• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Navy’s working uniform for E-1 through O-10 and required in any situation that previously required dungarees for E-6 and below or wash khakis for chiefs and officers.

So for aviators I'm guessing we will probably never need the cammies?...

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
UNCLASSIFIED//
R DTG: 011814Z DEC 08
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N00//
TO NAVADMIN
BT
UNCLAS
UNCLAS PERSONAL FOR FLAG OFFICERS, COMMANDERS, COMMANDING OFFICERS AND
OFFICERS IN CHARGE FROM ADMIRAL ROUGHEAD //N00000//
NAVADMIN 342/08
SUBJ/PERSONAL FOR - NAVY UNIFORMS//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/091641ZJAN08//
AMPN/REF A IS NAVADMIN 004/08, NAVY UNIFORMS.//

RMKS/1. I AM PROVIDING ADVANCE NOTICE OF THE FINAL UNIFORM ROLLOUT OF CALENDAR YEAR 2008, AND THE ASSOCIATED NAVADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE FLEET. THE NEW E1-O10 NAVY WORKING UNIFORM (NWU) WILL COMMENCE ITS 24-MONTH PHASED FLEET-WIDE DISTRIBUTION BEGINNING WITH NAVY LEADERSHIP (FLAGS, CO, CMC/CSC/COB, AND OIC) 15 DECEMBER 2008, TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE INITIAL FLEET DISTRIBUTION 15 JANUARY 2009. THE NWU IS DESIGNED TO BE WORN YEAR-ROUND AND WILL BE THE PRIMARY WORKING UNIFORM ASHORE. THE NWU WILL REPLACE THE CURRENT WORKING UTILITIES, WASH KHAKI, TROPICAL UTILITIES, AVIATION WORKING GREEN, WINTER WORKING BLUE, AND CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORM USE IN NON-TACTICAL ENVIRONMENTS. THE 24-MONTH PHASING-IN OF THE NWU PROVIDES SUFFICIENT TIME FOR SAILORS TO ACQUIRE UNIFORM REPLACEMENT ALLOWANCES, AND FOR A SMOOTH LOGISTICAL DISTRIBUTION PROCESS COMMENSURATE WITH INDUSTRY PRODUCTION CAPACITY.

2. BASIC NWU COMPONENTS INCLUDE, A NAVY BLUE COTTON UNDERSHIRT, BLACK BOOT SOCKS, BLOUSING STRAPS, 9-INCH BLACK LEATHER SAFETY BOOTS, 1 1/4 INCH UNISEX GRADE DEPENDENT (KHAKI OR BLACK) COTTON OR NYLON WEB BELT WITH BUCKLE (SILVER FOR E6 AND BELOW AND GOLD FOR E7 AND ABOVE), UNISEX EIGHT POINT CAP, UNISEX SHIRT AND TROUSERS, COLLAR DEVICES (E4 AND ABOVE), SERVICE AND NAME TAPE.

3. THE MANNER OF WEAR MIRRORS THAT OF THE CURRENT DESERT AND WOODLAND CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORMS WITH A FEW MINOR EXCEPTIONS. THE FLEET NAVADMIN WILL PROVIDE A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF ALL MANNER OF WEAR REQUIREMENTS. THE OCCASION FOR WEAR WILL PROVIDE FOR WEARING OF THE NWU AT ALL ON-BASE FACILITIES. OFF-BASE WEAR WILL BE LIMITED TO COMMUTING TO/FROM HOME, WORK VIA POV, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, AND WHILE TRAVELING ON GOVERNMENT CONTRACTED OR MILITARY AIRCRAFT TO/FROM OCONUS LOCATIONS.

4. PER REF A, OUR SCHEDULED INTRODUCTION OF THE NWU WILL BEGIN DURING THE WINTER OF 2008 IN EIGHT WAVE DISTRIBUTION INCREMENTS AS FOLLOWS:

JAN 09 - TIDEWATER
APR 09 - SOUTHEAST
JUL 09 - NORTHEAST
OCT 09 - CAPITAL REGION
JAN 10 - WESTERN/NORTHWEST
APR 10 - GULF REGION
JUL 10 - HAWAII
OCT 10 - EUROPE/JAPAN/GUAM

UNIFORM COMPONENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE VIA NAVY EXCHANGE UNIFORM CENTERS THROUGHOUT THE FLEET PER PLANNED ROLLOUT. ENLISTED RESERVE COMPONENT SAILORS WILL RECEIVE THEIR NWU COMPONENTS VIA RESPECTIVE NAVY OPERATIONAL SUPPORT CENTERS.

5. THE ADOPTION AND FLEET IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NWU IS THE RESULT OF SIGNIFICANT RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS BY NAVY PERSONNEL, DEFENSE LOGISTICS AGENCY, AND THE TEXTILE INDUSTRY. THE MOST CRITICAL CONTRIBUTION TO THE UNIFORM EFFORT WAS THE MORE THAN 40,000 SAILORS WHO EXPRESSED THEIR SATISFACTION AND DISSATISFACTION WITH EXISTING UNIFORMS VIA AN ONLINE ELECTRONIC SURVEY. OVER 1,200 SAILORS PARTICIPATED IN A 6-MONTH WEAR-TEST EVALUATING 4 DIFFERENT UNIFORM CONCEPTS, DESIGNS, AND COLORS. OVERWHELMINGLY, THEY APPROVED THE DIGITAL DOMINANT BLUE DESIGN ABOVE THE OTHER THREE. MOST NOTEWORTHY ATTRIBUTES INCLUDE A MORE PROFESSIONAL AND MILITARY APPEARANCE, FUNCTIONALITY, DURABILITY, AND IMPROVED FIT FOR MEN AND WOMEN.

6. RELEASED BY ADMIRAL G. ROUGHEAD, CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS.//

BT

This NAVADMIN was posted on SailorBob.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's where I saw it. They obviously have a bigger stake in this than aviators do. This leads me to another question; how many (winged) aviators here are maintaining sets of wash khakis since this is what the blue cammies are replacing? I don't feel like dropping a couple hundred bucks on these if I don't need to do so.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
That's where I saw it. They obviously have a bigger stake in this than aviators do. This leads me to another question; how many (winged) aviators here are maintaining sets of wash khakis since this is what the blue cammies are replacing? I don't feel like dropping a couple hundred bucks on these if I don't need to do so.

Well, if/when the service dress khaki rolls out you'll still need the wash khaki shirts anyways, not CNT.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Sounds like it's just an ashore uniform, where a lot of officers/chiefs are usually wearing service khakis anyway.

BDCPCowboy

So for aviators I'm guessing we will probably never need the cammies?...

Sailors involved in tactical situations or special work environments — the war zones, flight decks, expeditionary units, etc. — will wear what they always wear.

That is the way it sounds in the literature...and what I am hoping but don't quote me

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I just don't understand the blue camouflage. I can understand moving to a different design of work uniform but why on earth blue digital camouflage.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
It supposedly hides dirt and stains better than dungarees. Personally I think who ever thought this abortion up, has more than a few screws loose.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
It supposedly hides dirt and stains better than dungarees. Personally I think who ever thought this abortion up, has more than a few screws loose.

Shoot if you want a uniform that hides dirt and stains keep with the woodland cammies. They work and we already have a ton of them. Simple cost effective solution.

BDCPCowboy

I just don't understand the blue camouflage. I can understand moving to a different design of work uniform but why on earth blue digital camouflage.

I agree with you Lazers maybe the three shades of blue stick out stick out in the ocean after an "overboard.":D

Thoughts? Theories? On the color scheme

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My guess is that some people up the chain wanted the Navy to join the other services in having a camo working uniform, but still somewhat maintain our identity by making it blue.

Just a guess, though.

I agree with you Lazers maybe the three shades of blue stick out stick out in the ocean after an "overboard."
Utilities and coveralls are both blue, so yea...nothing's changed in that regard.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Those uniforms look like the ugly Hawaiian T-Shirts that all of my Physics peers wear even if it is 10 degrees out. Hard to think that such smart people could be so dumb when it comes to common sense; probably like some really smart dude thinking that these uniforms look remotely good.

Maybe we might just be stepping into the new future Navy; where everything is "Blue." Karaoke in uniform might just take on a whole new meaning.