• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY Initial Flight Screening (IFS)

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
It's not like they won't give you the time to get situated in Whiting if you do have to move up there after API. Just my thoughts.

There were guys from my API class who got reported on Thursday to TRAWING5, and checked in to their squadrons on the following Monday to start ground school. That's not exactly a lot of wiggle room. Granted, things change week to week, but don't count on having a lot of time between API/Primary.

But, as MIDNJAC pointed out. . .this is a time in your career that you have relatively little responsibility. Enjoy it to your fullest, but keep your eye on the prize. Driving 1.5-2hrs a day sucks, that's what I did for API. Now that I'm in primary, being able to get to the squadron within 5 minutes of stepping out my door is great. I could give a rat's ass if I have to take 45 minutes to get to Pensacola, as I'm only really going down there on the weekends.

Find out what's most important to you, and make it happen. Best of luck to you.

FLYNAVY20

Pro Rec, SNA, OCS 09-12
Find out what's most important to you, and make it happen. Best of luck to you.

All the opinions definitely have a wide range. It all helps though. I think going geo-bachelor and living close to NASP for IFS/API then moving to PACE when I start primary might be best. Any thoughts on the time frame from starting IFS and finishing API? I'll search it too....

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Uh, do you get how Geo-Bach works? You live in the BOQ usually while collecting BAH for your wife/kiddies back home. And you have to get the command to sign off on the Geo-Bach paperwork, because the Navy will be paying double (BAH + BOQ $) for your ass.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Any thoughts on the time frame from starting IFS and finishing API? I'll search it too....

The time frame changes week to week. If you're able to do the Geo-bachelor thing, good on you. Just remember, you might not have much time to find a home AFTER API.

As far as time frame for IFS then API. API is six weeks, IFS should only take you 3-4 weeks. There may be a few weeks of waiting to class up for both IFS and API. Semper Gumby

yakboyslim

None
Like eas7888 said, API/IFS/APOOL is going to be the best time to find a place and move your family , not during primary, but do what you got to do.

One note on the geo-bachelor thing - a guy in my primary class was geo-bachelor and had to work pretty hard to get moved into something down here at NASP. He was in the BOQ at Whiting, even though primary is down here for snfo's. Just know that the Navy might not put you where you want to be for that (since according to them both Whiting and NASP are close enough.)

cameron172

pilot
Grow a beard.

Study the beer list at Hopjack's, McGuire's, Fish House, etc. Have them memorized before you show up for day 1 of IFS.

These are received loud and clear! But I'm just curious how much FAA regulations are covered in IFS if Navy follows NATOPS instead? I get that IFS is a civilian flight school that gets you to your solo, but all the civilian student pilot training I've received in the past has been fairly heavy on FAA regs. Is it any different in IFS?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
You'll have an FRR (Flight Rules and Regulations class, but don't sweat it too heavily, you won't really see the FAR/AIM until Primary.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
These are received loud and clear! But I'm just curious how much FAA regulations are covered in IFS if Navy follows NATOPS instead? I get that IFS is a civilian flight school that gets you to your solo, but all the civilian student pilot training I've received in the past has been fairly heavy on FAA regs. Is it any different in IFS?

It comes in waves.

You'll take the FAA written exam in IFS for PPL and you need to pass. They give you a question bank to study from and there's good gouge. Later on, you get 3ish day crash course in FR&R in API. Learn, but mostly brain dumped after.

In Primary, you'll get instrument ground school where you learn nuances of 3710 but don't get really in depth. It's reinforced in RI flights, but only so much. Mostly it's a "do two jet logs" for proficiency haze-ex each night. For me at least, I learned the more practical stuff/flight procedures, and the book knowledge was less emphasized outside brief items.

In Advanced (Helo perspective), you'll be expected to have a current FAR/AIM and 3710 to reference for RIs. They work in concert together and it's by then you really need to understand them.

Short answer is study the stuff you were given, get gouge from buddies, and get the alligator closet to the boat. The bigger picture comes into focus more as you go along.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Yeah, don't sweat IFS...any 12 year-old can make it through...worry about OCS first, and definitely spend your free time enjoying the fall....

So AF folk talk about their IFS like it is a horrible experience. Both sound like similar programs, but it seems that you guys don't think it is something to worry about, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on here about it, especially not recently. I'm not tackling that gator yet (still waiting to hear about pro rec) but am looking at it. What kind of gator is it?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The AF has IFT, which is part of their training pipeline. The "T" there stands for training. Contrast that with the "S" in IFS, which stands for screening and is just one more hoop to get through prior to API, and you get an idea of the mindsets of the two services. The rationale behind IFS was to screen out folks who can't even handle a Cessna, much less a T-34 or T-6, prior to them ever getting in a military aircraft that's far more expensive to operate than the Cessna. I haven't heard about the program recently, but I know the programs hours have been cut repeatedly, leading me to think that it might just go away here soon. Regardless, it's not hard.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The AF has IFT, which is part of their training pipeline. The "T" there stands for training. Contrast that with the "S" in IFS, which stands for screening and is just one more hoop to get through prior to API, and you get an idea of the mindsets of the two services. The rationale behind IFS was to screen out folks who can't even handle a Cessna, much less a T-34 or T-6, prior to them ever getting in a military aircraft that's far more expensive to operate than the Cessna. I haven't heard about the program recently, but I know the programs hours have been cut repeatedly, leading me to think that it might just go away here soon. Regardless, it's not hard.

Actually, the AF replaced IFT with IFS, and from what I understand serves the screening purpose you outline here. Either way "it's not hard" is not how anyone has described their program - more like hazing.

I'm starting to get somewhat of a feel for the differences between the two services from talking to folks who are in/have been through one or the other, and of course this forum, so I'm not surprised by what you've said about Navy IFS. Thanks!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You could compare and contrast the two programs all day and still not gain any useful knowledge. No matter which program you attend, they are both all-inclusive. They teach you everything you need to know and there are no points for first place. Strictly pass or fail...and the criteria for passing isn't that high. It is, without a doubt, the very last thing you ever need to worry about and requires absolutely no prior flying knowledge or experience.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
It's not hazing.

I meant to say that others had described the AF program as being like hazing, not the navy one in case that wasn't clear.

You could compare and contrast the two programs all day and still not gain any useful knowledge. No matter which program you attend, they are both all-inclusive. They teach you everything you need to know and there are no points for first place. Strictly pass or fail...and the criteria for passing isn't that high. It is, without a doubt, the very last thing you ever need to worry about and requires absolutely no prior flying knowledge or experience.

Good to know, thanks.