• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

jmj689

Aviation cut off is 32 these days...

Do you know for non prior if this is a no exception cut off or is an age waiver possible? My recruiter was supposed to get back to me on this, but he's pushing me to do swo or supply. I know age waiver is possible for current active duty as I've read on these forums.

jmj689

Pretty sure it's no exception, as that's what the age limit typically has always been with those non-priors... At least in my short time.
Dang =/ spent almost 3 years trying to get into air force only to finally get rejected. Didn't know naval aviation would have been an option even with my lasik operation, got medical waiver approved by navy after I went to meps earlier this month. Still gotta ask if age waiver is possible to have peace of mind, thanks for your reply.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Dang =/ spent almost 3 years trying to get into air force only to finally get rejected. Didn't know naval aviation would have been an option even with my lasik operation, got medical waiver approved by navy after I went to meps earlier this month. Still gotta ask if age waiver is possible to have peace of mind, thanks for your reply.
It never hurts to ask, unless you're going to do it anyways if told no. Then, don't ask :). Doesn't really apply to your scenario... but.

Basically, feel free to continue to ask your OR, but if he answered your question with a "not possible" he isn't lying to you. Generally speaking, while enlisted recruiters get possibly a worse rep than they deserve, some of them will be happy to make the possibilities seem like locks (ie, enlist now then go to OCS shortly after boot camp!). Officer recruiters, in my experience, don't need to lie (or even unnecessarily embellish) in order to get the selection boards their numbers. I'm sure it's true for some communities, but back when I was applying I had to do all the leg work and push them to take my package vice him "recruiting" me.

So likely you'll need to decide whether to choose a different community, a different branch, enlist in whatever specialty you want, or not to join. Nothing against enlisting (especially for those much younger than you), but if you can go SWO/etc, your life will be better as an O. If you enlist you'll be the 32+ yr old going through boot with a bunch of 18 yr olds. Then the E1-3 in the same situation, with a 25 yr old (possibly younger) DIVO that is your boss but likely knows less about the real world than you do. And that won't be a benefit to you; in fact it could be a detriment.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the whole max age thing is for real and they don't give waivers. Also, do not enlist if you're otherwise qualified to serve as an officer in another designator.

jmj689

It never hurts to ask, unless you're going to do it anyways if told no. Then, don't ask :). Doesn't really apply to your scenario... but.

Basically, feel free to continue to ask your OR, but if he answered your question with a "not possible" he isn't lying to you. Generally speaking, while enlisted recruiters get possibly a worse rep than they deserve, some of them will be happy to make the possibilities seem like locks (ie, enlist now then go to OCS shortly after boot camp!). Officer recruiters, in my experience, don't need to lie (or even unnecessarily embellish) in order to get the selection boards their numbers. I'm sure it's true for some communities, but back when I was applying I had to do all the leg work and push them to take my package vice him "recruiting" me.

So likely you'll need to decide whether to choose a different community, a different branch, enlist in whatever specialty you want, or not to join. Nothing against enlisting (especially for those much younger than you), but if you can go SWO/etc, your life will be better as an O. If you enlist you'll be the 32+ yr old going through boot with a bunch of 18 yr olds. Then the E1-3 in the same situation, with a 25 yr old (possibly younger) DIVO that is your boss but likely knows less about the real world than you do. And that won't be a benefit to you; in fact it could be a detriment.

Yeah, the whole max age thing is for real and they don't give waivers. Also, do not enlist if you're otherwise qualified to serve as an officer in another designator.

Well that's the peace of mind I'm looking for from my recruiter, I just need him to say not possible, but he says I'm eligible, I don't see how I am if my 32nd bday is in June and the next aviation board is in April, doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I was willing to go enlist route for the air force 3 years ago, enlist first then try to commission after, but now that I'm into my 30's, I've gotta try commission route for the Navy and if aviation isn't an option, gonna try for supply.
Thanks for your replies.

Since you both have exp in the Navy, do you find there is a different amount of respect for officers that came from civilian side vs officers that were enlisted before/graduated from annapolis/rotc?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since you both have exp in the Navy, do you find there is a different amount of respect for officers that came from civilian side vs officers that were enlisted before/graduated from annapolis/rotc?
I was enlisted for 8 years prior to commissioning. Your Sailors will definitely look up to you in a different way because you've walked in their shoes. For your peers and leadership, it's a non-factor. That said, I would not recommend doing enlisted time for that reason alone. It is MUCH more difficult to accomplish all the things necessary to get commissioned while you're enlisted than if you're a civilian.

jmj689

I was enlisted for 8 years prior to commissioning. Your Sailors will definitely look up to you in a different way because you've walked in their shoes. For your peers and leadership, it's a non-factor. That said, I would not recommend doing enlisted time for that reason alone. It is MUCH more difficult to accomplish all the things necessary to get commissioned while you're enlisted than if you're a civilian.

Wow I didn't know that, I would have thought it'd be easier, but I suppose there's probably more red tape. Thanks for the insight.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yes, Mustangs (prior E's turned O's) certainly get some extra respect from the enlisted. My older brother was also 8 years enlisted (Sub Nuke) before going to OCS. As stated by Brett, it definitely makes no difference in your career. In fact, I've seen (from fleet tour, and IP tour) that Mustangs make up some of the best but also some of the worst. The guy that treats enlisted like crap because he's "had to be there and do that". Or the flight student that thinks they're better than the others, almost equivalent to the IPs, because they have fleet experience (and don't even bother to try to hide their arrogance ?). Most though, have the benefit of fleet experience, are better off for it, and the good ones try to help the JOs with less experience along. No difference between OCS, ROTC, or academy, except the academy guys will all have a lot more connections and people they know in other communities, etc. They paid dearly for that with their lack of a "normal" college experience though..

Yes, once you enlist there is a lot more red tape on getting a commission. You can apply right now no problem; once in as an enlisted you would need your command's approval/recommendation to apply. You likely won't get that until you're qual'd up in the rate you signed up for which can take some time. And their lack of recommendation would be a non-starter; whereas now as a civilian you choose your LORs, etc.