• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy JTACs/FSOs

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Hey all!

I’ve spoken to a few people on here, thank you for those who have talked to me! I’m dead set on going the pilot route and will be submitting in July. Was stuck between SEAL or Pilot, now I’m dead set on pursuing aviation first. I completed my NSW PFT, scored very high. 98 push up, 23 pull up, 10ish run… so I know I was competitive for SEAL..

With that being said I’ve had the opportunity to speak to some Navy pilots who worked their way into a JTAC spot in the teams or other SOF communities, and if there’s anyone out there with some insight and would like to share their experience shoot away! Or even guys who have been the attachee on the teams as a mini UAV operator.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
These billets are few and far between. There are NGLO battalions that are open to aviators but I'm not sure how career-enhancing they are. Best advice is to focus on getting through OCS and flight school while staying healthy and not getting NPQed. When it comes time to select a shore tour or dissociated sea tour, then see if you can swing a job with SPECWAR.

croakerfish

pilot
Hey all!

I’ve spoken to a few people on here, thank you for those who have talked to me! I’m dead set on going the pilot route and will be submitting in July. Was stuck between SEAL or Pilot, now I’m dead set on pursuing aviation first. I completed my NSW PFT, scored very high. 98 push up, 23 pull up, 10ish run… so I know I was competitive for SEAL..

With that being said I’ve had the opportunity to speak to some Navy pilots who worked their way into a JTAC spot in the teams or other SOF communities, and if there’s anyone out there with some insight and would like to share their experience shoot away! Or even guys who have been the attachee on the teams as a mini UAV operator.
There’s a job with the SRT’s that is usually done by a helo pilot these days. Basically you’re the DIVO for the guys who fly the UAVs. It’s usually a disassociated sea tour and I’d strictly for 24 months.
If you want to do SOF stuff being a Navy pilot is not the way.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
There’s a job with the SRT’s that is usually done by a helo pilot these days. Basically you’re the DIVO for the guys who fly the UAVs. It’s usually a disassociated sea tour and I’d strictly for 24 months.
If you want to do SOF stuff being a Navy pilot is not the way.

I want to be a Navy pilot first. Just looking at my options down the road… was expecting some slander haha
Not looking for slander, looking for options and from those who’ve done it

exNavyOffRec

Hey all!

Those are good scores for the NSW PFT, but not scores that get people selected for SEAL Officer, every person we sent to OCS as a SEAL Officer did over 100 PU, over 100 SU, swim under 9 min, run under 9 min. They also had some pretty high GPA's for their degrees, those guys are ultra selective.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Those are good scores for the NSW PFT, but not scores that get people selected for SEAL Officer, every person we sent to OCS as a SEAL Officer did over 100 PU, over 100 SU, swim under 9 min, run under 9 min. They also had some pretty high GPA's for their degrees, those guys are ultra selective.

I would’ve enlisted! I wasn’t interested in pursuing the officer route. You’re exactly right about that. Most officers were prior swimmers, or rugby guys in college.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I would’ve enlisted! I wasn’t interested in pursuing the officer route. You’re exactly right about that. Most officers were prior swimmers, or rugby guys in college.

I’m now 180lbs at 5’9. I bulked gained a lot of muscle. If I cut down to 165 again I could be in the 9s for the run. Anyways I could’ve gone to SOAS but chose not to once I figured out what I wanted to do! I also would’ve probably enlisted to increase the chance of going to OCS as a pilot down the road.

Class 08-23 had 2 SEALS I believe one of them went pilot!

JoeBob1788

No, EODs have their EOD pin. He has the silver expeditionary warfare pin. He also has a CAR ribbon.
Definitely not EOD as you observed. I had a couple of guys with IT or exped insignias and jump wings, both were support techs at DEVGRU which is a jump billet for all members.

I don’t know anyone else that enlisted into EOD or NSW with the intention of going aviation later on but honestly… it went pretty smoothly. Mileage may vary.

Edit: just about to start NIFE so plenty of time for other things to go wrong

croakerfish

pilot
Glad to see you’re doing well! I know you were a prior EOD, few team deployments as well so you’d know.

I figured out who that individual was. ENS Griffin, designated information professional officer.
Cool did you find his home address too?