• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserve COVID Vaccinations by October

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I know it isn't the PCR or whatever, but just go to Walgreens and get a couple boxes of those antibody tests. It's like $22 for a box of two. Maybe things are different elsewhere, but the one in Oak Harbor has them practically spilling out the front door (at least it did last month).
I think this is localized. When I was in NC after Christmas not a test to be found. When we got home (MD) same thing. Store websites said closest available rapid test was in VA. Local hospital is using the National Guard to run their walk-up testing, wife went and it was a several hours long wait, in the cold, to get a PCR test. Heard from colleagues at work that hospitals in other counties are seeing people line up hours before testing starts and then the hospital is running out of tests before lunch. Nuts

Things have changed a lot in the last few weeks. No tests to be found at any local pharmacy in CA, and long lines and far off appointments for testing sites.

In mid December, I could pop in to our county site and get right in.

exNavyOffRec

Things have changed a lot in the last few weeks. No tests to be found at any local pharmacy in CA, and long lines and far off appointments for testing sites.

In mid December, I could pop in to our county site and get right in.
There are not test at the pharmacies to be found around me and the sites are backed up.

It took 3 days for my wife and youngest to get their test results mine, and my 2 other kids had the rapid test and they were back in less than an hour.

So far the oldest, my wife and me all have the same symptoms, but they are positive and I am negative, so go figure.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We had dinner with friends at their house maybe early last month (or maybe more like late Nov). One of them tested positive a couple days later. She had mild symptoms when we were there, but nothing more than a few sneezes. Her husband didn't test positive for another week. Neither my wife or I tested positive ever, and we did the rapid tests a few times starting 5-7 days later, since we were getting on a plane to go to a wedding a week after that. Neither of us ever got a sniffle. I guess virus transmission is just a mysterious process which we never really cared to know about before. All of us were in a small dining room, in the middle of winter with no ventilation, having drinks and sitting closely together. I assumed we all had it when my wife got the call, but it wasn't so. Another wrinkle was that she was vaxxed and he wasn't.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does anyone know if the on-base testing (specifically NAS Jax) is for ALL Tricare personnel or just Tricare Prime people? The FB page doesn't specify.

I don't need the use of it now, but I'd rather sit in line there instead of out in town should the need arise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's just an injunction. Zero chance this even gets past a judge on the merits.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure how Navy Times missed this, but the plot thickens. I can't imagine this will stand.

Several other vaccines they have already taken, as required by the military, have the same/similar research/production cell line origins as some of the COVID vaccines and it is a big reason they are denying religious exemptions.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree little chance the courts will reject vax mandates for the military. The courts have always given a great deal of discretion to military leadership.

WRT the religious argument for waiver, legally, the suggestion that previous vaccinations disqualifies one for making a religious appeal is not supported. What matters is what you believe NOW. People can change their minds. In this context one could say have an epiphany or revelation on the subject. ? Others might claim their view evolved. Admittedly, someone can be doubted for their convenient change in religious conviction, but the law would support it. Oh course, the military's religious accommodation is unique.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree little chance the courts will reject vax mandates for the military. The courts have always given a great deal of discretion to military leadership.

WRT the religious argument for waiver, legally, the suggestion that previous vaccinations disqualifies one for making a religious appeal is not supported. What matters is what you believe NOW. People can change their minds. In this context one could say have an epiphany or revelation on the subject. ? Others might claim their view evolved. Admittedly, someone can be doubted for their convenient change in religious conviction, but the law would support it. Oh course, the military's religious accommodation is unique.

A lot like how many folks got religion in boot camp, not so much afterwards (Terminal Lance did a strip on it). Either way I have little sympathy to someone who got religion after receiving at least 9 other vaccines, likely more, required by the military.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if the on-base testing (specifically NAS Jax) is for ALL Tricare personnel or just Tricare Prime people? The FB page doesn't specify.

I don't need the use of it now, but I'd rather sit in line there instead of out in town should the need arise.
My flight doc says it should be, he hasn't heard of anyone getting turned away at least. He says it's definitely available if on orders, but it might be a "bit sticky" if not ?‍♂️

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Either way I have little sympathy to someone who got religion after receiving at least 9 other vaccines, likely more, required by the military.
Some folks might feel the same way about a person born with a penis, still attached at that, and XY chromosomes simply declaring they are really female and expecting society accommodate them. I absolutely believe some of the religious waivers are insincere. Maybe the majority. But some other number are not. They may not have known how previous vaccines were derived. Or their religious views may have changed. If it doesn't matter that a 28 year old born male and living as a male for all that time declares one day they are transgender, and is taken serious by the military and government writ large, then it would be nice if people who declare a change in their religious convictions were given the same courtesy. I understand why the military can chose to not grant religious waivers, but it shouldn't be because they know that every application is insincere or fraudulent. Nor should anyone think that is the case just because the military does not grant them.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
zero religious waivers granted, fwiw.

A key component to the religious waiver is potential operational impact to granting it. I think that is getting lost in the news. Almost all of the religious waivers have been denied on that ground. No one is fighting people over what they do or don't believe, they're saying that COVID outbreaks can weld a strategic asset next to the pier for months on end and we can't have that. If your religious preferences don't allow COVID-19 vaccination then enjoy your honorable discharge.