• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Surface Warfare Officer?

JWL

Really? All I read was the challenges. How do these guys have time to sleep and study for their qualifications?

Is it this bad with aviation and subs?

So, do people go SWO because they can't get other communities?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Is it this bad with subs?
We switched from a 6 on, 12 off schedule to an 8 on, 16 off schedule. It is infinitely better, but did require some concessions to get there and some boats still utilize the 6/18 schedule for inspection workups.

I will throw the BS flag though on the article's claim that the ship couldn't train because it was underway too much. The opposite is true - it's harder to build and maintain operational proficiency in port.

But bad things can and have happened to boats that were well trained and high performers. That is something to consider before claiming that the entire training/certification process needs an overhaul.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
We switched from a 6 on, 12 off schedule to an 8 on, 16 off schedule

Happy guys. Newcomers (officers) in Russian navy (SWO) always have 6/6 up to LtCdr (DH's deputy) and then, after happy days as DHs (usually 4/8 or even 4/16 on the cruisers as OOD) , there is so-called "command watch" which CO and XO share, 12/12, on the bridge with short breaks for meals and admin duty (usually one hour out of that 12). Not appliable to submarines, where always 4/8 for all officers , period (even command watch is divided between O-6 CO, O-5 XO and O-4 1st deputy XO) . In Russian navy you are lucky to be assigned to a submarine service.
As an SWO, I personally felt asleep standing still for one and a half initial years as a DivO. It is wonder that I've not brought about any collision or grounding, mostly due to the CO's or XO's attention.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Upsides:
  1. Serve your country in uniform as a naval officer (if not qualified/competitive for other officer programs)
  2. All the usual GI bill, BAH income, steady paycheck in shaky job market, potentially free grad school, etc. perks that go with being a military officer (if your alternative is not joining the military)
  3. Unique "small" boat leadership opportunities with a PCRON, RIVRON, or being VBSS team lead from CRUDES
  4. URL warfare pin. It can be "useful" if you later redes to a Restricted Line or Staff Corps designator. There is a certain amount of respect or cachet that goes with having been an "operator" vs. doing a support function, though this concept differs slightly across the armed services. It does not diminish the contributions of RL or Staff Corps officers. But it is a real thing. The USAF top brass are almost all command rated pilots. You don't see many USN 4-stars without a URL warfare pin. Intel seems to be the exception if they go on to lead a 3-letter agency.
  5. 100% of SWO's get ships.

Last edited:

JWL

Perceived snarky upside from a former aviator. But as a former aviator I don't see many upsides to SWO.
LOL..got ya. And, from reading this article, assuming it is generally accurate, there does not appear to be much in the way of upsides.

JWL

Upsides:
  1. Serve your country in uniform as a naval officer (if not qualified/competitive for other officer programs)
  2. All the usual GI bill, BAH income, steady paycheck in shaky job market, potentially free grad school, etc. perks that go with being a military officer (if your alternative is not joining the military)
  3. Unique "small" boat leadership opportunities with a PCRON, RIVRON, or being VBSS team lead from CRUDES
  4. URL warfare pin. It can be "useful" if you later redes to a Restricted Line or Staff Corps designator. There is a certain amount of respect or cachet that goes with having been an "operator" vs. doing a support function, though this concept differs slightly across the armed services. It does not diminish the contributions of RL or Staff Corps officers. But it is a real thing. The USAF top brass are almost all command rated pilots. You don't see many USN 4-stars without a URL warfare pin. Intel seems to be the exception if they go on to lead a 3-letter agency.
  5. 100% of SWO's get ships.
Thanks..as for point 5, do you mean all SWOs eventually get a command if they stay long enough, work hard, and keep their noses clean?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thanks..as for point 5, do you mean all SWOs eventually get a command if they stay long enough, work hard, and keep their noses clean?
No, I meant you would be assigned to a ship. Play on words with the SNA applicants here who ask what % get to fly jets vs. flying helos.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
1. Not unique to SWO...oh wait, "if not qualified for anything else."
2. Not unique to SWO.
3. These 'opportunities' are off the 'due course' track for a SWO, and not guaranteed even if you ask for them.
4. What percent of SWOs get Admiral?
5. Sarcastic quip to round off your top 5...

Your post doesn't make a very compelling argument to go SWO.

azguy

None
I have friends that are NFOs, helo/MPRA pilots, intel officers, IPs, and a few other cats and dogs. Some of them love their jobs, some don't, but there's no way on earth I'd want to be stuck doing any of those jobs instead of being a SWO DH. But at the end of the day, if you don't think you'd enjoy being a SWO, don't be a SWO...