance stuff. I agree with you that your normal fleet dude isn't doing a sweat test. Didn't mean to out out bad gouge.

I won't comment in here on what types of programs and commands may or may not require a poly for obvious reasons, happy to go into a bit more detail via PM. I'll generally ask you to consider whether current policies will change given recent events, might make my comment seem less crazy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We went to a more robust poly initiative after the Walkers' shenanigans. It didn't last long.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We went to a more robust poly initiative after the Walkers' shenanigans. It didn't last long.

It has become more robust again after Snowden along with a few other security intiatives.

If you are in the miltiary you won't have to worry about a poly unless you end up at a three-letter agency or end up in some special jobs. Unless you are a spy (but even plenty of them have beaten polys), like to blab to the press about secrets or molest little kids then you won't have much to worry about.