• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS SWO

Ericwandell

So how "not preferred" are Non-Stem degrees I've received so many different answers from different SWOs I've met in my life. I have a History degree with a 3.3 gpa and a 50 OAR. Applying for SWO a second time. Was wondering if I just need to look at different branches. I'm under the impression that the navy still prefers STEM Majors for SWO
I got a 45 on the OAR, have a 3.43 GPA with a degree in Biblical studies and was selected for SWO. I think it all depends on the board and who is presenting your package.

exNavyOffRec

If you had checked the requirements online, they prefer a strong stem background with courses in Physics and Calculus. However, its not a disqualifier, there will be coursework Math/Phys heavy after OCS, see the attached brochure. It is usually less competitive to get selected for OCS than other designators, I ran out of luck, however, as they denied my vision waiver. For other branches, I know that for Marines and Army OCS the biggest requirement is physical fitness
3 miles in under 24 mins
120 crunches
15 pull-ups
are bare minimums
far as I have checked with their programs. You have a good OAR score, If you really really want to go for SWO then go ahead, othwerwise submit for more than one designators
That brochure is for Nuclear SWO's, not conventional SWO's, the updated SWO PA no longer states a preference on STEM or non STEM degrees.

exNavyOffRec

So how "not preferred" are Non-Stem degrees I've received so many different answers from different SWOs I've met in my life. I have a History degree with a 3.3 gpa and a 50 OAR. Applying for SWO a second time. Was wondering if I just need to look at different branches. I'm under the impression that the navy still prefers STEM Majors for SWO
Here is the new PA there is no longer a preference of STEM.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
That brochure is for Nuclear SWO's, not conventional SWO's, the updated SWO PA no longer states a preference on STEM or non STEM degrees.
What's the timeline for newly commissioned officers?

OCS - Newport, RI
BDOC - San Diego, CA or Norfolk, VA
Posting?

Will we be able to express a preference for BDOC? Such as, I'd rather be in Norfolk than San Diego. Also, when would I be able to move my family? BDOC? Or once I move to my posting?

exNavyOffRec

What's the timeline for newly commissioned officers?

OCS - Newport, RI
BDOC - San Diego, CA or Norfolk, VA
Posting?

Will we be able to express a preference for BDOC? Such as, I'd rather be in Norfolk than San Diego. Also, when would I be able to move my family? BDOC? Or once I move to my posting?

I believe when you get orders that are PCS (permanent change of station) that you can move your family there, the next several months you will need to be flexible, make sure your family knows this.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I believe when you get orders that are PCS (permanent change of station) that you can move your family there, the next several months you will need to be flexible, make sure your family knows this.
What's your opinion on SWO getting a PCS to Norfolk? That's where I'd prefer to end up. Any chance at me influencing that outcome?

allengodbolt

villo0692

I am reading through the new PA for SWO and I am going to need 2 waivers. One for my age (I am about to be 29) and one for my service time (I hit 8 years next month). Are waivers viewed as a negative by the board members? Are my chances significantly lower submitting 2 waivers? Thanks in advance for the insight

I'd say your chances are about

42%

NevarYalnal

I am reading through the new PA for SWO and I am going to need 2 waivers. One for my age (I am about to be 29) and one for my service time (I hit 8 years next month). Are waivers viewed as a negative by the board members? Are my chances significantly lower submitting 2 waivers? Thanks in advance for the insight

it depends, in the past if there are a large amount of applicants at a board the panel has used waivers as a way to quickly thin the herd. but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.