• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy JTACs/FSOs

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I know one Major who's about to do his third AirO tour. Originally an AH-1W guy, did a FAC tour, was not chosen to convert to the AH-1Z, did a TACRON tour, transitioned from AH-1Ws to MV-22s, did not progress at all as an MV-22 pilot, now going to 3d MLR to be their AirO. I won't claim he isn't a good pilot since I never gave him any Xs, but he doesn't really have any options to stay flying at this point.
Against his will? Transitioning (or not transition) has its consequences in all platforms. Every dude I know that has gone FAC from my T/M/S has volunteered to do so. YMMV and transitioning aircraft has its consequences.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Against his will? Transitioning (or not transition) has its consequences in all platforms. Every dude I know that has gone FAC from my T/M/S has volunteered to do so. YMMV and transitioning aircraft has its consequences.
His side of the story is "they" were only taking current/proficient (which he was not due to the first FAC tour) NSIs/WTIs (which he also was not, just a SL/TERF-I) to make the W to Z conversion. Looked into going to the AF Reserve to fly F-16s, then Big Marine Corps dropped the interservice transfer moratorium. The V-22 transition was really the only gig he could swing to stay flying. I'm not gonna say the second and third FAC tour were against his will, but I don't think they were his first choices then or now, either.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Looked into going to the AF Reserve to fly F-16s, then Big Marine Corps dropped the interservice transfer moratorium.

A bit of an aside here, but I Iike to bring it up as much as possible where I see it.
There is a lot of bad gouge out there about this. Yes, the USMC will not sign a conditional release form. That doesn't mean you can't go join the Guard or Reserve to fly something, it just means that you have to separate from the USMC first. I did it. Yes you will have a break in service. I had a 4 month break in service. It was not a big deal at all. I just had to have my pay entry base date moved up 4 months. There was no going back to MEPS or any of that BS they try to scare you with.

Get a flight physical and a NATOPS check on your way out the door (bottles of bourbon and/or scotch really help grease these along) and Bob's your uncle. That hardest part is shaving your beard off when you put your uniform back on for your first day at your new squadron . (And somehow they all shrink when you put them in the closet for a few months).