• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Golfing

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
All,
I am new to this forum as I am looking into the Navy or Air Force for a Pilot slot. How is the golf in the Navy? Do most of the bases have golfing or not? Are the courses good condition/challenging? Hopefully some of you are golfers.

Also, I don't know how many of you have seen this picture, but I thought it was funny if you have the time to check it out.

http://www.codenameinsight.com/US Air Force Carrier.jpg

Cheers

Nick

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm not a golfer but this is an original first post..... +1

But yeah, that picture has been around for years and posted many times.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Most places have a golf course. Whether or not its good, thats a completely different story.

Case & point: The USNA golf course and the NAS P-Cola par-72 courses are pretty good. (at least in the opinion of a shitty golfer like me)

Haven't played it, but people have said that the NAS Whiting Field course is a piece'o'shit course.

Have yet to play the course up here at NASWI.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
All,
I am new to this forum as I am looking into the Navy or Air Force for a Pilot slot. How is the golf in the Navy? Do most of the bases have golfing or not? Are the courses good condition/challenging? Hopefully some of you are golfers.

I love the Navy, I really do, but if this is your determining factor, go Air Force man. The best Navy course I have played is either at Pensacola or Admiral Baker in San Diego. They were both decent, hell, great for the price, but overall they were nothing to write home about. Crappy greens, simple layouts, and a ill maintained. I have played a few Air Force courses, including a ton of rounds at McChord AFB in Washington state, and they were all really nice. Far better maintained and just better, more challenging layouts. From what I gathered from playing with the AF dudes, golf for the sake of golf is much more part of the AF culture than it is in the Navy. In the Navy golf seems to be more a way to kill a case of beer with your buddies on Sunday afternoon without your wife yelling at you. The guys I played with in Washington also said that McChord, which was really nice, was just average for an Air Force course. Hope my limited experience helps, and I also really hope that who has the better golf course is not your motivating factor for choosing one service over another.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
This is not my determining factor for which branch to serve in. That would be stupid for me to base my military career on which branch has the best golf. I just wanted to post something original rather than get the dreaded "use the search function" and "..% get jets."

Cheers:icon_zbee

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Whiting is great for the price. I've played much worse and spent more doing it. I think it use to be more challenging but got easier with some storms deciding it needed fewer trees. NASNI's course is really nice. Pensacola is nice. ADM Baker I wasn't impressed with (I've only played the South course). The condition was pretty good but there wasn't much too it; mostly just a bunch of big open straight holes. It's been a while but I thought Oceana was pretty good too. The best military course I've played though was MCAS K-bay in Hawaii. It has a few holes on a cliff overlooking the beach, very beautiful. I'll second what was said about Navy golf being more about booze than scores, but I'd say for the average golfer the courses are fine and a very good value. My only experience with the Air Force was Enid, OK and that wasn't at all impressive (Vance doesn't have its own course, but they have a deal with the local course so military play cheap).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Langley AFB has 2 courses. At one point they were pretty nice but lately they have been kinda shittified seeing as how the new 4star likes to play tennis and racquetball... The par 3 course on the base in Norfolk is pretty crappy.

Goob83

None
As a rule the Navy courses are not up to PAR with the AIR FORCE; however, the Navy has several prime time courses and you will have exposure to some of the best courses in the world while on deployment. On active duty you will have the opportunity to visit Navy, AF, Army and Marine courses. you will find that AF, ARMY courses are the best maintain and the cheapest. Many of the Navy Courses have better lay outs but the money is not there to keep them up. I think I may have played every Navy Course in existence and only three stand out when in Prime conditions, if not maintained they are just JUNK! I have only played one or two bad AF courses. Every army course I have played total of about 15 are always perfect and CHEAP!!!!!

Remember the ARMY AND AIR FORCE BULD MWR FACILITIES FIRST THEN THEY BUILD HOUSING THEN THEY BUILD THE REST OF THE OPERATIONAL BASE. The Navy and marines build the runway and base first then housing then MWR facilities. The Army and the Air Force have MWR Officers that run MWR facitlites. The Navy and Marines Hire underpaid GS 6 to do the JOB and they have no idea how to grow grass or cut holes. The only requirement is they have a CLASS A PRO to run the shop and operation it is up to him to hire folks for 6 dollars an hour to maintain the course. His other salary guy will be the SUPERINTENDENT that may or may not have experience.
THE ARMY AND AIRFORCE have full staff to include green superintendent and maintenance manager and operations manager. So they run the operation more like a private course. aight so you get the picture. Join the Navy to see and play the best courses in the world or Join the Air force and play the same course in NEBRASKA for 20 year in the summer.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
http://www.afcee.brooks.af.mil/ec/golf/default.asp
afgolf.jpg

My only contribution on the matter. I don't ever intend to play golf.