• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY Initial Flight Screening (IFS)

FLYNAVY20

Pro Rec, SNA, OCS 09-12
I start IFS in may 2012. Can anyone give me some information on what to expect at IFS. Is there anything I can start practicing or studying now? All I know is I'll be getting about 15 hours in a Cessna 172.

Thanks!

yakboyslim

None
That's it. You know everything there is to know.

Seriously once you get into it go to http://www.sportys.com/studybuddy and do the free test in flash card mode to study up. All the questions you will ever see on ANY of the tests, including the FAA written, are included in the question bank. Between that and doing the study packet they'll give you, you will be fine.

Once you get past the ground phase just prepare for your flights and have fun. It's easy flying and it is mostly just fun. And you might get to fly in a Piper if you are lucky.

Wait a second... you haven't even gone to OCS yet?! Kill the gator closest to the boat. One step at a time.

Plus IFS isn't much to worry about. If you waste any time on it BEFORE OCS, just play flight simulator... between workouts and preparing your big 3.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What they said. IFS is waaaaaaaay down the list of shit that should be concerning you right now, killer.

IFS is designed to be a screening program. There's not really any such thing as excelling at IFS - you either meet standards, or don't.

The way I always saw it, IFS screens for three things:
- attitude (are you willing to take the program serously?)
- aptitude (are you capable of learning this stuff and retaining it while in the airplane?)
- adaptability (do you barf uncontrollably or freak out/freeze up on the controls?)

I had appointments with lots of dudes wearing their khakis who couldn't or wouldn't meet one or more of those wickets. Blowing off musters, gundecking their paperwork, failing FAA tests, not even remotely familiar with their syllabus material, etc. We'd rather find those guys immediately, than waste time and money classing them up.

The problem children always seemed to have the attitude that IFS didn't really count...that it was just a County Fair airplane ride. I had one tell me that he was 'pacing himself'.

As with the rest of the Program, take it seriously when it's time, work your ass off at what's in front of you.

FLYNAVY20

Pro Rec, SNA, OCS 09-12
What they said. IFS is waaaaaaaay down the list of shit that should be concerning you right now, killer.

I had appointments with lots of dudes wearing their khakis who couldn't or wouldn't meet one or more of those wickets. Blowing off musters, gundecking their paperwork, failing FAA tests, not even remotely familiar with their syllabus material, etc. We'd rather find those guys immediately, than waste time and money classing them up.

The problem children always seemed to have the attitude that IFS didn't really count...that it was just a County Fair airplane ride. I had one tell me that he was 'pacing himself'.

Thanks for the info. I have three months before I leave fore OCS and I have the big three, sailors creed, ranks and insignias, etc., memorized. I'm just trying to study as much as I can before I leave, including aviation material. I can't believe some, what sounds like dip shits, blew off IFS. Also, I'm not a 21 year old "kid" and I realize the opportunity I have.

If there's one thing I have down, it's BEER.

jtmedli

pilot
Thanks for the info. I have three months before I leave fore OCS and I have the big three, sailors creed, ranks and insignias, etc., memorized.

Memorize them more. You'll be amazed at what you'll forget at OCS.

My advice: Focus on OCS and working out and having fun before you leave for Newport. Think of it as a free 'vacation'....because that's more or less what it is.

Edit: Screw memorizing crap. You'll have plenty of time for that at OCS. Just drink, party and workout and have fun.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, don't sweat IFS...any 12 year-old can make it through...worry about OCS first, and definitely spend your free time enjoying the fall....

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info. I have three months before I leave fore OCS and I have the big three, sailors creed, ranks and insignias, etc., memorized. I'm just trying to study as much as I can before I leave, including aviation material. I can't believe some, what sounds like dip shits, blew off IFS. Also, I'm not a 21 year old "kid" and I realize the opportunity I have.

If there's one thing I have down, it's BEER.

PT...more beer.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you study ahead for IFS your head will explode by the time you make it to API. You have plenty of studying to do in your immediate future, don't add to the workload. If anything, decreasing your workload will actually make you more successful and keep you from losing your shit.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Definitely tackle the gator closest to the boat.

That being said, when IFS comes around, don't assume it'll be easy. Some people aren't used to the suddenly intense (albeit short-lived) workload that IFS makes you deal with. Depending on where you go for it, it could be more work than fun. It's still easier than anything else you'll do in flight school, so have some fun now before all the work starts.

Growing a beard is good advice. You'll be shaving every day for the next ten years. I miss my jebus beard.