• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Golfing

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The re-work on NASNI's course is nice - much improved. Also, if in San Diego you can get a local's card and play Torrey Pines cheap. (It is no joke from the tips, though, so be prepared for a little pain if you try that).

And Monterey is another great spot with Black Horse and Bayonet - best reason for going to NPS.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Located in Washington DC, Arlington VA actually, the Army Navy Country Club operates a world class course. Open to commissioned officers and senior DOD officials, they will waive initiation fee if you join within the first year of your commissioning. After the first year there is a waiting list and a rather modest (relative term) initiation fee. Annual dues are also waived if you live beyond 50 miles from the "Club". Disclaimer: My information is several years old, you might want to check on current rules/requirements, if interested.:eek:

Flugelman

Contributor
And Monterey is another great spot with Black Horse and Bayonet - best reason for going to NPS.

The Ft. Ord courses have been turned over to the city of Seaside and they are turning them into a resort. Great courses, but look for the price to go up. When we were at the NPS RV park last August word was that the golf course was closing for rennovation next April and they were putting over one million dollars into it. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but the course sure needs the work.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
The re-work on NASNI's course is nice - much improved.

+1 on the re-work for Sea N Air. Also, Admiral Baker North is a decent course as well.

I myself have yet to play Torrey. I almost played Balboa, but I was'nt happy with the condition to cost ratio. :eek:

As far as joining.......join the Navy, Love your job and play fairley cheap golf at will.

submarinerssbn

well i have been to a few sub bases and the one in kingsbay sux!!! the bugs will keep you from swinging or by the time that your club head gets to the ball the bugs will have eaten you alive, and whidbeyt island in washington state is ok. the gallery golf course fantastic view and is laid out ok. but the sub base in bangor washington uhhhhh doesn't exist the navy would'nt make one. I would bet it all that the air force along with a bigger budget to buy the nice stuff has also got the nicer courses and i don't think there are very few a/f bases that don't have one. if you come up here i am a huge golfer, favorite past time, we can go play a few rounds though!!!!! always looking for some buds to golf with

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Personally I like NAS Oceana; they have 2 -18 whole courses, both really good. Also if you are ever in the DC Area, though not NAVY, Andrews AFB has 3 courses, all not bad, FT Belvior in Northern VA has 2 18's and a 9 hole course all good. Quantico's Medal of Honor course is not bad as well. The best thing about the military courses is the cheap greens fees at all of them.

Goob83

None
bugs do suck at Kings bay if you are there at wrong time of year.
well i have been to a few sub bases and the one in kingsbay sux!!! the bugs will keep you from swinging or by the time that your club head gets to the ball the bugs will have eaten you alive, and whidbeyt island in washington state is ok. the gallery golf course fantastic view and is laid out ok. but the sub base in bangor washington uhhhhh doesn't exist the navy would'nt make one. I would bet it all that the air force along with a bigger budget to buy the nice stuff has also got the nicer courses and i don't think there are very few a/f bases that don't have one. if you come up here i am a huge golfer, favorite past time, we can go play a few rounds though!!!!! always looking for some buds to golf with

SH-60OB

pilot
FT Belvior in Northern VA has 2 18's and a 9 hole course all good.

Unfortunately they closed the South 9 this fall to build Dewitt hospital and the rumor is that they are going to get rid of 5 holes of the Gunston Course to put in a Museum. Of course that makes perfect sense since BRAC has ~10000 people moving into the area in the next few years.

That being said you can't beat the membership rate at Belvoir. About 800 covers greens fees for the year. As previously stated, both the Wooodlawn and Gunston courses are challenging and kept in good shape.

phrogpilot73

The beauty of being in the Navy/Marine Corps is that you get to play other services' courses without having to be in that service. It's the best of both worlds. If you're in the DC area, the Courses Ft Meade is pretty nice too. Two 18-hole courses, and cheap green fees.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
The Navy's nine hole course (par 34 as I recall) in Negishi (Yokohama) Japan was a very fine course. I played many a round there, back in the day. It was built on the grounds of the Negishi Race (horse) Track. Ahhh the memories!:sleep_125

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy's nine hole course (par 34 as I recall) in Negishi (Yokohama) Japan was a very fine course. I played many a round there, back in the day. It was built on the grounds of the Negishi Race (horse) Track. Ahhh the memories!:sleep_125

Camp Zama, Japan. Not a golfer but even I was impressed with how well the course was kept, greenest grass I have ever seen on a golf course. That and I remember the huge nets on the borders of the course, those things looked to be 200 ft high. The 19th hole was very nice too, almost felt colonial.....:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately they closed the South 9 this fall to build Dewitt hospital and the rumor is that they are going to get rid of 5 holes of the Gunston Course to put in a Museum. Of course that makes perfect sense since BRAC has ~10000 people moving into the area in the next few years.
That being said you can't beat the membership rate at Belvoir. About 800 covers greens fees for the year. As previously stated, both the Wooodlawn and Gunston courses are challenging and kept in good shape.

It also makes perfect sense since they did not have to the same enviromental surveys/tests that they would had to elsewhere on the base (no munitions or chemicals under the course like there could be on other parts of the base), shortened contruction by abotu 2 to 3 years apparently.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Remember the ARMY AND AIR FORCE BULD MWR FACILITIES FIRST THEN THEY BUILD HOUSING THEN THEY BUILD THE REST OF THE OPERATIONAL BASE. The Navy and marines build the runway and base first then housing then MWR facilities.
I'd always heard this as well, but...

Lucky me, in my aviation-purgatory shore duty, I have now learned the reality:

Big Navy uses installation budgets as the slush fund for warfighting capabilities. When things are tight, installations get robbed first to fund shipbuilding.

Navy MWR is required to break even overall. The only moneymakers in MWR are golf courses and marinas. The major overhead on a golf course is, of course, grounds maintenance, so that's the first thing cut in order to keep single sailor programs afloat.

The Navy has sea duty and shore duty; you can go from flying on sea duty, to being a detailer on shore duty. Then, before you redeploy, you go back through training to update quals, then through workups to establish proficiency. So your shore job doesn't necessarily have to be the same as your sea job.

The Air Force has nothing like the sea duty/shore duty concept. An airman who does landscape maintenance (on a golf course) in the States, will do landscape maintenance when he deploys to a war zone. Therefore, the Air Force ties money to maintain that golf course to the ability to keep that airman trained to deploy (read - "readiness").

So, the Navy becomes "well-rounded", while the Air Force has a giant helmet fire whenever they meet a situation not covered by instructions.

I hate myself for knowing all this.:(

SH-60OB

pilot
It also makes perfect sense since they did not have to the same enviromental surveys/tests that they would had to elsewhere on the base (no munitions or chemicals under the course like there could be on other parts of the base), shortened contruction by abotu 2 to 3 years apparently.

You're right I'm just bitter. Tough enough to get a good tee time in the summer with 45 holes will be impossible when/if they go down to 27.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
This is awesome....someone might actually base service selection on golf courses! Until now this was only a joke.