• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Flying Cwo Program

steeleshark2

None
This is a previous post that I had and thought it might be good to repost here for anyone that was interested in the Flying CWO program. The post was:
Originally Posted by wink
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience. You may not be the type to boast or share much in the way of personal information, but I am sure some guys will be interested in what your package looked like so they can better determine what avenue is best for them. If you don't mind, when you get a minute to post, let us know things like your rate, years in service, deployment history, billets ,evals, letters of recommendation, test scores etc.
Good luck!

Here was my reply:

Well I was a submariner NAVET Chief and was in for 12 years. I had an AA degree in electronics, my PPL, Instrument and Ground Instructor certifications. I also participated with the Civil Air Patrol (qualified Mission Pilot) to fly SAR missions. When I got selected, I was an instructor at Tident Training Facility Kings Bay Georgia. My main course of instruction was teaching the PNAVs or Perspective Navigators the Strategic Weapons Navigation Subsystem before they became Navigators of an SSBN (all soon to be Department Heads). I started that as a First Class and then made Chief first time up. I busted my @?? at sea and had EP's with a couple of NAMs. When I got to shore duty, I had average evals (its hard to break out from 110 other First Classes when they were there before you and had all the collarteral duties.) Just get better with each eval and having a sailorization billet helps in general (Helped me with Chief and Warrant). I had an outstanding CO's recommendation (big help) and chose my board wisely (ALSO VERY BIG HELP). I had a CWO4 submariner to represent CWO community, a LCDR NFO that I knew from the JAX Navy Flying Club which represented NFO as well as Aviation community and also had at the time I was the told he was the most Senior LDO in the Navy which of course was a Full Bird as my Senior Member. I could not of asked for better recommendations from any of them. My history, I served on a 637 Fast Attack submarine (USS Spadefish). I decommisioned her then went to the USS Key West Fast Attack. After the split tour, I went to "C" school and transfered to Trident Missile Submarines. I served about 2.5 years on board the USS Kentucky then got transfered to TRITRAFAC as an instructor. Here I am now. I you want more info, please ask. I hope this helps.

Dale

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'm sure you will like P-3's fine. FWIW all the enlisted P-3 guys I know that got SNA and NFO were pretty excited about going back.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got picked up for NFO. The only airframe currently available to NFOs in the program is P-3.

On the ASW side of things, it will likely dovetail nicely with what you already know about subs and their tactics. I had a blast in the VP community, even though I mock them now. ;)

Brett

BourneID

pilot
Just a heads up NAVADMIN 020/08 was just released announcing this program, here is some info......OVER THE NEXT TWO YEARS, 15 SAILORS WILL BE
COMMISSIONED AS CWO2, ATTEND LDO/CWO INDOCTRINATION TRAINING, THEN
UNDERGO FLIGHT TRAINING. FIVE PILOTS AND THREE NFOS WILL BE SELECTED
BY THE JUL 08 BOARD, AND FOUR PILOTS AND THREE NFOS WILL BE SELECTED BY
THE JUL 09 BOARD.

alwyn2nd

It's interesting to see that the Navy is taking its sweet a** time in fully implementing the flying warrant program. Of course the program will be a success. The Navy restricted female pilots from the strike community for 20 years. And, once the ladies were allowed in the strike community on a test basis, surprise, surprise, they were able to be fully qualified in all aspects of carrier ops.

The Navy should make the following changes to the flying warrant program to expand it. Not only select enlisted members, but civilians as well. But the civilians must meet two additional criteria. 1-Meet OCS requirements other than a college degree. 2-Possess a current FAA private pilot license.

If the Navy splits their aviators 50/50 in the distance future between Warrant Officers and URL officers like the Army, then the number of civilian only pilot requirement would be around 200 based on 1200 NA annual training slots. 600 for URLs, 600 for CWOs with a break down of 400 navy enlisted and 200 civilian students.

This test program will be a success and will take over 20 years to fully implement. Like the Army, the Navy should allow the URL officers to become flying Warrants if that's their desire. Not everyone wants flag rank.

Plus, get the flying warrants in the strike community as well. It would be a great benefit to have a strike pilot hone his/her fighter skills year after year after year in the cockpit unhampered by staff/ground assignments.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
It's interesting to see that the Navy is taking its sweet a** time in fully implementing the flying warrant program. Of course the program will be a success. The Navy restricted female pilots from the strike community for 20 years. And, once the ladies were allowed in the strike community on a test basis, surprise, surprise, they were able to be fully qualified in all aspects of carrier ops.

The Navy should make the following changes to the flying warrant program to expand it. Not only select enlisted members, but civilians as well. But the civilians must meet two additional criteria. 1-Meet OCS requirements other than a college degree. 2-Possess a current FAA private pilot license.

If the Navy splits their aviators 50/50 in the distance future between Warrant Officers and URL officers like the Army, then the number of civilian only pilot requirement would be around 200 based on 1200 NA annual training slots. 600 for URLs, 600 for CWOs with a break down of 400 navy enlisted and 200 civilian students.

This test program will be a success and will take over 20 years to fully implement. Like the Army, the Navy should allow the URL officers to become flying Warrants if that's their desire. Not everyone wants flag rank.

Plus, get the flying warrants in the strike community as well. It would be a great benefit to have a strike pilot hone his/her fighter skills year after year after year in the cockpit unhampered by staff/ground assignments.

This again?

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot

Are you talking strictly out of your arse or do you have some experience/credentials to back up your assessment? You know, the type of things one usually puts in a profile possibly.

Just something to consider in the distance future.