• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy gold wings metals...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The ones you buy at the uniform store are just basic cast metal that's coated in a gold-like paint.

Real deal gold wings, you can buy them, but they aren't cheap.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
To the best of my [small] knowledge, the Vanguard wings that I have from the 1980s are made of non-coated solid brass. I distinctly remember them turning green while being on the boat...and I distinctly remember polishing them with Brasso to make them not green...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm pretty sure the standard uniform shop wings are either painted or anodized, but made out of brass.

There are a few third-party jewelry shops that sell 14k wings; maybe the NEX/MCX uniform shop carries them too. These get pricey, like hundreds of dollars.

I don't think anybody makes them "purer" than 14k for the same reason as any other jewelry. They'd just turn into bendy floppy wings of gold.

By the way, "badge" is kind of an Army term. We don't talk like that around here. It's like calling a "helo" a "chopper," like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. :p

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'm pretty sure the standard uniform shop wings are either painted or anodized, but made out of brass.

There are a few third-party jewelry shops that sell 14k wings; maybe the NEX/MCX uniform shop carries them too. These get pricey, like hundreds of dollars.

I don't think anybody makes them "purer" than 14k for the same reason as any other jewelry. They'd just turn into bendy floppy wings of gold.

By the way, "badge" is kind of an Army term. We don't talk like that around here. It's like calling a "helo" a "chopper," like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. :p
Why don’t chopper dudes like saying chopper? I’ve always enjoyed it

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I’m sure you have enjoyed it...for many years.
While touring the San Diego Air & Space museum many years ago - with my det cohorts, we were in khakis, we were approached by one of the docents - clearly an older retired Naval Aviator. He walked up to us slapping us on our backs saying "I'm an old Vigi pilot - 500 traps! How many traps do you youngsters have so far ?" or something to that affect. We explained we all flew helos and were in town for some pre-deployment sim training. To which the gentleman replies - "you can't be a Naval Aviator without being carrier qualed - I thought you chopper boys wore half wings - aren't you out of uniform?". He literally said it just like that and was incredulous that we were somehow misrepresenting ourselves.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I want to say I asked my best friends in Bahrain for their best friend price on some solid gold wings, and it was easily $1000+. I can't recall the exact number, but I know I was open to spending a chunk of change and recoiled a bit at the price.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Pro tip - purchase the Marine bright anodized wings from the Marine Shop in Quantico. I believe they have gold in the anodizing, retain their bright finish for years and look great. Personally I never liked the "salty wings" look. That and big belt buckles with officers crest or a ship are best avoided IMHO.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
While touring the San Diego Air & Space museum many years ago - with my det cohorts, we were in khakis, we were approached by one of the docents - clearly an older retired Naval Aviator. He walked up to us slapping us on our backs saying "I'm an old Vigi pilot - 500 traps! How many traps do you youngsters have so far ?" or something to that affect. We explained we all flew helos and were in town for some pre-deployment sim training. To which the gentleman replies - "you can't be a Naval Aviator without being carrier qualed - I thought you chopper boys wore half wings - aren't you out of uniform?". He literally said it just like that and was incredulous that we were somehow misrepresenting ourselves.
You and your buds should have brought up the "do not rescue list" to mess with his head.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Pro tip - purchase the Marine bright anodized wings from the Marine Shop in Quantico. I believe they have gold in the anodizing, retain their bright finish for years and look great. Personally I never liked the "salty wings" look. That and big belt buckles with officers crest or a ship are best avoided IMHO.
Whatever wings (and other uniform items) they sell at the NEX these days don't require polishing. I never had to polish mine and they never became salty. Not like the belt buckle they gave me as a MIDN 4/C, that thing tarnished as soon as brasso went more than 3" away from the buckle.