• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS SWO

Michael Andrew

So I'm interested in applying for Navy OCS. I would like to become a Surface Warfare Officer. I ordered some study materials for the ASTB, and I plan on taking the test sometime next month. My first concern is the difficulty of this test. I'm not completely incompetent but standardized tests have always been a weakness of mine. Secondly, how competitive is acceptance for this program and what does the job entail? I graduated from the University of Miami last month where I majored in Exercise Physiology and Philosophy (random I know, but I majored in what I enjoyed). My GPA was a 3.1 overall. My biggest concerns while applying are my ASTB score and my tattoo's, which I discussed in the tattoo thread. My recruiter told me that I would probably need to score a 50 on my ASTB. How difficult is this to achieve? Does having a degree, and a good GPA from a prestigious University mean more than an average, or below average ASTB score? Any feedback would be great!

LadyT

I think the difficulty of the test is subjective. I consider myself relatively smart, but I still studied for the ASTB (and am glad I did) and I would suggest you do the same...especially if you struggle with standardized testing. If nothing else, do some practice questions so that you can find your strengths and weaknesses. There is plenty of gouge about the ASTB.

I would say all the programs are competitive, but compared to say IDC or Supply, I think SWO is an easier program to enter. Of course you still need to have good grades, solid ASTB score, good recommendations and good character to become a SWO (as you will still be a Navy officer)...I do think you can have a lower GPA and/or ASTB score and be a competitive SWO applicant. Also, it is my understanding that SWO has more slots to be filled than some other designations so that will increase your chances.

As far as what SWO entails, I would suggest doing a search on this website. There are a bunch of posts that speak about life as a SWO. Hope this helps.

Michael Andrew

I think the difficulty of the test is subjective. I consider myself relatively smart, but I still studied for the ASTB (and am glad I did) and I would suggest you do the same...especially if you struggle with standardized testing. If nothing else, do some practice questions so that you can find your strengths and weaknesses. There is plenty of gouge about the ASTB.

I would say all the programs are competitive, but compared to say IDC or Supply, I think SWO is an easier program to enter. Of course you still need to have good grades, solid ASTB score, good recommendations and good character to become a SWO (as you will still be a Navy officer)...I do think you can have a lower GPA and/or ASTB score and be a competitive SWO applicant. Also, it is my understanding that SWO has more slots to be filled than some other designations so that will increase your chances.

As far as what SWO entails, I would suggest doing a search on this website. There are a bunch of posts that speak about life as a SWO. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to study for the ASTB. I've done some of the sample questions that I've seen online. I don't find them too overwhelming, but a lot of the math is stuff I haven't done in years. The link below is the study guide I ordered from Barnes and Noble.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ei=KZqQVZqcJoL3-AHQhIHICQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHcQuiQ

My recruiter told me that my OAR scores are what's most important for SWO. From my understanding, this is just the math, reading, and the mechanical portion of the test. The reading portion will probably be where I'm strongest. The math and mechanical is what I'm most concerned about.

Michael Andrew

yeah, not so much, good GPA, good LOR's, and good motivational statement are all going to be more important than the OAR, the OAR is pretty much like your ticket to the dance but it doesn't mean you are leaving with anyone.

I meant OAR was the more important portion of the ASTB for me and what I'm applying for. What's the best way to go about getting LOR's that look most impressive? I don't know of any well known politicians or high ranking military people. Is the motivational statement something I write myself?

swerdna

None
Contributor
Read through the Surface Warfare Officer thread here, there is a lot of good information about being a SWO there.

As for LORs, if you don't know anyone in the military, just use your boss and your professors. See if there are any friends of the family who might be in the military, or ask your friends if they know anyone. Basically, something is better than nothing.

Yes you have to write your own motivational statement. There is an entire thread on it.

exNavyOffRec

I meant OAR was the more important portion of the ASTB for me and what I'm applying for. What's the best way to go about getting LOR's that look most impressive? I don't know of any well known politicians or high ranking military people. Is the motivational statement something I write myself?

The most impressive LOR's are from employers, professors, and people that have seen you "in action", not from politicians or high ranking military officers that don't know you.

Michael Andrew

I shouldn't have any issues getting LOR's from former professors and my current employer. I've been doing practice questions for the ASTB during the past week. I feel really comfortable with the reading comprehension and feel that it is my strongest subject. The math I'm familiar with but most of the material is stuff I haven't done in years. I haven't looked so much into the mechanical section but I plan to soon. How long did you guys study for this test? I know it can obviously vary depending on the individual, but I was just wondering. I think I'm going to schedule a time to take the test in 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
I studied for probably a month or 6 weeks... Part of that was the test server going down on my scheduled date, so I got bumped back a couple weeks. I bought every book I could get my hands on and did all of the practice tests in a timed environment, including those for other services where the question types seemed similar. Felt like I might have nuked it a little but was happy with my 65 in the end.

I took the old form and I know the new adaptive version isn't as sensitive to your timing, but the biggest thing that helped me was not just being FAMILIAR with how to solve the math problems, but practicing them to the point of knowing strategies to solve the most common problem types right at my fingertips. That let me convert word problems to equations without stressing and solve problems faster, so that I wasn't worrying about running out of time. Just my .02.

bgoman

I'm going for SWO in the 16 August class and as someone with a degree in Entrepreneurship and Business Finance from a very small school, I can say that the subject of your degree doesn't matter. Your GPA is just another part of the package as well, but still very important.

I think everyone here has covered everything pretty well, but I would say take the entire ASTB. I wasn't sure what I wanted so I took the whole thing but I'm glad I did because I think (and my OR agrees) that it gives an even more complete picture of the applicant. I got like a 6/5/5 I think, not stellar but good enough with a 59. I studied on and off for a bit and then a few hours a day for no more than a week. The most helpful thing for me though, was just practice problems; over and over and over again, from books, online, etc.

You really won't know (and no one can tell you) until you try. I hated hearing that when I was applying, but it's true. Best of luck.

Also, check this out:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Pages/ASTBOverview.aspx

exNavyOffRec

I'm going for SWO in the 16 August class and as someone with a degree in Entrepreneurship and Business Finance from a very small school, I can say that the subject of your degree doesn't matter. Your GPA is just another part of the package as well, but still very important.

I think everyone here has covered everything pretty well, but I would say take the entire ASTB. I wasn't sure what I wanted so I took the whole thing but I'm glad I did because I think (and my OR agrees) that it gives an even more complete picture of the applicant. I got like a 6/5/5 I think, not stellar but good enough with a 59. I studied on and off for a bit and then a few hours a day for no more than a week. The most helpful thing for me though, was just practice problems; over and over and over again, from books, online, etc.

You really won't know (and no one can tell you) until you try. I hated hearing that when I was applying, but it's true. Best of luck.

Also, check this out:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/Pages/ASTBOverview.aspx

Unless a person is going to attempt to go for aviation and meet the age requirement many NRD's will not let them take the full ASTB, it is a waste of time for that person, especially when there are often many waiting to take the test.

If going for SWO the board doesn't care what your PFAR or FOFAR is, it isn't part of the scoring sheet and cannot be considered, your OR should have paid more attention in OR school

Michael Andrew

I studied for probably a month or 6 weeks... Part of that was the test server going down on my scheduled date, so I got bumped back a couple weeks. I bought every book I could get my hands on and did all of the practice tests in a timed environment, including those for other services where the question types seemed similar. Felt like I might have nuked it a little but was happy with my 65 in the end.

I took the old form and I know the new adaptive version isn't as sensitive to your timing, but the biggest thing that helped me was not just being FAMILIAR with how to solve the math problems, but practicing them to the point of knowing strategies to solve the most common problem types right at my fingertips. That let me convert word problems to equations without stressing and solve problems faster, so that I wasn't worrying about running out of time. Just my .02.

Did you take the entire ASTB?

Michael Andrew

Just the OAR portion.

I was also working full-time so, don't want to make it seem like I did nothing but study for all those weeks. Was more of an evenings/weekends deal.

So I did the practice problems that were on the med.navy.mil site. I timed myself for each section, and got a 5/7/6 for math, reading, and mechanical. How would this convert to a number for the OAR score? Do you need more information? Thanks.