• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY Initial Flight Screening (IFS)

jtmedli

pilot
I meant to say that others had described the AF program as being like hazing, not the navy one in case that wasn't clear.

It's ok man. I've heard AF people describe their IFS as a bit ridiculous too. IMO, the Navy IFS is how it should be: a few flights and a solo with some bookwork involved to make sure you really wanna fly before they start blowing $2000 a flight on you (at least) to train you.

A Day In The Life

pilot
You'll get ~13.5 hours in 9 or 10 flights and a solo. The ground school and tests are not hard at all. When you start IFS get your hands on the gouge, it's good.

Overall it's pretty easy and is nothing to be concerned about.

magnetfreezer

Actually, the AF replaced IFT with IFS, and from what I understand serves the screening purpose you outline here. Either way "it's not hard" is not how anyone has described their program - more like hazing.

I'm starting to get somewhat of a feel for the differences between the two services from talking to folks who are in/have been through one or the other, and of course this forum, so I'm not surprised by what you've said about Navy IFS. Thanks!

Both Navy and AF IFS are for screening; Navy is geared more towards the desire/basic aeronautical adaptability as described by most of the people in the thread. Air Force UPT is the more regimented/hazing version of the 2 pilot training programs (see the Vance threads for stories of standups, 12 hour formal release days, etc). The AF felt their attrition rates were high enough they needed to weed out those who couldn't hack their training regimen (hence the same training regimen at Air Force IFS). That's why the AF makes everyone do IFS regardless of prior flight training - they are testing the ability to function under their rules as well as aeronautical skills/desire.

Silhouette

Slight threadjack here, but I want to make sure I don't have the wrong idea about this -- all this talk about Vance/Whiting, etc is for Pilots only, correct? As an SNFO, I can expect to be in PCola for at least... a year and a half for IFS through Advanced? I've searched around and didn't see anywhere that explicitly said that SNFOs don't move, but it seems to be implied. Appreciate any help!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll be there at least through primary. If you select MPRA/E-6s out of primary you move to Jacksonville/Oklahoma, respectively, but if you get tailhook then you stay for intermediate. From there if you get E-2s then you move to Norfolk, but if you select jets then you stay in Pcola through advanced.

Silhouette

You'll be there at least through primary. If you select MPRA/E-6s out of primary you move to Jacksonville/Oklahoma, respectively, but if you get tailhook then you stay for intermediate. From there if you get E-2s then you move to Norfolk, but if you select jets then you stay in Pcola through advanced.
Thank you! Very helpful. It seems that orders from OCS to P-Cola would be TDY, then? Do most people move their personal property after advanced?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, for NFOs it is a PCS. Depending on the backlogs at each stage, it will take you at least 9 months to make it through IFS/API/primary.

Actually, it's a PCS for everyone, though the accounting lines for pilots and NFOs are different, look around this site for discussions on both, but for you, the Navy will pay to move you and your crap to Pcola.

Silhouette

No, for NFOs it is a PCS. Depending on the backlogs at each stage, it will take you at least 9 months to make it through IFS/API/primary.

Actually, it's a PCS for everyone, though the accounting lines for pilots and NFOs are different, look around this site for discussions on both, but for you, the Navy will pay to move you and your crap to Pcola.
Again, much appreciated. Can't wait to get started down there.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Question from a somewhat older guy...

When did the Navy start doing IFS?

There was no IFS back in 1986 when I went straight from the Officer Recruiter to AOCS to VT-2...the first thing I ever flew (other than kites) was the T-34C on FAM 1 at VT-2.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The "test" program started in 1999 or so. It was called FIP-Flight Introduction Program back then. I completed FIP my junior year of college.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really think IFS provides great value for the money. Relatively inexpensive, a 'reality check' for the cones and a effective screen for the Navy. Attitude, aptitude and adaptability.

If they're not willing to study hard enough to pass the FAA written or learn procedures for farting around VFR in a Cessna (or they do learn them but can't remember their middle name once they're airborne), odds are against them being successful at fire-hose drinking in the VTs. Similarly, we find the hopelessly airsick guys and can work with them in A-pool instead of having them clog up the student flow at the VTs.

But since the benefits are difficult to express as PowerPoint-friendly metrics, IFS is always being eyed for cuts.