• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS SWO

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
So I did the practice problems that were on the med.navy.mil site. I timed myself for each section, and got a 5/7/6 for math, reading, and mechanical. How would this convert to a number for the OAR score? Do you need more information? Thanks.
Hmm, not a clue, did not come across that resource in my own prep.

It's like @bgoman said above, you really cannot know how your practice tests translate into a score until you take it. I remember being in your shoes, wanting to know what to expect, where to study more, and what I already had down. It's frustrating but I never got those answers either. Just prepare the best you can, have confidence in yourself on test day, trust in the skills and knowledge you've acquired to solve each problem, and let the chips fall.

nightflaw

So I did the practice problems that were on the med.navy.mil site. I timed myself for each section, and got a 5/7/6 for math, reading, and mechanical. How would this convert to a number for the OAR score? Do you need more information? Thanks.
I don't know how those scores would translate, but I would keep hammering away until you can score a perfect. I kept studying until I was able to answer literally every question correctly while timing myself. The trick is to space your studying out enough that you don't start just memorizing specific questions. You want to remember HOW to solve them, not just "oh I remember this question, the answer is C." It helps having multiple study materials to rotate through. I hit the practice questions from the Barron's book one night, Peterson's book the next, online flash cards the next, then circled back and started over. Gave my mind enough time to "forget" specific questions while still remembering the concepts.

Michael Andrew

Good luck! Let us know how you do. Remember to take your time and don't freak out.

So I took the OAR portion of the ASTB this morning. I didn't get a chance to finish the last few questions on the mechanical portion, and I had to speed it up a little on the reading comprehension. I ended up getting a 45 which is considered average for most people, but acceptable according to my recruiter and the man administering the test. My recruiter told me it would be good enough and that we can continue with the application process, which is all that matters to me. I would have liked to have done better on the test but I'll take the 45 as long as my recruiter says it's okay. I've never really excelled at standardized tests anyways, so overall I'm happy with it.

exNavyOffRec

So I took the OAR portion of the ASTB this morning. I didn't get a chance to finish the last few questions on the mechanical portion, and I had to speed it up a little on the reading comprehension. I ended up getting a 45 which is considered average for most people, but acceptable according to my recruiter and the man administering the test. My recruiter told me it would be good enough and that we can continue with the application process, which is all that matters to me. I would have liked to have done better on the test but I'll take the 45 as long as my recruiter says it's okay. I've never really excelled at standardized tests anyways, so overall I'm happy with it.

45 is the minimum to have to apply for SWO, so at least you can give it a shot

Michael Andrew

45 is the minimum to have to apply for SWO, so at least you can give it a shot

What are the minimum OAR requirements for some of the other OCS programs? I'm just asking out of curiosity. I know my score isn't eye popping but I'm hoping some of my other accomplishments (degree's, LOR's, ect) will be able to outshine an average OAR score. I have an Exercise Physiology, and a Philosophy degree from the University of Miami with a 3.1 GPA. UM is a great school and I hope that having a degree from there can possibly outweigh my ASTB score.

exNavyOffRec

What are the minimum OAR requirements for some of the other OCS programs? I'm just asking out of curiosity. I know my score isn't eye popping but I'm hoping some of my other accomplishments (degree's, LOR's, ect) will be able to outshine an average OAR score. I have an Exercise Physiology, and a Philosophy degree from the University of Miami with a 3.1 GPA. UM is a great school and I hope that having a degree from there can possibly outweigh my ASTB score.

you meet the minimum OAR for all programs and your GPA does as well.

Everyone thinks their school is a great school, it really comes down to a few factors including GPA, I had an applicant from an Ivy league school get turned down on first try, he had some non tech degree sociology I believe decent GPA 3.3 or 3.4 but he was a non select, my NRD had others at the same board with lesser stats with tech degrees that were selected, waited 6 months applied again and then was picked up.

I had an english major with a very high GPA from a small school picked up with others weren't and they had tech degrees.

so you see you never know what is going to happen.....

haimehhh

@Michael Andrew I took it first time with fairly limited time to prepare ahead of the test (only OAR) and got a 53. I had been staying sharp with my work– lots of math and analytical stuff– but I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. Later, I found out that I was PQ'd for aviation and i retook the entire test. I took a solid month to prepare– about 2 hours every night, m-f,– and improved my score to 62. I have always been a decent test-taker, but nothing beats preparation. I utilized three different study books and the notes that my buddy who got picked up for SNA a couple weeks before me took in his books. Good luck with your current application, you can always take it again!

Michael Andrew

@Michael Andrew I took it first time with fairly limited time to prepare ahead of the test (only OAR) and got a 53. I had been staying sharp with my work– lots of math and analytical stuff– but I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. Later, I found out that I was PQ'd for aviation and i retook the entire test. I took a solid month to prepare– about 2 hours every night, m-f,– and improved my score to 62. I have always been a decent test-taker, but nothing beats preparation. I utilized three different study books and the notes that my buddy who got picked up for SNA a couple weeks before me took in his books. Good luck with your current application, you can always take it again!

Yeah I know I could retake it, but I'm going to apply anyway and see what happens. 45 isn't something to shoot for, but I don't want to wait 91 days to retake the test, then start the rest of the application process from that point.

haimehhh

@Michael Andrew Absolutely. I wouldn't wait to keep everything rolling along, but things come up and if, for some reason, you can retake it before the rest of your application is finished it could be worthwhile.

Wiz

I studied a few weeks...I want to say no more than a month.
You are smart, I have a STEM background with 3.4 GPA working in IT sector for 3 years with some prestegious companies like One America, Udacity etc. I took an OAR when I applied for Suppo back in 2017 when I graduated college. Didn't get in due to personal issues and tight deadlines I am trying to re submit the packet for SWO once I get MEPS soon. I really hope I get in this time.

Consty123

So how "not preferred" are Non-Stem degrees I've received so many different answers from different SWOs I've met in my life. I have a History degree with a 3.3 gpa and a 50 OAR. Applying for SWO a second time. Was wondering if I just need to look at different branches. I'm under the impression that the navy still prefers STEM Majors for SWO

exNavyOffRec

So how "not preferred" are Non-Stem degrees I've received so many different answers from different SWOs I've met in my life. I have a History degree with a 3.3 gpa and a 50 OAR. Applying for SWO a second time. Was wondering if I just need to look at different branches. I'm under the impression that the navy still prefers STEM Majors for SWO
Don't worry about it, there is what the PA says about degrees and what they actually do at the board, your GPA is more critical and a 3.3 isn't bad but it just depends how many apply and how many spots.

Wiz

If you had checked the requirements online, they prefer a strong stem background with courses in Physics and Calculus. However, its not a disqualifier, there will be coursework Math/Phys heavy after OCS, see the attached brochure. It is usually less competitive to get selected for OCS than other designators, I ran out of luck, however, as they denied my vision waiver. For other branches, I know that for Marines and Army OCS the biggest requirement is physical fitness
3 miles in under 24 mins
120 crunches
15 pull-ups
are bare minimums
far as I have checked with their programs. You have a good OAR score, If you really really want to go for SWO then go ahead, othwerwise submit for more than one designators

Attachments

• swo-brochure_0.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 21