• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy gold wings metals...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To which the gentleman replies - "you can't be a Naval Aviator without being carrier qualed - I thought you chopper boys wore half wings - aren't you out of uniform?". He literally said it just like that and was incredulous that we were somehow misrepresenting ourselves.
So you’re saying he couldn’t tell the difference between a helo and a dirigible?

brownshoe

Contributor
While touring the San Diego Air & Space museum many years ago - with my det cohorts, we were in khakis, we were approached by one of the docents - clearly an older retired Naval Aviator. He walked up to us slapping us on our backs saying "I'm an old Vigi pilot - 500 traps! How many traps do you youngsters have so far ?" or something to that affect. We explained we all flew helos and were in town for some pre-deployment sim training. To which the gentleman replies - "you can't be a Naval Aviator without being carrier qualed - I thought you chopper boys wore half wings - aren't you out of uniform?". He literally said it just like that and was incredulous that we were somehow misrepresenting ourselves.

Skeeterman? Should've sent him over here. :)

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Indeed. I mean had he flown A-5's would there not have been an embarked Helo squadron flying H-3's or H-2's?
But they would have CQ'ed on the T-28, probably off the coast of Pensacola by flying from Barin out to the Lex.