• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Bowl Game

FlybyWired06

Seems kind of slimy not to stick it out and finish the season. I have no problem with him leaving for greener pastures (and bank accounts), but he should finish the season.

Yup, it's sad that he won't be on the sidelines at the bowl game. However, it's not unexpected...it seems like the norm these days, when a coach accepts an offer from another school before their bowl game, he does not coach it. I think it's mostly because they want to make the transitition final (you don't show up for the bowl, you're definitely gone) and the fact that the NCAA allows coaches to begin recruiting trips after Dec. 1st. So, it's his way of getting started on preparing for next year at GT as soon as possible and allow Navy to commit themselves fully to the coach search.

I'm going to make this call. We will see GT in the hunt for a National Championship within the next 5 years...Johnson is a perfect fit in a system that is just a good head coach away from being in the national spotlight year-in-year-out.

Good luck to Chet and the Navy crew in trying to replace a great coach!! I'm excited to see who they get!

Tactical387

^agreed, ive seen it happen a few times in college football. They really dont have a reason to stick around since its past their contract and post season stuff.

I wish I was going to to bowl game...maybe Ill get lucky and stumble on a ticket. So how bout the army navy game this year? its almost getting....i dont wanna say it...but...boring to beat army so bad every year! oooo well. cant complain i guess.

KBayDog

You and Kbay just don't "get it."

No, I "get it." Navy is the best team that has ever existed. There has never been a better team in the history of football.

How do I know this?

1. They are 1-43 against Notre Dame in the past 44 years. Very, very impressive.
2. They beat Army. An absolutely phenomenal accomplishment.

Mark my words: They WILL win the Super Bowl next year. They would have won it this year, but they got no respect. I guess some people just don't "get it."

koolaidyugioh.jpg

phrogpilot73

I think KBayDog is jealous because his Alma Mater is 7-4, Impressive win over VMI, Head Coach is up for the Coach of the Year Award, and yet no one knows. No one knows because while every game was televised, none of them were nationally televised. That's what irks him.

MasterBates

I think its more that some of the Annapolis supporters on here have gone waaaaay overboard.

Beat ND? OK. It ended a streak. That would be like me celebrating picking up a supermodel at a bar.. Try enough times its bound to happen, but the overall record is not that stellar.

Beat Army? Fine. But damn, its not like you went into Texas A&M and butt-raped the Aggies at home. I was VERY impressed with that game, and it was nice to watch. You were trouncing someone in "your leauge".

In my opinion, the current "big college" football teams are not much more than a farm system for the NFL and a money maker for the schools. So now, anyone who wants to go pro, with few exceptions, is not going to go to ANY academy. If you went in the wayback machine, when College Football was played more for school pride than a shot at the NFL, and REAL students who happened to be athletes formed the bulk of the team, as opposed to now, when its mostly jocks who happen to major in "sports management" or some such major.

Navy & Army are probably closest to "old school" in that regard, perhaps Yale and Harvard as well, but you have to put stuff in perspective.

Team pride is a good thing.

Sounding like a bunch of drunken Yankees fans is not.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think KBayDog is jealous because his Alma Mater is 7-4, Impressive win over VMI, Head Coach is up for the Coach of the Year Award, and yet no one knows. No one knows because while every game was televised, none of them were nationally televised. That's what irks him.
Ahhh, he has Patronage Excited Need Induced Sports envy.

KBayDog

Keep dreaming, pal. College football means absolutely nothing to me. Never has, never will.

Call me crazy (and I know many of you will), but college, to me, was - and always will be - about academics. If all the partying and rah-rah football stuff meant anything to me, I would have gone to college right after high school and gotten into that sort of thing. I chose a different route, and have absolutely no regrets.

That is what I "get."

phrogpilot73

Keep dreaming, pal. College football means absolutely nothing to me. Never has, never will.

Call me crazy (and I know many of you will), but college, to me, was - and always will be - about academics. If all the partying and rah-rah football stuff meant anything to me, I would have gone to college right after high school and gotten into that sort of thing. I chose a different route, and have absolutely no regrets.

That is what I "get."
Ahhh, now I understand. You don't give a shit, and are just having fun getting us riled up...

You're not crazy, I went to college for the academics and I agree that should be the focus. However, I still love college football. I don't really like watching the big schools for the reasons MB pointed out - they are NFL factories. I do enjoy keeping up with the smaller/shitty schools. The ones where the kids are students first, athletes second - and play their hearts out because they just want to play football...

Being retarded about Navy football?? Well, I blame that on having a father who's class of '63, brother in law class of '93, and have had season tickets (save for a couple of seasons) since I was 6. I've lived through the pain of numerous 1-10 seasons, so yes - I celebrate like a drunken BoSox fan. I would never celebrate like a drunken Yankees fan. Ever.