• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Flying Cwo Program

robav8r

None
Contributor
It's interesting to see that the Navy is . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Navy is doing just fine without you, thank you. Perhaps you should secure that scupper of yours until you can speak with a little more "authority."
;)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Plus, get the flying warrants in the strike community as well. It would be a great benefit to have a strike pilot hone his/her fighter skills year after year after year in the cockpit unhampered by staff/ground assignments.
They already have a gig like this.....its at NAS Key West:D PS- the intent of the program was not to fly fixed wing carrier aircraft.

IRfly

None
For Steeleshark--
Had you ever put in a commissioning package before the one for CWO? If not, what was it about the CWO program that made you want it as opposed to applying to become a URL NFO? Was it just the general CWO benefits, or was there something particular with the aviation CWO program that interested you?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's interesting to see that the Navy is taking its sweet a** time in fully implementing the flying warrant program. Of course the program will be a success. The Navy restricted female pilots from the strike community for 20 years. And, once the ladies were allowed in the strike community on a test basis, surprise, surprise, they were able to be fully qualified in all aspects of carrier ops.

The Navy should make the following changes to the flying warrant program to expand it. Not only select enlisted members, but civilians as well. But the civilians must meet two additional criteria. 1-Meet OCS requirements other than a college degree. 2-Possess a current FAA private pilot license.

If the Navy splits their aviators 50/50 in the distance future between Warrant Officers and URL officers like the Army, then the number of civilian only pilot requirement would be around 200 based on 1200 NA annual training slots. 600 for URLs, 600 for CWOs with a break down of 400 navy enlisted and 200 civilian students.

This test program will be a success and will take over 20 years to fully implement. Like the Army, the Navy should allow the URL officers to become flying Warrants if that's their desire. Not everyone wants flag rank.

Plus, get the flying warrants in the strike community as well. It would be a great benefit to have a strike pilot hone his/her fighter skills year after year after year in the cockpit unhampered by staff/ground assignments.

What background do you have to add any of this...lets see what your profile says....

Additional Information
N/A

I see... :sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125

BourneID

pilot
For Steeleshark--
Had you ever put in a commissioning package before the one for CWO? If not, what was it about the CWO program that made you want it as opposed to applying to become a URL NFO? Was it just the general CWO benefits, or was there something particular with the aviation CWO program that interested you?

Here is your answer, via other posts

Steele,

If you don't mind my asking, what made the cwo flying program a decision for you vice applying for sta-21? It seems to me, all things considered, that anyone who is eligible for the CWO program would likely be an excellent candidate for sta-21, which, seems like a much better option, in my opinion of course.

I am too old. 31 now.

IRfly

None
Thanks for the help, BID, but those posts really don't answer the questions that I asked, do they? From that I learn exactly why he didn't apply for STA-21.

neal0301

Warrant Officer Program

I am a Sophmore in High School and looking to go "high school to flight school". (Warrant Officer Program) Can you guys help me out?

Heres my short bio. (dont want to bore you guys too much) :sleep_125

Sports
2 year starting goalkeeper Varisty at my high school (D1)
Also on a nationally traveling soccer team.

High School
3.2 GPA ----- good enough?????
Friends with all the teachers so i could get a nice recommendation.
Member of high school newspaper/magazine (we are nationally ranked. 4th. Yeah high school papers are ranked)
HERES THE KICKER: If i was to become business editor or even chief editor of the paper. How much could that help?
Lastly, also a member of J. Kyle Braid leadership team. As well as other leadership, community service programs.

Also if anyone knows any information about the 160th. Could you shoot that my way. If i was to become a Warrant Officer and fly, the 160th is where id like to work towards.

Thanks,

Neal0301

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
neal-
This website is primarily concerning Naval Aviation. The Navy's flying Warrant program is only a couple of years old and is currently taking senior enlisted only.
Try one of the Army oriented sites like kiowawarrior.

robav8r

None
Contributor
First of all,

Welcome to "Air Warriors." Second, a thorough search (either here, or on some "other" search engine) will probably give you more info on the topics you are wanting to know more about. As for the 160th, they are a pretty elite unit. Not sure how you would possibly fit in to that organization, but keep in mind, this is the unit that provides the air support to some of the most elite units in the Army. If your goal is truly "high school to flight school", then you can't learn enough, know enough, or be good enough to get through flight school - Army or otherwise. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.
:icon_carn

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am a Sophmore in High School and looking to go "high school to flight school". (Warrant Officer Program) Can you guys help me out?
I'm no expert on the subject, but if your goal is to become a Navy (or Army) pilot, you should look into commissioning programs. At your age, this means NROTC/US Naval Academy/West Point/BDCP/whatever else they have out there. They'll usually pay some (or all) of your college education in exchange for a longer contract if you desire to go that route. Calling your local officer recruiting station would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Navy WOs are only senior enlisted personnel, and it's by no means a guarunteed promotion. I'm not familiar with how the Army does things, but if Army WOs can fly and be accepted straight from HS, there has got to be a catch somewhere (ie lower pay than a commissioned officer aviator/more limited career advancement/whatever). Definitely do a lot of research so that you can find the program that's right for you.

I also don't think you should go into the Army with a goal to serve with a particular unit, just like you shouldn't go into the Navy hoping to serve on specifically the USS Lake Champlain. It might happen if you get lucky, but they're ultimately going to stick you where they need you.

bobbybrock

None
I was an active Army Warrant Officer pilot for 15 years. This is a really good program. I entered after college. Having a 4 years degree opens a lot more doors. Like interservice transfering and other programs.
That being said the few I know who have come staight from high school had high enough SAT's and GPA's to get into the AFA and some other pretty good schools.
If you go to college you can always apply after. Ask those guys on active duty how long it has taken to get their degree? It takes a long time. My adivce is go to college and give yourself more options.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the help, BID, but those posts really don't answer the questions that I asked, do they? From that I learn exactly why he didn't apply for STA-21.
Hmmm...how about the prospect of being a pilot that rotates from operational flying tour, to production, to operational flying tour with no ground job? That would've done it for me - discussions here on how they're careers may actually pan out, notwithstanding.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just because I'm curious: If you had a college degree, why didn't you go for a commission instead of a WO?

BourneID

pilot

Ok he said is is 31 now, which basically takes him out of the running for any other commissioning program to become an NFO, barring if he already had his Bachelors Complete, and was lucky enough to recieve an age waiver as well as being accepted to OCS. I don't know all of Steelesharks background, but most likely, it wouldn't have happened for him, or anyone else his age applying for OCS for aviation, the Flying CWO program really opened that door for him, me, and many 28 others like us, not mentioning the 15 more they will selct over the next 2 years.

*EDIT* And like Scoob said, I don't want to do a disassociated tour, I have been flying so far my whole career, wouldn't want to walk away from it even for 3 years.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just because I'm curious: If you had a college degree, why didn't you go for a commission instead of a WO?
I can't answer specifically for bobbybrock, but a number of people make that choice because they would rather fly a cubic butt ton than fly a desk.