• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy gold wings metals...

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
This thread caused me to do a little research. My dad (winged in 1972 I believe) gave me his wings. I went and looked at the back and they are stamped with Balfour 1/20 10K GF (Gold Fill). I shot him a text to ask if he bought them separately and he said they were his winging issued pair.

After quick google search it appears that Balfour 1/20 10K GF were in fact a company that produced standard wings issue from WWII to whenever (didn't look that hard). There are a lot of these Balfour NA wings for sale on eBay or other various websites for anywhere from $30 to $150 if anybody wants to pick up an antique.

I decided to take the 'never shined by me' wings and clean them with my wife's jewelry stuff. They look no nicer than before. Guess I need to get them re-plated...

Attachments

• 0FA62589-4874-4FAA-8F2C-5B6EF6ADC28D_1_201_a.jpeg
    0FA62589-4874-4FAA-8F2C-5B6EF6ADC28D_1_201_a.jpeg
    905.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2500D06D-A5EB-4FB0-811B-1B04D0B708FB_1_201_a.jpeg
    2500D06D-A5EB-4FB0-811B-1B04D0B708FB_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54

Pags

N/A
pilot
This thread caused me to do a little research. My dad (winged in 1972 I believe) gave me his wings. I went and looked at the back and they are stamped with Balfour 1/20 10K GF (Gold Fill). I shot him a text to ask if he bought them separately and he said they were his winging issued pair.

After quick google search it appears that Balfour 1/20 10K GF were in fact a company that produced standard wings issue from WWII to whenever (didn't look that hard). There are a lot of these Balfour NA wings for sale on eBay or other various websites for anywhere from $30 to $150 if anybody wants to pick up an antique.

I decided to take the 'never shined by me' wings and clean them with my wife's jewelry stuff. They look no nicer than before. Guess I need to get them re-plated...
Those are awesome looking. If I was still wearing them I'd go pick up a pair from eBay.

There was always one or two folks in each squadron with family wings that always looked much cooler than anything you could get at the NEX or in The Kingdom.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would never polish a pair of family heirloom wings. They tell a story. In fact, if you have any antiques think real hard before you touch them. The trend now is minimal to no restoration.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the input to not touch them!

Also - lets be honest, I'm too lazy to actually get them any cleaner than they are now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have a set of Museum 14K wings that my parents got me as a winging gift. Other than the one time I wore a uniform on SP, I would wear them when not in a bag, but that was still fairly rare throughout my career they didn't build up a huge amount of patina. They are a darker shade like loadtoad's picture. They just seem more grown up than the shiny Vanguard wings, if that makes sense.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My dad gave me his from the 1950's for winging. I don't know anything about them, but they are heavy and definitely metal of some sort. I suppose likely gold to some extent. Would be cool if one of my little rascals gave me a reason to gift them again one day. Younger one seems to have the interest in planes at least.....oldest boy doesn't GAF :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Our own newspaper, the Navy record of truth calls it a "chopper" - face palm.

The Navy chopper crew responded after receiving an alert from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office about a hiker who had fallen off a ridgeline at Mount Townsend, broke both legs and had a potential traumatic brain injury.