• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Flying Cwo Program

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If you go to college you can always apply after. Ask those guys on active duty how long it has taken to get their degree? It takes a long time. My adivce is go to college and give yourself more options.

Took me 11 1/2 years, I didn't start taking courses until about the 6 year mark, after my initial training and seatour. Then I had an AA in about two years, and then selected for STA-21 at the 8 1/2 year mark. Once selected I was a regular college student.

bobbybrock

None
Just because I'm curious: If you had a college degree, why didn't you go for a commission instead of a WO?

Good question. I applied to Marine OCS and was accepted, but did not get a flight contract. I was 2 /12 year out of college and had just turned 25. I would have been strecting it with the age requirement of 27 1/2. I didn't know anything about the warrant program but knew I could fly.The age cut off was also 29 . I applied and was accepted. This was in the early ninties when it was pretty slim pickens. Of my flight school class, 18 of the 20 warrants had a four year degrees and one had a masters. Of those 18 ,I know 3 who got selected an finished the NTPS.
I guess in a nut shell it is more common than not. Like HH-60 said ,some guys and gals are more intrested in the flying. I spent the entire time at the unit level in a flying position. If I had taken a regualr commission ( in the Army)I would have spent 3/4 of my time on staff. I fly for the federal goverment these days and probably wouldn't have been selected if I didn't have close 4000 hours.

steeleshark2

None
Ok he said is is 31 now, which basically takes him out of the running for any other commissioning program to become an NFO, barring if he already had his Bachelors Complete, and was lucky enough to recieve an age waiver as well as being accepted to OCS. I don't know all of Steelesharks background, but most likely, it wouldn't have happened for him, or anyone else his age applying for OCS for aviation, the Flying CWO program really opened that door for him, me, and many 28 others like us, not mentioning the 15 more they will selct over the next 2 years.

*EDIT* And like Scoob said, I don't want to do a disassociated tour, I have been flying so far my whole career, wouldn't want to walk away from it even for 3 years.

I do not have a BA degree, so OCS was not an option. STA-21 did not interest me because I felt like I would be starting over again. Until this point, I never thought about applying for LDO/CWO. Sub LDO/CWOs tend to be stationed on tenders which are overseas. That is not an option for my family. They want to stay in the USA. I got really interested in aviation when I got on shore duty because my wife bought me a "discovery flight" then I followed through to get my license. So when I saw a chance that I could change from submarines to airplanes, I did everything in my power to make it happen. I am loving life now and am very happy with my decision. I hope this helps!

PS BourneID is correct about the age thing.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Not sure how you would possibly fit in to that organization, but keep in mind, this is the unit that provides the air support to some of the most elite units in the Army.

Actually, we serve all of DOD and other agencies. Neal, what are your questions?

Side note, I've posted on here how creative we are with our recruiting...we just "aquired" a USMC LTC (AH-1 guy) who is now going through training to fly gunships for us as a...WO1! He has got to be loving life. One minute he's a squadron C.O., next he's got nothing more to concern himself with than getting himself and his bird to the right target on time. (and stocking the fridge).

As Bobby said, there are some anomolies associated with being an Army CWO, but how you view them depends largely on where you want to be in 20 years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two CWO threads merged. For future reference, let's try not to start new threads with the same topics as already established threads.

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
but the new guys say that "Search" is too hard to use! they'd much rather information be fed to them without any effort on their part.

Davin

I really hope them implement this again for FY10. i heard about this program back in may and scrambled to get everything together for FY09 (within 2 months mind you), but that 2 months was not enough :confused: i have been with the navy flying club for about 3 years and applying for the civil air patrol with an ultimate goal to get my commercial license down the road. when i heard about this program, it was a dream come true! what i would give to actually fly for the navy!